Unreasonable delay for new irons???

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Welcome to the forum

Sorry to say, youre being a dick.

Shops are shut, golf courses are shut and theres far more important things going on. What are you going to do with them if they turn up tomorrow? sit and look at them for 6 weeks?

Uncalled for.

I had a Ping order in, albeit a 3 wood G410. After the initial 6 weeks was up I called the store I ordered from and they contacted Ping, they have changed the order to a G425 as my original order was not expected until Feb. I think this would be a reasonable request for AG to make on your behalf given the timescales. Ask when you next call, it can be done.

Edit: I see this thread has moved on quite a lot!

RichA

Visit site
Morning. I'm the OP and framed the question in a way that invited the dick remark as an option, so it's taken in good spirit.
I massively sympathise with the AG staff and I'm glad that they're being compensated by the furlough scheme. As suggested by someone earlier, it does feel like the pandemic is being used as an excuse in some areas of manufacturing and retail. A friend in a different industry is aware that some large employers that were planning mass redundancies prior to 2020's events have exploited it massively and will blame 2020 when they execute their plans they had already made to cull less profitable areas of their businesses.
My gripe is purely the promise of a delivery time to get a sale. I don't blame the guy in the shop - when I was younger I felt pressure to tow the line, even when I knew it was wrong.
When I asked when the G425 was being released, he even told me that it wouldn't be until the Spring and if I wanted to be using my new irons in time for my 50th birthday in mid-December, I should pull the trigger on the 410s.
I should add that I would still be happy to have bought the 410s, but my view is that I bought a product with a firm expectation of a 4-5 week delivery date, as quoted by the vendor. I didn't invest my money with the prospect of a return of slightly lower value at some point 4 or 5 months later.
I can only hope that AG and Ping will, between them, recognise that their service hasn't shone and do something that retains a previously profitable customer.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
If they say 4-5 weeks and after 12 weeks you haven't got them I think you have more than enough reason to moan, i do know mizuno have a long wait for fitted clubs and Callaway were a bit behind on orders too but 12 weeks seems a bit excessive, contact ping directly and deal with them, on a side note my mate had to get a repair for g400 driver and it took 2 months to get it back no lockdown,

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Morning. I'm the OP and framed the question in a way that invited the dick remark as an option, so it's taken in good spirit.
I massively sympathise with the AG staff and I'm glad that they're being compensated by the furlough scheme. As suggested by someone earlier, it does feel like the pandemic is being used as an excuse in some areas of manufacturing and retail. A friend in a different industry is aware that some large employers that were planning mass redundancies prior to 2020's events have exploited it massively and will blame 2020 when they execute their plans they had already made to cull less profitable areas of their businesses.
My gripe is purely the promise of a delivery time to get a sale. I don't blame the guy in the shop - when I was younger I felt pressure to tow the line, even when I knew it was wrong.
When I asked when the G425 was being released, he even told me that it wouldn't be until the Spring and if I wanted to be using my new irons in time for my 50th birthday in mid-December, I should pull the trigger on the 410s.
I should add that I would still be happy to have bought the 410s, but my view is that I bought a product with a firm expectation of a 4-5 week delivery date, as quoted by the vendor. I didn't invest my money with the prospect of a return of slightly lower value at some point 4 or 5 months later.
I can only hope that AG and Ping will, between them, recognise that their service hasn't shone and do something that retains a previously profitable customer.

I think, in your situation, I'd be having a word directly with Ping. I reckon they could, to retain goodwill, send you directly the G425 irons and take back the AG ones

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think, in your situation, I'd be having a word directly with Ping. I reckon they could, to retain goodwill, send you directly the G425 irons and take back the AG ones

People have often said on here that Ping only deal with retailers and not individuals.

If it were me, I would just be asking for a refund and to cancel the order.

Edit - my current i25 irons were bought from AG as they did a Ping custom fit event. I was only asked to pay a deposit on ordering.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think you should just decide what it is you actually want to happen with your order and then ask AG for that, while stating your justification & reasoning, then see what they reply with (the more reasonable it is the more likely they will agree with you)

i.e do you want to cancel the order, change the products, seek a discount. Are any/all of these even options within your purchase contract

I’d leave out citing any verbal ‘promise/assurance’ that gave you a ‘firm expectation’ of a delivery time but by all means include it if its written on or into the order itself

RichA

Visit site
I did actually email AG and cc Ping UK and USA last week, before I started this conversation. I asked for the order to be fulfilled in its entirety by 31st Jan or a refund issued. No response yet.
Ping have been more informative than AG over the last month or so, but you're right - they make it clear that they aren't comfortable dealing directly with the consumer. Legally, my "contract" is with AG, so it's down to them to resolve my issue and it's down to AG and Ping to sort out their own business, without my involvement. I'm speculating, but I suspect AG need Ping more than Ping need AG, so the big issue is more about AG's bottom line than Ping's reputation with individual bottom end customers like me.

