OVO Energy

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Just a heads up for anybody with OVO Energy, please check your statements, after getting notification yesterday of an increase in DD payments I checked our account as I had calculated back in September that with the accrued credit, direct debit payments and government assistance grant we should just about see out the winter without increase.
OVO have been refunding (£66/£67) every month but they have reduced the balance by the said amount meaning we have received no government assistance and they owe us £400.
After a little research on the internet it would seem we are not the only ones this has happened to, please check your accounts if you are with OVO Energy.
I just wonder how many customers there are who are in the same boat, the grant was to help households not Energy companies.

yandabrown

Visit site
Just a heads up for anybody with OVO Energy, please check your statements, after getting notification yesterday of an increase in DD payments I checked our account as I had calculated back in September that with the accrued credit, direct debit payments and government assistance grant we should just about see out the winter without increase.
OVO have been refunding (£66/£67) every month but they have reduced the balance by the said amount meaning we have received no government assistance and they owe us £400.
After a little research on the internet it would seem we are not the only ones this has happened to, please check your accounts if you are with OVO Energy.
I just wonder how many customers there are who are in the same boat, the grant was to help households not Energy companies.
I'm confused, if they have given back the £67 AND reduced the balance by the same amount, are you not then getting double the reduction?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

Like Yandabrown, I'm confused by your logic. Some providers gave credit (effectively reducing the amount you owe) and some gave a refund to source.
If your balance was reduced by £400 over the 6 months, then how can they owe you £400?

RichA

Visit site
Might be worth checking your bank statements. The payments do credit your energy account but should be refunded to your bank account via DD shortly afterwards. So there's no net benefit to your energy account but you've got an extra £67 in the bank.
The payments go to you - your energy provider is just used as a conduit by the government as you've got a direct debit mandate with OVO but not HM Treasury.
That's how mine has worked anyway. I was confused at first as there was no notification.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Maybe I haven't written it very well, we are paying a DD of £209 they are showing a refund of £67 and our account is showing a monthly credit of £142, I thought the government gave all UK households a discount of £400 off energy bills, all that has happened to mine is that I have had my payments reduced by £400 over the winter by giving me part back each month, all this has done ids defer the payment, I government have given me nothing.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My bill each month is £120ish. We get a credit against that of £67 (for the last 6 mths) so our direct debit has been reduced to £53. Once the 6 months is over our DD will go back up to £120ish

If youre still paying them the same amount as you were before then you should be building the credit up on the account and need to reduce the DD?

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
My bill each month is £120ish. We get a credit against that of £67 (for the last 6 mths) so our direct debit has been reduced to £53. Once the 6 months is over our DD will go back up to £120ish

If youre still paying them the same amount as you were before then you should be building the credit up on the account and need to reduce the DD?

Yeah I understand that, I am under the impression the government gave all UK households £400 off there bills, No?
All that is happening on my account is my payments have been reduced, I still have to pay for the energy, just not over the winter.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am with OVO .

My question would be - have you checked your bank account?

They gave me £67 each month via a credit to my bank account and my DD remained the same. So I was given £400 towards the DD payment.

I am not sure what you mean by deferred the payment.

One thing I noticed this month with OVO is that they have not been charging me for the actual gas used just the standing charge so each month my credit balance has been going up not down.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah I understand that, I am under the impression the government gave all UK households £400 off there bills, No?
All that is happening on my account is my payments have been reduced, I still have to pay for the energy, just not over the winter.

you have your £400. they just reduced your direct debit meaning you paid £400 less.
my provider did this but I just raised my DD back to what I normally pay so the £400 stayed in my energy account

your direct debit is just returning to the level it was previously

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

Sorry, I'm still lost. If your payments have been reduced by £400 then you have benefitted from the government scheme (i.e over 6 months, you have STILL benefitted from £400 of credit whether that has been refunded to you directly or as a credit to your energy account).

