Value for money from your membership. Are you getting it?

RollinThunder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was talking to an old fellow who was a founder member of a local golf club, and still has a lot to do with the running of the club, and he was saying that golf clubs in generally are really struggling nowadays with getting new members. His club abolished the joining fee years ago, and brought in other types of memberships, such as student memberships, and is now experimenting with a credits system, and by the sound of it, they're still struggling. Members constantly contribute to the club (or tend to), with their subscription fees, and maybe putting the odd few quid behind the bar, or in the restaurant, perhaps in the golf shop, whereas nomads and societies pay their green fees, buy a bottle of Lucozade and a Mars bar, then have one pint in the bar afterwards, possibly to never be seen again, so ideally, clubs want members to succeed. All I know is that the majority of players in my area are nomads, and only a tiny percentage of them are members.

I personally find that being a member of a club is much more than free or competitive golf. I might pop in to check the notice board, then have a cup of tea and a bacon sandwich whilst on the patio reading a magazine, observing the tee shots on the first tee. It's almost like a retreat and just a place to relax.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
It is the definition of Value for Money I suppose. My club fees are now £1000 p.a. For that I get to play what is regarded as the best course in the area, with stunning views and we own the land around us so nobody can build houses next to us. As my missus says, it's the only thing I really do, and on balmy summer evenings there are not many places I'd rather be.

But it's not only the amount of games I've played. I've made a good number of friends at the club (handy for an Englishman moving to Scotland), sat on the Council so learned more about the club, attended social events, represented the club and these all contribute to my feeling of VFM.

But like all clubs, we are suffering in retaining members. We have retained a joining fee as it stops players flitting from Club to Club. They have a stake in the club. The current financial situation is a major contributor to the decline but the social side of people having a pint after the game has been impacted severely impacted by the new Scottish Drink Drive rules. Now one pint sends you over the limit so many people don't bother. That's a reduction in income to the club.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not :mad: zero qualifiers YTD, have probably played 6 times at my home course. that's cost me more than the visitors green fees.

KhalJimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
I need to join as a full member from next year. Right now I'm on a flexi membership that's £99 for a year and then 30% discount on green fees.

A full membership for me is £999 which is £82 a month. Right now even with my 30% discount I'm still paying over £100 a month on pay and play fees.

I only joined as a flexi member as we are due to be having our first kid this weekend so I know for the rest of the year my Golf will take a back seat from mid August from playing once\twice a week to playing once every two weeks or so with a quick 9 holes in every now and then. I'm hoping from next year that I'll be able to pick it up again and will join as a full member. Although hoping I can get a semi decent bonus this year and pay it all up front next year!

Last edited:

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm a member of two clubs and hold a links ticket at St Andrews, altogether costs me just under £1000 a year and I have access to seven 18 hole courses within sight of town. I don't think there's a better value-for-money place to play golf in the world?

It doesn't come without issues though. Getting a regular game can be tricky and often the choice of where to play and what competitions to go in for means a lot of calendar management. This year has also been tough for me as I've not had as much free time as I'd have liked, but I did get to play the Old Course numerous times whilst it was setup for the Open so I can't complain. :D

swanny32

Journeyman Pro
Tiptree, Essex - Where they make the Jam!
www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk
I pay £73 a month for membership at my place, includes 18 hole course, 9 hole course (not a pitch and putt), gym, swimming pool, various exercise classes and tennis. I'm playing on average, once a week and using the gym roughly twice a week. Definitely getting good value for money in my book. Made loads of friends this season due to playing in a couple of the teams, so now getting to the point where it isn't too difficult to find someone to play with if I'm bored and fancy a knock.

So glad I moved clubs last year, can see myself being at this place for quite a while.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm on a special deal this year so the answer is yes. If I was paying full membership, approx £550-£600, then it would be borderline. I am on the edge of jusification for full membership / lifestyle although I suspect if I was lifestyle I would play less as my wife would question me paying £10 for 9 holes so often. If you have a family, kids etc then the cost of golf membership is tricky to justify at times and I do feel guilty that so much is spent on me alone. I suspect it pales compared to what is spent on the rest of the family but you accept when you are a parent that you have to make sacrificies.

