Vintage Golf

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Holes in the hosel are a Maxwell patent design, the idea being to remove weight from the hosel and so move the CoG more into the head, it was quite popular from around the patent date of 1910 up until the late 20s and not just for putters.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Well the cheapskate in me went and got the bag last night.... and the hickory putter. just put the irons my the entrance to the green keepers sheds.

Bag is just what i was looking for on bounce hickory games. Though its very damp, it does have quite a bit of leather on it, which i will have to be careful don't just disintegrate once it dries.

both zips are a bit done, but luckily those are both Vinyl pockets so could be replaced. one of the pockets was full of small balls, but look mostly rocks.

will post i pic once its drys

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not quite proper vintage but a guy in work has given me a Callaway warbird 7.5 degree driver and a ben sayers 25 degree 7 wood to mess about with at the range.

I told him I remember a mate producing his dad's Callaway warbird driver when we were about 12 and falling in love with the sound it made.

Will be bashing both tomorrow evening.

D

Deleted member 16999

Hi Nick
Picked up the following today: MacGregor Tourney Perimeter Weighted 3-SW. (All with MacGregor grips)
Dunlop Tony Jacklin 1,2,3,4 Wood.
Macgregor Smoothie Putter.
All in an Old Slazenger Bag.

£20.00

Planning on using them a few times over this season.

Haven’t been able to find out much info yet, is there a line were Old becomes Vintage?
6E78B31B-2B48-4515-9320-4DF9295C6399.jpegE4362146-C3DE-4FBF-BB1D-B4419B3A7FCE.jpegD7D3E931-7D3B-4B29-A3DF-65AF65DF6272.jpeg529FDF18-9963-496C-AE1D-A568EC804B50.jpegD33F3E67-0938-4871-A5DD-F95ED8D79444.jpeg

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Hi Paul,
Nice clubs, hope they play well for you!

There's no recognised definition of vintage clubs, I've never come across one anyway.

As a general guide the cut off seems to be late 1980s.
Woods should be wooden.
Irons are more of a grey area, some like to see blades only but many people consider Ping Karsten I, II and III and Eye clubs to be classic which brings cavity backs into the equation.
Putters are similarly guided primarily on date with Anser styles probably as far out as they go but a Zebra putter would be accepted by some.

Your clubs:
  • The woods will most likely be laminated maple as this was commonly used in the UK although some persimmons can be found in top end clubs. It should be easy to tell if you look at the face, laminated will show layers of wood similar to plywood. Laminated make great play clubs, I'd guess that over half of mine are laminated. (What's the fifth wood in the picture?)
  • The irons are cavity backs, not sure on the date but they are without ferrules so my guess would be that they came out in the late 1980s or 1990s.
  • The putter is an Anser style as I'm sure you can tell!

There are very few organised competitions for vintage clubs, the main one last year was cancelled due to lack of interest!

There's one this year in August at Morecambe GC (an excellent Alister MacKenzie course) that looks like it will go ahead, this gives the following guide lines.
Equipment Requirements: Persimmon and blades only:
-Wooden headed clubs representing the era 1930 – 1990, Steel, Graphite or Hickory shafts allowed (My guess is that laminated clubs would be allowed)
-Irons of simple blade construction. (Unfortunately this means yours don't qualify)
-Putters - vintage. (see my comments above)
-Any golf ball can be used.

https://www.morecambegolfclub.com/competition.php?compid=90

I've entered this myself

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not quite proper vintage but a guy in work has given me a Callaway warbird 7.5 degree driver and a ben sayers 25 degree 7 wood to mess about with at the range.

I told him I remember a mate producing his dad's Callaway warbird driver when we were about 12 and falling in love with the sound it made.

Will be bashing both tomorrow evening.

I would be very tempted to put that Warbird driver in the bag instead of my 3 wood. booms out with a lowish flight and seemingly very little spin. could be an absolute weapon on the links.

I will be asking about a price for that club tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 16999

Hi Paul,
Nice clubs, hope they play well for you!

There's no recognised definition of vintage clubs, I've never come across one anyway.

As a general guide the cut off seems to be late 1980s.
Woods should be wooden.
Irons are more of a grey area, some like to see blades only but many people consider Ping Karsten I, II and III and Eye clubs to be classic which brings cavity backs into the equation.
Putters are similarly guided primarily on date with Anser styles probably as far out as they go but a Zebra putter would be accepted by some.

Your clubs:
  • The woods will most likely be laminated maple as this was commonly used in the UK although some persimmons can be found in top end clubs. It should be easy to tell if you look at the face, laminated will show layers of wood similar to plywood. Laminated make great play clubs, I'd guess that over half of mine are laminated. (What's the fifth wood in the picture?)
  • The irons are cavity backs, not sure on the date but they are without ferrules so my guess would be that they came out in the late 1980s or 1990s.
  • The putter is an Anser style as I'm sure you can tell!

There are very few organised competitions for vintage clubs, the main one last year was cancelled due to lack of interest!

