Vice Balls - Tosh

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I recently commented on their Facebook page that some people wouldn't use Vice balls because of their tendency to discolour. I was contacted by their production manager who said the following "....The urethane covers are more vulnerable to discolorations that surlyn cover balls and these days, we see more and more aggressive fertilizers being allowed by the USGA - golf courses use these to improve the quality of the grass but the friction between the ball and the fertilizer when the ball is hit from the fairway stresses the outer coating and may result in discoloration at some point when the ball is in use (we are talking about urethane cover balls only)...."

Well, that's hardly a reason is it? What does he think the other manufacturers make their balls out of? None of the other Surlyn or Urethane balls I've seen discolour as much. I told him that it didn't bother me but that there was little doubt that Vice balls were worse than most of the others. I got no reply to this. This means that either they are aware of the problem and are, hopefully, working on it or that they don't want to know.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I find the pro v1 discolor quickly so maybe there is an issue with the urethane balls, on a side note i found a vice ball on course a week ago and started using it and the results were great distance was good and around the greens I found it even better its a vice tour ball going to buy a sleeve and see if it was just a fluke

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I found a Vice Pro Plus and a Bridgestone B330S. I have managed 3 rounds with the Vice and 3 shots with the Bridgestone. (22deg hybrid to a par 3 - spot on, 22 deg hybrid to fairway from tee - spot on , 5 iron to green - water).

Based on these shots I think the Vice is a superb ball. It did discolour marginally. No idea about the Bridgestone.

Visit site
Really don’t know why it’s an issue that it discolours, it doesn’t affect the performance. Any ball goes yellow if you whack em into the woods 😂

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have not played for Vice for some years but my main negative about them was the quickness in deterioration of the white finish in comparison with any other premium brand I have tried and I have tried most of them.
Maybe the original Wilson FG Tour were slightly similar in that respect.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I know you love the vice balls Bill. When you sent me half a dozen down for Baghead, first thing I did was put them in the sink with some hot water and bleach. Last thing I expected them to do was turn pink. Now I have done that with every ball I have found on the course that I have intended to use. Only the Vice balls have gone pink. It must have something to do with the covering. That aside, it don't put you off Bill, but it will others. If Vice want to make a big hit on the premium market. They need to address this issue as it is stopping some people from trying and buying.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
They do discolour fairly quickly.

But that really doesn't bother me, they perform really well, as good as a Pro V1 (I play with the Vice Pros) but cost a lot less, so it's not quite as galling to send one into the woods

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
this year i started using vice golf balls and i like them. i did not notice any difference to the pro v1xs i used previously except the price. as to discolouring i have to believe what you write cause i rarely play more than one-and-a-half rounds with a Golfball anyhow. what i did notice is that dirt is clinging to them easier which imo is a characteristic of old golf balls. so i assume they wear off quicker than titleists

_MH_

Visit site
I've used the Vice Tours (which have the Surlyn cover) for about 18 months and they don't seem to have any problem with discolouration or scuffing.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I know you love the vice balls Bill. When you sent me half a dozen down for Baghead, first thing I did was put them in the sink with some hot water and bleach. Last thing I expected them to do was turn pink. Now I have done that with every ball I have found on the course that I have intended to use. Only the Vice balls have gone pink. It must have something to do with the covering. That aside, it don't put you off Bill, but it will others. If Vice want to make a big hit on the premium market. They need to address this issue as it is stopping some people from trying and buying.
Come on man, Tashy. Get in touch with your feminine side!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had plenty of Vice balls and not had too many issues with discoloration certainly opposed to Pro V and Callaway Chrome Soft which I do feel lose their brightness quickly. At the end of the day does a little change in colour make any difference to the performance.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Had plenty of Vice balls and not had too many issues with discoloration certainly opposed to Pro V and Callaway Chrome Soft which I do feel lose their brightness quickly. At the end of the day does a little change in colour make any difference to the performance.

It's not even a topic that is up for debate. They drastically lose colour, way quicker than a Pro V or the like.

The only ball as bad is the Wilson Staff FG Tour.