Personally, I would love to see a 9 hole membership option, where your course lends itself to that. Pay half the full fee, play only 9 holes per time, pay £10 extra if you want to do 18 holes. I could easily justify £300 and 9 holes would do me most of the time. I suspect that would attract a good number of people who would then spend in the bar, pro shop, maybe upgrade to full membership when finances allow. That would appeal more than the lifestyle set up.

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Very subjective question, and IMO vfm is very different to average cost per round.

i pay 1200 per year and will play around 90 rounds this year, so average cost per round is just over 12 quid.

the vfm for me however, is having 2 courses to choose from, qualifiers twice weekly, great practice facilities, club matches against other quality clubs, and the fact that I love spending time there.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Very subjective question, and IMO vfm is very different to average cost per round.

i pay 1200 per year and will play around 90 rounds this year, so average cost per round is just over 12 quid.

the vfm for me however, is having 2 courses to choose from, qualifiers twice weekly, great practice facilities, club matches against other quality clubs, and the fact that I love spending time there.

for me all that - and a sense of belonging

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Barely played this year due to family commitments and house renovations, handicap will be inactive at years end, seriously considering moving a bit closer or somewhere that does credits rather than a yearly fee, I'm away for 6 months as it is.
It's not the money as I can easily afford it, but it's very hard to justify.

The Green Fairy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How about, a club that has two courses,one an 18 hole championship course that looks a bit like Augusta and is renowned for its challenge and fine condition. The second course,a proper 9 hole course, has sea views and small raised greens that present quite a challenge but the course is not overly testing, distance wise, great for a couple of hours play on a warm afternoon, before tea, or a gin and T.

The huge, modern, glass fronted main clubhouse serves and overlooks a two kilometer sandy beach and the 9 hole course, with a coffee shop, two bars, an a la carte restaurant and function room, a sports bar with Sky TV.
The clubhouse also provides evening meals and entertainment. Thursday, Friday and weekend evenings from 4p.m. an hourly courtesy bus is provided locally, to transport members and guests to and from the clubhouse to their door. Sundays,champagne luncheons are served. All food and alcoholic beverages are discounted for members.

The smaller second clubhouse, serves the private and secluded 18 hole course and has all the feel of a top members club, quality changing facilities, well stocked proshop, a decent and sociable bar area, that serves snacks, coffee and the usual beverages, a driving range / practice area. Occasionally a barbecue is set up halfway, to provide nourishment for those playing, or watching, the many and varied competitions.

Booking is totally automated, online from your phone or computer. Where from a week to the day before, a display of tee times and bookings can be viewed and slots added to at a click. They are then scanned at the end of a game via a card reader, so there is little manual input required. You just enter the gross scores and strike through a number, as you would on a lottery card. All handicaps are constantly adjusted via this portal.

It is a members club and full 7 day membership for this outstanding and idyllically located golf club, is £380 per annum.

Played at least three times a week from February through to May and will be playing from October through to February, before my membership is due again.
Value for money? Yes, I feel I'm getting it and the club is financially secure.

Snag is, it is the other side of the world - Mollymook G. C. in NSW - so weather is pretty much funshine :)

edited for poor formatting.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think these clubs offering points schemes based on the amount of membership per annum you pay is a great idea. My mate play at Reigate Hill and tempted to get one of these to play with him a few times a year and maybe enter the odd competition as well.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play very few competitions but I love to go up on my own of an evening for a few holes to unwind after the day, very therapeutic. Definately worth my membership.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I measure my membership how much golf I play. Membership at ours is circa £900, through the season, I am at the course on average 4 times a week, whether that is for 9 or 18 it doesn't matter to me. Through the winter, I also play at least once a week often twice, unless the course is closed due to weather. Means I play golf more than 100 times a year, which to me is quids in - if I were to pay by the round for the same number of rounds, I would be paying a lot more, to me my membership is definitely value for money. If I add in the friends I've made, the banter in the club house, the cheaper beers, the good food in the restaurant, it just gets better. Definite plus.

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Being a nomad I don't have membership. I have played maybe 20-25 times so far this year. I have found a few courses/clubs I like to play but would get bored playing the same course week in week out.

There are a couple around where there 2 or 3 courses joint owned & paying at one means you can play at the other(s). This is something I will look into for next year.