Vintage Golf

Mr Hip

Medal Winner
Visit site
Jason Dolman, I played with him at Aberdovey and said I knew you from the forum. he was at Clitheroe as well.

You should have no trouble finding woods but persimmons are a little trickier.

Here's a Slazenger Hogan Speedslot, laminated.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ben-Hogan...173962?hash=item41cc66f60a:g:NTYAAOSw8btZiIwe

Now we're talking!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hogan-ape...550589?hash=item3aee166e3d:g:2HMAAOSwIMdZlvJk
I've got a Hogan and a Toney Penna languishing in the garage. Also hit some shots with my 1976ish Ping 1 iron recently. All the feel of a broom shank! Didn't carry far but ran for miles.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Talking of Toney Penna drivers, I picked this one up recently from ebay, MOD JS, otherwise known as the Jupiter Slugger, who wouldn't covet a club with that name? :D

It's a deep face driver from 1984, it looks a beast, I hope to give it a trial on Sunday.

Pictures below, the face picture hasn't been squeezed, those are the actual proportions.

Toney Penna face.jpgToney Penna sole.jpg

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I played vintage clubs today and....

Winter League 4BBB, playing 1960s Dunlop Peter Thomson 1, 2, 3 & 5 woods, 3 to SW in the irons, and a Bronty Silver Knight putter.
(I recently completed this set with the missing 9 iron and a 2 wood into the bargain)

Had a decent round for a change and we won 4 and 3, three birdies including a 2 for the twos pot.

Peter Thomson set.jpgBronty Silver Knight face.jpg

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nick, bumped into a lad I used to play footy with years ago at the course tonight - his name is Jay, think hes bumped into you before, possibly at Aberdovey.

Hes into the vintage stuff, also.

I'm still looking to add some persimmon woods to my Hogan apex ii's.

Looked online and seen a few possibles, just waiting for them to get back to me on shaft types.

Also tried to see what the numbers relate to, but you have to trawl through loads of ebay stuff - is shaft flex 4 a stiff?

Last edited:

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
Just picked up a set of Haig Ultra 390 irons for silly money (nz$12.50, about £6) so will be having a go at the vintage thing.

I'm guessing they're from the 70s so not in bad nick but oh-so small and with silly thin soles. Maybe something of a challenge to hit.

Alas no woods (yet), but I'd probably ruin them anyway.

bm

Attachments

• 904122114.jpg
    904122114.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 16
  • 904122145.jpg
    904122145.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 15

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Just picked up a set of Haig Ultra 390 irons for silly money (nz$12.50, about £6) so will be having a go at the vintage thing.

I'm guessing they're from the 70s so not in bad nick but oh-so small and with silly thin soles. Maybe something of a challenge to hit.

Alas no woods (yet), but I'd probably ruin them anyway.

bm

Great clubs and great a price.

You'll soon get used to the head size, back in the 70s all clubs were this size. :)
Get some woods, play a softer ball and they'll be fine.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
A few recent additions:

Bronty Tournament (Bronty, what a great budget brand from back in the day, they used to make huge numbers of putters and chippers!)

Bronty Tournament.jpg

Pirie "JN McKenzie", if anybody has heard of this Pro from sometime around the 1930s to 1950s I'd be grateful of any information.

Pirie JN McKenzie.jpg

Ben Sayers Parex putter
Flanged blade style with a nice weight to it.

Ben Sayers Parex putter.png

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Crow have you ever tried soaking very rust old iron heads in Coke?

we were discussing this today, most of mine are pretty rusty and wondered if this would work on rust as well as it does of other corroded metal???

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

we were discussing this today, most of mine are pretty rusty and wondered if this would work on rust as well as it does of other corroded metal???

Not something I've tried. I've heard of Coke being used on chromed clubs where the rust has spread over the chrome but I don't think it would have much effect on a raw steel head, it does work well on brass. The only way to find out is to try it, maybe on the toe only of one of your irons. I'd make sure that you don't get the shaft wet if you then go on to do the whole head.

I like my irons to show their years so a bit of rust doesn't concern me. I just use a rotary brass bristled brush that fits in an electric drill to remove larger flakes of rust and buff them up but that's as far as I'd take it.

I know some people like to see them polished up so that they look like chrome but to my mind (if you want to play them) that's just making loads of work for yourself.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Yes it will work fine - it's an acid treatment.
Better is to use a battery, wire and water and use electrolytic action - Google is your friend.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not something I've tried. I've heard of Coke being used on chromed clubs where the rust has spread over the chrome but I don't think it would have much effect on a raw steel head, it does work well on brass. The only way to find out is to try it, maybe on the toe only of one of your irons. I'd make sure that you don't get the shaft wet if you then go on to do the whole head.

I like my irons to show their years so a bit of rust doesn't concern me. I just use a rotary brass bristled brush that fits in an electric drill to remove larger flakes of rust and buff them up but that's as far as I'd take it.

I know some people like to see them polished up so that they look like chrome but to my mind (if you want to play them) that's just making loads of work for yourself.

tried it overnight and def too some rust off, it was coke that had sat in the fridge for a week or so was a bit flat.

going to try it again on a club with a fresh can maybe

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Poor old Sam Snead trying anything to avoid his putting yips, see about 40 seconds in, illegal now of course but he must have been desperate.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
waling the dogs over the side of Torvean this after noon found and old bag in the rough!!!

Swilcan iron, Hickory putter and old vinyl bag, can't have been there long.. What were Swilcan clubs like?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
waling the dogs over the side of Torvean this after noon found and old bag in the rough!!!

Swilcan iron, Hickory putter and old vinyl bag, can't have been there long.. What were Swilcan clubs like?

Swilken came about after the withdrawal of Spalding in Scotland in the early to mid 1960s.

They produced a good variety of clubs, probably the easiest to find is the Alta range which were loosely based around the Ping Eye.
I have a set of Swilken Eric Brown blades (former Ryder Cup player) which are shown below.

Swilken's other main claim to fame was the Q2 range of clubs produced in the 1980s using one of the scrapped bronze propellers from the QE2 refit, I think there were intended to be 7,500 sets made. They retailed at around £1,500 a set and were shipped across the world, mostly to Japan. You see them for sale regularly on ebay in full or part sets.

Swilken went into receivership in 1995 and were acquired by St Andrews Golf Co.

Eric Brown face and back.jpgEric Brown soles.jpg