Everyone still has to pay for the energy, our DD was £274 throughout the 6 months but we got an additional credit of £67 on top of that, effectively making our payment £341 per month for the increased cost of the energy. It's not that complex.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I am with OVO .

My question would be - have you checked your bank account?

They gave me £67 each month via a credit to my bank account and my DD remained the same. So I was given £400 towards the DD payment.

I am not sure what you mean by deferred the payment..

We are paying a DD of £209 we are receiving £67 back, our energy account is showing a credit of £142 for the month, I thought the £67 was from the government and should still de a credit on your account.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Sorry, I'm still lost. If your payments have been reduced by £400 then you have benefitted from the government scheme (i.e over 6 months, you have STILL benefitted from £400 of credit whether that has been refunded to you directly or as a credit to your energy account).

Everyone still has to pay for the energy, our DD was £274 throughout the 6 months but we got an additional credit of £67 on top of that, effectively making our payment £341 per month for the increased cost of the energy. It's not that complex.

Ok, looks like I have this all wrong, I was under the impression the government scheme was £400 off your energy bill, it seems it is not it is just £400 given back to you that you have pay back at a later date.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are paying a DD of £209 we are receiving £67 back, our energy account is showing a credit of £142 for the month, I thought the £67 was from the government and should still de a credit on your account.

If they gave you a credit of £67 to your bank account and a credit of £67 to your OVO account you would be getting double bubble and a total of £800 towards your bill.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
OVO do have an odd way of presenting it, it threw me when they did the oil credit, especially as the "in" and "out" where spread over two billing periods :cautious:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok, looks like I have this all wrong, I was under the impression the government scheme was £400 off your energy bill, it seems it is not it is just £400 given back to you that you have pay back at a later date.

you dont have to pay it back at all.

well we all will through increased costs for coming years

but that £400 is not repayable....

it went off your bill.

its not now put on your bill.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c... every,instalments starting from October 2022.

et a £400 energy discount from the government
The government will give every household £400 off their electricity bill. This is called the Energy Bills Support Scheme.

You don’t need to do anything to get the money and you won’t have to pay it back.

You’ll get the £400 in 6 instalments starting from October 2022. You’ll get:

• £66 in October and November
  • £67 in December, January, February and March
You’ll get the discount monthly, even if you pay for your energy quarterly or use a payment card.

How you get the discount will depend on how you pay for energy.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

What? You don't have to pay that back. It's a £400 reduction from an increased bill. If it wasn't for the £400, you would have paid £400 more than you have overall for your energy.

I think you're just over complicating something that's quite simple.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The government has capped the prices that suppliers can charge their customers. The £67 is separate and may be paid by the supplier as a credit to your bank account or as a credit on your bill.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks guys for the input but, I really don't get this.

Greg says: DD was £274 throughout the 6 months but we got an additional credit of £67 on top of that, effectively making our payment £341 per month.

Ours is: DD was £209 throughout the 6 months but we got an a refund of £67 my energy account credited with £147 per month.

All they have done is give me £67 back, you have had £67 credited to your energy account.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The government has capped the prices that suppliers can charge their customers. The £67 is separate and may be paid by the supplier as a credit to your bank account or as a credit on your bill.

thats not what the £400 is

the £400 was announced months ago before the gov extra support was brought in

the £400 was announced when sunak was number 2

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/400-energy-bills-discount-to-support-households-this-winter

july 2022 announced

the energy support scheme was annoucned by truss when she became PM

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys for the input but, I really don't get this.

Greg says: DD was £274 throughout the 6 months but we got an additional credit of £67 on top of that, effectively making our payment £341 per month.

Ours is: DD was £209 throughout the 6 months but we got an a refund of £67 my energy account credited with £147 per month.

All they have done is give me £67 back, you have had £67 credited to your energy account.

take a screen shot of your bill with any personal stuff blacked out and post it

This is mine Screenshot_2023-03-31-12-28-52-89_903d05fe1ae9780ffdf8ae337b6c882e.jpg