Vintage Golf

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played in a society day today at Sandwell Park GC near Birmingham. Playing Titleist persimmon driver, Uniroyal Arnold Palmer laminated 3 & 4 woods, Ben Sayers Ray Floyd irons, 3 to SW and a Greenway putter.

After some utter dross recently I played okay today, 18 points out and started the back nine 3, 2, 3 but then let it slip over the last 6 holes and finished with 33 points. Still much better than recent weeks though.

https://www.sandwellparkgolfclub.co.uk/club/club-history/

Edit: Forgot to say, I was playing a Titleist Tour Balata 90 too, as kindly supplied by clubchamp98. (y)

1555010061915.png

Last edited:

PineRings82

Visit site
Hi all,

I am opted to join this forum as I have a question that I do not have any information on and need some guidance and advice.

My father is turning 70 this May 2019. He has been a avid golfer for over 20 years. I was thinking along with my siblings it would be great to get him a ticket to watch a golf tournament here in the UK. What I wanted to ask is, which UK golf tournament would be the best to go to, and with reasonable ticket costs £100-200 is ok. He will be fine to just go for the one day, we will pay for accom for him and my mum.

My fathers all gold hero is Tiger Woods, which uk tournament will he get best chance to see him? would it be the British open? or something else? would tickets still be available ? anyone selling ?

I don't live with my parents anymore and my father is getting on, hes a humble man never really asked for anything . I want him to experience something special.

Much appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Thanks Golfers

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Question for the vintage golf experts, what do you know about Max Faulkner pinseeker blades?

I think my parents took a set of these to the skip or charity shop, so sadly they are not around but interested to know more about the clubs, if anyone has any info?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Question for the vintage golf experts, what do you know about Max Faulkner pinseeker blades?

I think my parents took a set of these to the skip or charity shop, so sadly they are not around but interested to know more about the clubs, if anyone has any info?

They were made by Harold Bird & Son who were based in Aldridge, West Midlands.
HB&S turned out many clubs during their time, started in 1929, Stuart Bird the son of Harold sold to Robin & Sandra (daughter of Harold) Chapman in 2004 and became Harold Bird Golf. Imported from China for a short while but I believe no longer in business.

Your clubs weren't particularly valuable but sadly they suffered the fate of many old sets, If you wanted to you'd be able to find another set on ebay at a reasonable price. They date from around the late 1960s.

I'm guessing that this is the model you're referring to.

1555070950993.png

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They were made by Harold Bird & Son who were based in Aldridge, West Midlands.
HB&S turned out many clubs during their time, started in 1929, Stuart Bird the son of Harold sold to Robin & Sandra (daughter of Harold) Chapman in 2004 and became Harold Bird Golf. Imported from China for a short while but I believe no longer in business.

Your clubs weren't particularly valuable but sadly they suffered the fate of many old sets, If you wanted to you'd be able to find another set on ebay at a reasonable price. They date from around the late 1960s.

I'm guessing that this is the model you're referring to.

View attachment 27068

Yes, from memory they looked exactly like that. I wasn't expecting them to be valuable, just curious around the history of them. Might look on ebay at some point, and get some just for nostalgia.

They had a set of persimmon woods with them also, but I cannot remember any details about these clubs, unfortunately.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Yes, from memory they looked exactly like that. I wasn't expecting them to be valuable, just curious around the history of them. Might look on ebay at some point, and get some just for nostalgia.

They had a set of persimmon woods with them also, but I cannot remember any details about these clubs, unfortunately.

If they were by HB&S then they'd most likely have been laminated maple rather than persimmon (most post-war UK made woods were laminated), which is still very playable.

Here are an HB&S 1 & 3 wood from my collection.

HB&S 1 & 3 woods.jpg

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If they were by HB&S then they'd most likely have been laminated maple rather than persimmon (most post-war UK made woods were laminated), which is still very playable.

Here are an HB&S 1 & 3 wood from my collection.

View attachment 27069
I wish I could remember. I don't think I even have any old photos of them. If I can find, then I will post them.

Sandsider

Visit site
I'm new on here. There are a couple of slots playing persimmon and blades at Fleetwood, Lancashire (nice old links course) on Thurs. May 9th, tee off 10.30. If you happen to be in the area, not far from Hillside and British Masters presented by Tommy himself, you would be more than welcome, cost...a mahussif £20, pref with a County Card. Let me know on here. Note I'm off grid for a week from Sat.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I'm new on here. There are a couple of slots playing persimmon and blades at Fleetwood, Lancashire (nice old links course) on Thurs. May 9th, tee off 10.30. If you happen to be in the area, not far from Hillside and British Masters presented by Tommy himself, you would be more than welcome, cost...a mahussif £20, pref with a County Card. Let me know on here. Note I'm off grid for a week from Sat.

Should be a good day, and a bargain.

I'm going (but don't let that put you off).

