Vintage Golf

D

Deleted member 21258

Just the thread I need.

The Royal Norwich golf club is having a 125th Year celebration, starting with a 'traditional' golf day. They are providing clubs with hickory shafts, but we have to source our own clothes if we so wish, which I'd like to do! Do you have any links/ideas where best to look for clothes like this. I've tried a search on ebay and assume I'm searching the wrong key words as I'm having zero luck in finding anything!

TIA.

Something like this :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1930s-Styl...id=1536161426&sr=8-4&keywords=golf+plus+fours

If you want more colcourful :-

https://www.royalandawesome.co.uk/mens/golf-plus-twos

2nd hand, they do come up on ebay. HTH.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH why spend a fortune and some of the decent period gear is just that.

All you need is a flat cap and some plus 2 or 4's, then a shirt tie with a pull over on top.

I'm a member of the BHC club and we have a fair few period games and i wear just these. For the English events you have to wear a jacket, so i just got one that was a couple of sizes too big tweed sports jacket.

Wife took a Black and White picture of me and added a sepia effect and told her friends it was my Great Grandad playing golf in the 20's

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
ebay is your friend for old looking gear, jackets aren't required for English meets apart maybe from the English Championship although some do choose to wear them.
A good compromise is an old waistcoat, not too hot and not at all restricting.
Plus fours aren't really necessary as a pair of trousers were more common than plus fours back in the day, you certainly never saw Ted Ray in plus fours, but then if you want to source a pair go for it!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
ebay is your friend for old looking gear, jackets aren't required for English meets apart maybe from the English Championship although some do choose to wear them.
A good compromise is an old waistcoat, not too hot and not at all restricting.
Plus fours aren't really necessary as a pair of trousers were more common than plus fours back in the day, you certainly never saw Ted Ray in plus fours, but then if you want to source a pair go for it!
Two of the guys i plat hickory's with went to one of the English Championships and there was a two shot penalty for not wearing a jacket at Walton Heath..lol

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have these in the garage, not that I would want to use them....

0GvkyoJ.jpg

CQVpcdk.jpg

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Made myself a stand for my Hickory Club bag. basically two varnished sticks with nut and bolt and string to limit how wide they open. very pleased with it.
stand 1.jpg

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Couldn't resist a set of JH Onions Crookshank irons on ebay, even though they've got some of the worst bag chatter I've seen.
3 to SW, ferrules not the best either...
Made in Kenilworth, not a million miles from me.

The shafts (True Temper) are bent near the socket, really visible on the clubs that have lost their ferrules, and the hosels have a bit of a Wilson fluid feel going on, complete with plugs.

Also below is an old advert from 1966 confirming that the shafts haven't been bent in a crude attempt to strengthen the lofts!

Crookshank heads.jpgCrookshank Soles.jpgCrookshank sockets.jpgCrookshank VII.JPG

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I don't have an accurate means to measure them but I'd guess that they're around the standard lofts of the time; 3 iron 24 deg, 5 iron 32 deg, 7 iron 40 deg, PW 52 deg, etc.
might have to get a set like this to try, make s you think, comp with the current jacked lofts;)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
A fantastic late summer day at Notts Hollinwell today, a course that's been on my must play list for a while now and it didn't let me down, one gorgeous hole after another, the weather was a perfect 18 or 20 degrees with a gentle sun and just enough wind to make it interesting. In fact the sort of day's golf that you dream about.

Course details below for anybody interested, definitely the best course in the East Midlands.
https://www.nottsgol...se-tour/hole/1/

The course can be played to suit your game;
Blue tees 7,250 yards, par 72, SSS 76
White tees 6914 yards, par 72, SSS 75
Yellow tees 6,619 yards par 72, SSS 73.
We opted to play from the yellow tees.

I was playing:
Peter Broadbent persimmon 1 wood with graphite shaft (photo)
Slazenger Powerthrust persimmon 2 Wood
Uniroyal Arnold Palmer laminated 3 and 4 woods
Early 1960s Dunlop Peter Thomson 3 to W
Craigton Neil Coles SW (my favourite SW of all my clubs)
1930s Spalding Model W Gold Medal putter

P Broadbent face.jpg
Dunlop Peter Thomson heads.jpgSpalding putter face.jpg

I even started off scoring pretty well, going out in 41, 5 over par and one under my handicap.
The back nine I got into a few bad positions and the scoring fell off a cliff, not helped by two lost balls. Stableford for the round was 19 out 11 back for 30 total which I'm not going to grumble about.

I also parred the stroke index 1 and 2 holes which was nice.

The views are stunning and the rolling fairways make every hole an experience, if you get the chance, play it!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Oh, and on the way home I picked up another set of clubs.
I've been shopping at the budget end again, I don't know why but I have a bit of an affinity for the junk end of the club market, maybe because it reflects my golf game.

Anyway, McGhie "Tiger Tee" (how could anybody pass up on a set with that name?) 3 to SW plus laminated 2 and 4 woods, a pity that there wasn't a putter in the lot, £5 collected.

McGhie Tiger Tee.jpg

Oh yes, I also took delivery today of another great name in budget clubs; Bronty "Silver Knight" putter, a bit of a crib of the Crookshanks putter but after a couple of putts on the carpet this is going in the bag for Sunday's round, £9.50 including postage.

Bronty Silver Knight face.jpg