Utility companies.... is it that hard to get it right?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
We gave plenty of notice to BT and Scottish Power of closure of our accounts in mid-Feb this year.

Dealing with BT over the phone was, er, difficult/frustrating. Giving the same info time and again so that different screens/fields could be updated was just plain farcical. And then repeating several times that we were leaving the UK was annoying, as they asked were we looking to keep the phone but drop the b'band. But, to be fair, after 2 months they finally got the message.

Scottish Power; oh god, what an absolute crock of.... rubbish. Went through the process of providing a meter reading, then having them come out to take a reading. Then we're accused of not closing the account, and that we owe the standing charge + gas and electric used since mid-Feb - so why did they send a guy out for a final reading. Cue the most stupid game of tennis I've ever experienced when dealing with a utility company. At one point they dragged up an account for a previous property that, apparently, we didn't close the account for.

Sorting the previous account was hilarious. The final nail that sorted that one was when I asked why we hadn't received any correspondence for that account. "Well, you'd moved. I guess there were bills sent to your old address." Oh how I laughed. I asked, "is this call being recorded?" "Good, and for the tape. You guess there were bills sent to the old address. Maybe I should now chase the Royal Mail and ask why our year's redirect of mail didn't pick up any of your correspondence."

A week ago we received an email saying that we owe £258. Two days ago we received an email saying that we are to ignore the demand for £258, and that we are owed £88. And this morning we receive an email saying we will be receiving a cheque for £409. I have no confidence that they have finally got to the bottom of their cock-ups. To be fair, two of the reps we spoke to were great, one of which couldn't apologise enough for the errors he could see on the system - I do wish he'd put some sort of flag on the system that highlighted how far he'd got in sorting the mess as we seemed to have to start from step 1 every time we responded to one of their emails/demands.

Including a couple of calls prior to moving, and the physical visit by a meter reader on moving day, plus about 8 phone calls and a dozen emails since the move... I dread to think what its cost Scottish Power, and me, in phone calls and time.

Always keep all the correspondence you receive. Do follow up phone calls with emails confirming what was said. Don't lose the will to live.

Is it really that hard to close an account?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've had bad experiences with a number of the energy companies either for home or work. They are all consistently inept. None were of any use. It was staggering how appalling they all are and the number of complaints they receive each year would back this up. No other industry is as poor at customer service.

If anyone knows of a good one, not one of the big boys as I have tried them all, then I would happily swap.

You can have good call centres, I'm with First Direct and they are superb, but the energy companies have it all wrong. I agree with your comments on what you need to do but you really shouldn't have to.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be fair, two of the reps we spoke to were great, one of which couldn't apologise enough for the errors he could see on the system - I do wish he'd put some sort of flag on the system that highlighted how far he'd got in sorting the mess as we seemed to have to start from step 1 every time we responded to one of their emails/demands.

This is true of so many companies when you try and sort something out with them. It's infuriating. You feel like you're getting somewhere, call back the next day to confirm and you have to explain the entire scenario again from scratch because they haven't got a clue what's going on.

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve had similar experience with Vodafone, with them setting up two contracts and charging me twice, then when I asked them to close the second contract they set up in error they the. Charged me a cancellation fee of £1200.

It’s funny that when you ask them to listen to the calls you have previously made then all of a sudden things start to get done.

D

Deleted member 18121

I've just "finished" my latest saga with them and basically I've wasted the last 7 months of my life with these jokers.

I moved home in November last year. I wanted SSE to continue supplying my gas an electric so filled in the online forms and knew there would be some overlap, but I didn't expect it to be 7 months with no resolution.

The electric took around 10-11 weeks to move. The Gas still hasn't moved and I told both SSE and EDF to just stop and forget the whole process....the amount of time and energy I've wasted on the phone and in emails is just unreal. Both companies tried billing me for gas at the same time.....both convinced that they were supplying me, then you get the threat of baliffs or being cut off if I didn't pay, all this because they couldn't organise a drink up in a brewery.

Such fun.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its reading examples of this sort of thing which has always stopped me switching any of my utilities, and why I refuse to return to direct debit with them and keep my quarterly bills.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Scottish Power is one company I will not be going back too after all the hassle of changing companies caused by them and their smart meters not working.

More than happy with BT after two renewals of my contract and successful negotiation of 'market' prices. Even got a free upgrade without asking for it this morning after sorting out a very small problem on my revised mobile contract.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've had bad experiences with a number of the energy companies either for home or work. They are all consistently inept. None were of any use. It was staggering how appalling they all are and the number of complaints they receive each year would back this up. No other industry is as poor at customer service.

If anyone knows of a good one, not one of the big boys as I have tried them all, then I would happily swap.

You can have good call centres, I'm with First Direct and they are superb, but the energy companies have it all wrong. I agree with your comments on what you need to do but you really shouldn't have to.

I use Tonik energy and have found them excellent as well as relatively cheap.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Up until yesterday we were paying £65 a month for phone calls for weekend, Internet and line rental. With £10 of that for BT sports.
we have dumped BT sports which I will probably buy off another provider. Dumped weekend calls so I will just use mobile. And the cost is now with EE . £25
That's a saving of £40 a month.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Do a sar (subject access request). That way they have to disclose all their internal discussion about you and you can see where they messed up.
ask for any tapes they might have recorded for training purposes as well.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Not only can they not close the account, today's email says they've set up a new account for a property we left 18 months ago. They've been told countless times we're not even in the UK anymore.