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Took delivery of these today, I'm guessing a bit of a retro slant with the naming rather than numbering of the clubs as I believe these to have been made in the 1960s, although elements of them do look earlier.

My understanding is that Swilken came about after the final withdrawal of Spalding from the UK. The advert shown (along with a few other classifieds for your amusement) is from a 1966 Golf World magazine.

Leather grips.
The chipper looks to be a stand alone club as the back of the head has a different design as shown in the picture, the chipper has the Saltire.
The cleek is 38.5" long so around a 2 iron, in any event they'll make a nice half set to carry in the evenings!

rhruqwaa5lus.png

83e6thcb0162.png
n5kiq1pjr6sq.png

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Hi all,

I am opted to join this forum as I have a question that I do not have any information on and need some guidance and advice.

My father is turning 70 this May 2019. He has been a avid golfer for over 20 years. I was thinking along with my siblings it would be great to get him a ticket to watch a golf tournament here in the UK. What I wanted to ask is, which UK golf tournament would be the best to go to, and with reasonable ticket costs £100-200 is ok. He will be fine to just go for the one day, we will pay for accom for him and my mum.

My fathers all gold hero is Tiger Woods, which uk tournament will he get best chance to see him? would it be the British open? or something else? would tickets still be available ? anyone selling ?

I don't live with my parents anymore and my father is getting on, hes a humble man never really asked for anything . I want him to experience something special.

Much appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Thanks Golfers
As nobody else has replied to this.....

The ONLY UK tournament TW is likely to compete in is The Open. This year it's at Royal Portrush in County Antrim Northern Ireland. So not exactly 'local' even if still in UK! Not sure of ticket prices, but a single day would be much less than that budget. However, travel and accomodation would likely blow it by a significant amount! Wrong year unfortunately!

If you are quick, you may be able to get to The British Masters - at Hillside. But that's from 8-12 May, so speed is of the essence! The other 'big' tourney is the PGA at Wentworth - in mid September.

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
As nobody else has replied to this.....

The ONLY UK tournament TW is likely to compete in is The Open. This year it's at Royal Portrush in County Antrim Northern Ireland. So not exactly 'local' even if still in UK! Not sure of ticket prices, but a single day would be much less than that budget. However, travel and accomodation would likely blow it by a significant amount! Wrong year unfortunately!

If you are quick, you may be able to get to The British Masters - at Hillside. But that's from 8-12 May, so speed is of the essence! The other 'big' tourney is the PGA at Wentworth - in mid September.

https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/uk-golf-tournament-2019-birthday-present-help.101148/

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
9 vintage club enthusiasts met at Fleetwood GC today for a persimmon and blades meet.
Got lucky with the weather, raining for most of the drive up there and still spitting as we teed off but cleared by the third and we didn't see any more until the 18th green!
I was playing mostly Dunlop Peter Thomson plus a Slazenger 2 wood and a Spalding putter. (I didn't play the Tony Penna 1 wood but instead a Dunlop Peter Thomson kindly given to me by one of the guys as he'd seen I was playing the irons and he doesn't use it.)

A good day for me compared to recent scoring with 35 points.

58462840_433757684105054_8859520235946901504_o.jpg

Sandsider

Visit site
Fleetwood is a great links track and an inexpensive day out. There were some stunning sets of vintage blades and some museum quality persimmon blocks on show. A couple of the guys amassed 36 points incuding our own Crow. There are short video clips on the Persimmon Golf Society's Facebook page which are unfortunately too big to download here. I'll have a go at editing them.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fleetwood is a great links track and an inexpensive day out. There were some stunning sets of vintage blades and some museum quality persimmon blocks on show. A couple of the guys amassed 36 points incuding our own Crow. There are short video clips on the Persimmon Golf Society's Facebook page which are unfortunately too big to download here. I'll have a go at editing them.
Good to hear you thought a lot of Fleetwood as I am playing there in September

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have just been offered a set of Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge irons.
Blade type things.

3-PW I think?
They look in decent enough condition considering their age.
They were in a bag with a load of other bits, wooden drivers etc.
I don’t have any use for them but the guy is a lovely old man so thought I would see if anyone is interested?
He said £20 for the lot.
I have tried to upload a photo but it says the file is too large?
I am a complete moron when it comes to technology so I very much doubt I will ever be able to get a photo uploaded!🙈

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I have just been offered a set of Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge irons.
Blade type things.

3-PW I think?
They look in decent enough condition considering their age.
They were in a bag with a load of other bits, wooden drivers etc.
I don’t have any use for them but the guy is a lovely old man so thought I would see if anyone is interested?
He said £20 for the lot.
I have tried to upload a photo but it says the file is too large?
I am a complete moron when it comes to technology so I very much doubt I will ever be able to get a photo uploaded!🙈

Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge was a very popular line and a solid set of blades, ideal for anyone thinking of dipping their toe into vintage golf (you know you want to!).

I'd be interested myself but I generally only buy UK manufacturers.

What are the woods, are they Blue Ridge too?