Vintage Golf

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played at Morecambe Golf Club today in a group of 14 playing vintage clubs.

Lovely weather and a very enjoyable day.
Nobody tore the course up, top score was 32, second 31 and I was in a group of four tied for third on 30 points.

I played the Ben Sayers 1 to PW irons, Penfold laminated 1 and 3 wood and the new putter I had delivered yesterday, an Edinburgh Golf "Rapier".

Back home now and I have a bit of a dilemma, one of the chaps had said he knew someone with some old golf magazines, around 50 dating from 1960s to 1980s, that I could have for £20, couldn't turn that down.
But when he showed me them in the back of his car there were over 200!
I'm now wondering how I can sneak them into the house without my wife noticing......

67401632_493667734780715_3527930083039772672_n.jpg

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
Played at Morecambe Golf Club today in a group of 14 playing vintage clubs.

Lovely weather and a very enjoyable day.
Nobody tore the course up, top score was 32, second 31 and I was in a group of four tied for third on 30 points.

I played the Ben Sayers 1 to PW irons, Penfold laminated 1 and 3 wood and the new putter I had delivered yesterday, an Edinburgh Golf "Rapier".

Back home now and I have a bit of a dilemma, one of the chaps had said he knew someone with some old golf magazines, around 50 dating from 1960s to 1980s, that I could have for £20, couldn't turn that down.
But when he showed me them in the back of his car there were over 200!
I'm now wondering how I can sneak them into the house without my wife noticing......

67401632_493667734780715_3527930083039772672_n.jpg
That putter is beautiful!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi @Crow - a mate of mine who's a complete beginner has been given a free set of golf clubs. A few years old, I don't know much about them, wonder if you can shed any light? The irons are Nicklaus Golden Bears apparently, bit of a cavity on them so might have a bit of forgiveness for him? They're not the widest sole-wise though and not sure about the offset. Pictures below.

IMG-20190819-WA0005.jpgIMG-20190819-WA0008.jpgIMG-20190819-WA0009.jpg

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
They'll be a good starter set, forgiving and you don't get better value than free.

I'd guess 10 or 20 years old, MacGregor used to make various Golden Bear lines endorsed by Nicklaus, although these might be by Jack's own company.
Not the top quality but perfectly serviceable.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They'll be a good starter set, forgiving and you don't get better value than free.

I'd guess 10 or 20 years old, MacGregor used to make various Golden Bear lines endorsed by Nicklaus, although these might be by Jack's own company.
Not the top quality but perfectly serviceable.
Cheers. The woods look a bit tatty, but the irons were actually in pretty good nick given the age. Not sure if they've had much use. (y)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Won these on ebay, Slazenger Peter Alliss.
Has anyone heard of the shafts, Slazenger "TIMEFLEX"?
They have closely spaced steps but they happen at a different point depending on the iron, short irons close to the grip, the longer the iron the further down the shaft it goes as per picture below, if you can make it out. I imagine that this will make the shorter irons softer and the longer irons stiffer.

1567611991871.png
1567612042390.png
1567612215469.png

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I needed to make some space in the garage, and it's not the best place to keep "valuable" old clubs anyway.

Negotiated some cupboard space with the good lady (she's remarkably understanding) and put this in yesterday, two sets of irons on each shelf and space for some putters in between.

I've begun filling it and should be able to get over 75% of my irons in there, just need to find somewhere for the woods now....

1568025511832.png 1568025566887.png
1568025649538.png 1568025697337.png

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I needed to make some space in the garage, and it's not the best place to keep "valuable" old clubs anyway.

Negotiated some cupboard space with the good lady (she's remarkably understanding) and put this in yesterday, two sets of irons on each shelf and space for some putters in between.

I've begun filling it and should be able to get over 75% of my irons in there, just need to find somewhere for the woods now....

View attachment 28186 View attachment 28187
View attachment 28189 View attachment 28190
You're obsessed Man....:ROFLMAO:(y)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

View attachment 28186 View attachment 28187
View attachment 28189 View attachment 28190

Haha thats brilliant Nick, I see you left room for plenty more too

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
What a prize knob I am.

One of my favourite putters is a Spalding Model W from the 1930s so I was excited to see another one in an on-line auction with a hickory shaft and put in a bid, which won! The seller wasn't too far away so I went to collect to save on postage.
While there he asked if I wanted to look at some old steel shafted clubs he had in his shed, my eyes lit up and off we went.
The first thing I saw was a good hickory tee club which I've been after for ages, the shaft must be around 44 inches which is very rare for hickory and it has a good swing weight.

Anyway, we came to an agreement on price and I had a further look round, there weren't many irons there but as I was going I saw a couple of Leyland irons in a bag at the back, I've been after a set of these for a while and so eagerly rummaged around the bag and pulled out the full set of Leyland "Scottish Lion" 2 to 8 iron and a putter, agreed a price and left a happy man.

Later in the day I was able to look a little closer at the clubs and then I noticed it, the Leyland irons are left handed!

Luckily the irons were a low price but how I managed to pull them all out the bag without noticing they were left handed I don't know. :oops:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What a prize knob I am.

One of my favourite putters is a Spalding Model W from the 1930s so I was excited to see another one in an on-line auction with a hickory shaft and put in a bid, which won! The seller wasn't too far away so I went to collect to save on postage.
While there he asked if I wanted to look at some old steel shafted clubs he had in his shed, my eyes lit up and off we went.
The first thing I saw was a good hickory tee club which I've been after for ages, the shaft must be around 44 inches which is very rare for hickory and it has a good swing weight.

Anyway, we came to an agreement on price and I had a further look round, there weren't many irons there but as I was going I saw a couple of Leyland irons in a bag at the back, I've been after a set of these for a while and so eagerly rummaged around the bag and pulled out the full set of Leyland "Scottish Lion" 2 to 8 iron and a putter, agreed a price and left a happy man.

Later in the day I was able to look a little closer at the clubs and then I noticed it, the Leyland irons are left handed!

Luckily the irons were a low price but how I managed to pull them all out the bag without noticing they were left handed I don't know. :oops:

haha Nick, brilliant. def think you need to try a session at the range with them!!!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What a prize knob I am.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What a prize knob I am.

A left handed club ( or two or three or four) is always useful. You could get a left handed handicap.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
When we were kids we had some old hickory clubs that we messed around with in the garden.
My brother told me a while back that he still had the putter and did I want it, of course I did!

Looking at it in more detail I decided that it was actually a cleek or driving iron that someone had cut down at some stage in its life, probably to give to their kids as a putter.

Anyway, I bought a new blank shaft and have just finished fitting it and this evening re-gripped. I hope to have a few hits with it tomorrow evening but the weather looks a bit iffy so it'll most likely be christened in a hickory match I'm playing in on Saturday, hope the head doesn't fly off!

Below are pictures of;
  • Before with 35" length shaft.
  • Head ready to fit to new shaft.
  • Completed club at 39" length.

1570742904587.png

1570742967326.png

1570743010265.png