There's one this year in August at Morecambe GC (an excellent Alister MacKenzie course) that looks like it will go ahead, this gives the following guide lines.
Equipment Requirements: Persimmon and blades only:
-Wooden headed clubs representing the era 1930 – 1990, Steel, Graphite or Hickory shafts allowed (My guess is that laminated clubs would be allowed)
-Irons of simple blade construction. (Unfortunately this means yours don't qualify)
-Putters - vintage. (see my comments above)
-Any golf ball can be used.

https://www.morecambegolfclub.com/competition.php?compid=90

I've entered this myself
Cheers Nick, Dunlop are 100% laminate, the 5th (5 Wood) is Daiwa, I thought they did fishing gear.
Looking forward to getting them on the course in the spring and maybe even having the bottle ;) to use them in a comp.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Cheers Nick, Dunlop are 100% laminate, the 5th (5 Wood) is Daiwa, I thought they did fishing gear.
Looking forward to getting them on the course in the spring and maybe even having the bottle ;) to use them in a comp.

Daiwa sold a lot of gear from around the 1980s, they made some good stuff including persimmon woods.

Play hem in a comp, what have you got to lose apart from 0.1? :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Holes in the hosel are a Maxwell patent design, the idea being to remove weight from the hosel and so move the CoG more into the head, it was quite popular from around the patent date of 1910 up until the late 20s and not just for putters.

it is indeed a maxwell now i have cleaned much of the rust off, its a very nice putter and sits well, will need a new grip, cut the other off is it was soaked. Bag has come up well to a good clean and a couple of coats of leather balm and starting to supple up
Maxwell 1.jpgMaxwell2.jpgBag Free.jpg

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Nice for nowt!
I like those old bags with the inbuilt rain hood, not sure how practical they are though...
yes, shame you can't make out the pro name, other part is Inverness so can't be too difficult to find out.

as for the hood, i'd imagine it makes a better pocket than it does a rain hood

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
This evening I collected the set of irons I mentioned in another thread, Slazenger +, Jack Nicklaus $1m, I assume that they date from when his career competition earnings reached $1 million, some time around 1969 or 1970.

3 to PW with True Temper Dynalite R shafts and some nice Golf Pride Tour Wrap grips.

A wing-back design reminiscent of some of the early MacGregor sets.

Slazenger Jack Nicklaus $1m heads.jpgSlazenger Jack Nicklaus $1m soles.jpgSlazenger Jack Nicklaus $1m shafts.jpg

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
And today the putter that I'd mentioned previously was delivered.

A putter that I've been on the look out for since I first saw one, Ben Sayers "Moon Shot", I expect this was from around the time of the moon exploration / landings so mid to late sixties.

The crescent moon based design is a bit way out there although it seemed to put a decent enough roll on the ball after a quick practice on the carpet, maybe a little tricky to get the ball in line with the sweet spot but a dot of paint would sort that.

Ben Sayers Moon Shot sole.jpgBen Sayers Moon Shot face.jpgBen Sayers Moon Shot overhead.jpg

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
And today the putter that I'd mentioned previously was delivered.

A putter that I've been on the look out for since I first saw one, Ben Sayers "Moon Shot", I expect this was from around the time of the moon exploration / landings so mid to late sixties.

The crescent moon based design is a bit way out there although it seemed to put a decent enough roll on the ball after a quick practice on the carpet, maybe a little tricky to get the ball in line with the sweet spot but a dot of paint would sort that.

View attachment 26540View attachment 26541View attachment 26542
thats a strange looking thing

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
First time out with the Slazenger Jack Nicklaus $1m irons and the Ben Sayers Moon Shot putter today, all as shown a couple of posts above.

An improvement on my last couple of rounds and even managed to creep into the thirties with 31 points, driving was much better (using a budget Harold Bird & Son laminated 1 wood) and I hit a couple of lovely 3 wood shots using a MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear laminated 3 wood, the only survivor from my first ever set of clubs bought from Argos a few clubs at a time around 35 years ago. :D

D

Deleted member 21258

ping.jpg

Been trying to find some wooden woods, I may actually be able to hit without massively hooking or slicing them, so thought I would try the modernish wooden woods Ping eyes2 ones. Shafts look fairly shiney.:D

Going to give them a go over the weekend, grips are a bit firm so could be interesting. If they don't work they will be going in the old style long drive bag with the others:mad:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
View attachment 26739

Been trying to find some wooden woods, I may actually be able to hit without massively hooking or slicing them, so thought I would try the modernish wooden woods Ping eyes2 ones. Shafts look fairly shiney.:D

Going to give them a go over the weekend, grips are a bit firm so could be interesting. If they don't work they will be going in the old style long drive bag with the others:mad:
got a couple of these i got of Baz, hit the 3 wood a few times, but not the 5

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Nice buy Darren!
I've not hit any myself but Ping woods are reckoned to be some of the easier to get the ball airborne, I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
Hi Nick
Picked up the following today: MacGregor Tourney Perimeter Weighted 3-SW. (All with MacGregor grips)
Dunlop Tony Jacklin 1,2,3,4 Wood.
Macgregor Smoothie Putter.
All in an Old Slazenger Bag.

£20.00

Planning on using them a few times over this season.

Haven’t been able to find out much info yet, is there a line were Old becomes Vintage?
View attachment 26468View attachment 26469View attachment 26470View attachment 26471View attachment 26472
Do like the putter