Vice Balls - Tosh

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's not even a topic that is up for debate. They drastically lose colour, way quicker than a Pro V or the like.

The only ball as bad is the Wilson Staff FG Tour.
I haven't had the same issues clearly. That said, my point remains, How does it really affect performance and it's aesthetic only. I have tried the Vice in different ranges and in white and neon green without any issues

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I recently commented on their Facebook page that some people wouldn't use Vice balls because of their tendency to discolour. I was contacted by their production manager who said the following "....The urethane covers are more vulnerable to discolorations that surlyn cover balls and these days, we see more and more aggressive fertilizers being allowed by the USGA - golf courses use these to improve the quality of the grass but the friction between the ball and the fertilizer when the ball is hit from the fairway stresses the outer coating and may result in discoloration at some point when the ball is in use (we are talking about urethane cover balls only)...."

Well, that's hardly a reason is it? What does he think the other manufacturers make their balls out of? None of the other Surlyn or Urethane balls I've seen discolour as much. I told him that it didn't bother me but that there was little doubt that Vice balls were worse than most of the others. I got no reply to this. This means that either they are aware of the problem and are, hopefully, working on it or that they don't want to know.

Must be a load of crap, because the USGA have nothing to do with golf over here.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I agree they seem to discolour quicker. But they still work just as well.

Work around is simply use the red or green ones. I don’t notice it on them as much.

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's not even a topic that is up for debate. They drastically lose colour, way quicker than a Pro V or the like.

The only ball as bad is the Wilson Staff FG Tour.

I appreciate that the Vice balls lose their colour a lot faster than a ProV. The problem I have is that a ProV costs nearly double the price and doesn't have double the performance. I dont care if it goes a bit dingy, it still flies and it still grips. I dont understand how it puts people off, must be a poser thing.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I appreciate that the Vice balls lose their colour a lot faster than a ProV. The problem I have is that a ProV costs nearly double the price and doesn't have double the performance. I dont care if it goes a bit dingy, it still flies and it still grips. I dont understand how it puts people off, must be a poser thing.
They don't dazzle you as much in the sunshine either.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think to be fair to Vice and Wilson, I see many Pro V’s that are yellowed and colour tarnished after no time at all.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I think to be fair to Vice and Wilson, I see many Pro V’s that are yellowed and colour tarnished after no time at all.

Out of interest what are the Wilson FGs like? Didn't know about them until just now, but look interesting, 4 piece urethane for £25/doz would get me interested

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Don’t know, I use the DX3 urethane’s.

I've used them, and think they are good and at the price make a lot of sense. So was wondering what the FGs may be like.

Might have a punt on them. Wilson seem to be making so really excellent stuff but not charging the earth. Fascinating read in mygolfspy about the rise and fall of Wilson if you haven't read it already

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Out of interest what are the Wilson FGs like? Didn't know about them until just now, but look interesting, 4 piece urethane for £25/doz would get me interested

Very soft feel, depends how soft you like the ball to be. Performs better than the Vice as well. (IMO)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

I'm not saying that Tits are twice as good. What I am saying is Vice balls discolour horrendously. I personally don't use them due to performance. They don't fly as far and I just don't like them at all. I also don't use Titleist as I prefer another brand. Everyone has their own preferences and bias towards products.

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm not saying that Tits are twice as good. What I am saying is Vice balls discolour horrendously. I personally don't use them due to performance. They don't fly as far and I just don't like them at all. I also don't use Titleist as I prefer another brand. Everyone has their own preferences and bias towards products.

Totally agree mate, each to their own and i used the Prov1 as an example as thats probably the most played ball out there. Out of interest what do you play?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Snell were one brand that definitely discoloured very quickly. Again another lesser known brand to many another good performing ball. Wouldn't put it on the same level as a TP5X which I think is the best ball out there. I definitely don't see any drop in performance though from any brand that discolours and it's purely a cosmetic thing but wouldn't stop me using that ball in a round

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Snell were one brand that definitely discoloured very quickly. Again another lesser known brand to many another good performing ball. Wouldn't put it on the same level as a TP5X which I think is the best ball out there. I definitely don't see any drop in performance though from any brand that discolours and it's purely a cosmetic thing but wouldn't stop me using that ball in a round

I can't say I noticed that on the Snell balls personally.

But absolutely agree, if it still flies well and grips on the green who really cares if there's a yellow mark on it