D

Deleted member 16999

Even when you eventually get the 410’s, take them home and go back the next day and use their 30 day price promise:

Returns and Refunds
At American Golf, we want you to be able to shop with confidence. Should you be dissatisfied with a purchase from the American Golf website, you may return unused products in their original packaging and with any labels within 30 days of receipt for a full refund.

Then order the 425’s, I know it means another delay, but you get the latest Clubs.

sunshine

Visit site
In a nutshell:
- Long delay is par for the course and perfectly reasonable in the current environment.
- Lack of communication is poor.

The delay is caused by the custom fit. Plenty of standard spec clubs floating around the system, in stock in stores and warehouses. If you want something customised it has to work its way through the whole manufacturing and supply chain, starting at the back of a long queue.

sunshine

Visit site
What a ridiculous way to speak to another forum member. Hopefully mods will correct.

Yes, we are in lockdown now but this order should have been fulfilled long ago.

To the OP, a friend of mine ordered a set of i210 irons through our pro and they arrived in about a week. These were custom and arrived without grips so he could fit his own ones.

Maybe if he had waited for grips it would have taken another 3 months? :LOL:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In a nutshell:
- Long delay is par for the course and perfectly reasonable in the current environment.
- Lack of communication is poor.

The delay is caused by the custom fit. Plenty of standard spec clubs floating around the system, in stock in stores and warehouses. If you want something customised it has to work its way through the whole manufacturing and supply chain, starting at the back of a long queue.

I wonder how my mate got a set of custom fit i210 irons in about a week not long before Xmas?

I believe Ping custom fit clubs are just assembled from stock parts. The lie angle is adjusted to suit at their facility from standard heads. Bend as required and put the correct colour blob of paint on.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I wonder how my mate got a set of custom fit i210 irons in about a week not long before Xmas?

I believe Ping custom fit clubs are just assembled from stock parts. The lie angle is adjusted to suit at their facility from standard heads. Bend as required and put the correct colour blob of paint on.
It all depends on the availability of the components and how much customisation was required
They obviously had everything they needed to fulfill his order, they obviously haven't for the OP.
G410 was always more popular than i210

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It all depends on the availability of the components and how much customisation was required
They obviously had everything they needed to fulfill his order, they obviously haven't for the OP.
G410 was always more popular than i210

So components (probably heads) must be in short supply.

Imurg

Visit site
So components (probably heads) must be in short supply.
Could be shafts too.
Don't forget G410 is running out so stock would be more limited anyway as they don't want to be left with heads when the 425 hits the shops.
One of the potential issues with buying a product that's being replaced.

Imurg

Visit site
Is the 410 being discontinued? Sometimes Ping run more than 1 model at the same time.
I think they only run an old line alongside newer ones is if there's nothing to directly replace the older club.
425 is a direct replacement for 410 so 410 components will have been harder to come by since Oct/Nov at a guess.

SaintStu

Visit site
Afternoon all,

I'm in a similar situation waiting for my new clubs and as annoying as it is these are not normal times and I was pre-warned!

I decided to purchase a set of new irons as previously been using a second hand set of Dunlop's and felt the time was right to buy my own set that were mine from new. Contacted a local club who do customer fitting on several different brands and arranged an appointment with the club Pro on the 2nd November and tried various different clubs. The Pro suggested trying the Mizuno JPX921 HotMetal which I got on great with but before I had even hit a ball with them he warned me it could be up to 6 weeks for delivery due to a shortage of heads and shafts at Mizuno in Scotland.

After we had found the right combination that worked best for me and going through the data I was happy enough to go ahead with the purchase which he kindly priced matched from the internet (I believe it was Clubhouse Golf) and as we were about to go into another Lockdown he said we were looking at delivery around Christmas week all being well. He did say I could pay a deposit and the rest on collection but whilst I had the cash I payed up front in full (5-SW)

Once Christmas had passed and no news I went to the club to use the range, and decided to pop into the shop to see if they had any update. No clubs had arrived so was told it would probably be the following week but as the Pro who fitted me wasn't available it was best to email him. Sent an email just to check for an update and he informed me he would contact his Mizuno rep and find out and get back to me. I have now been told that the components are due to Mizuno on 28th January and expected delivery will be early Feb to the club but as they are not offering a click and collect service I will just have to wait until Lockdown is lifted to be able to collect them.

As frustrating as it is waiting for some nice new clubs, if the parts are not available what can you do!! And although I have a net in the garden its not the same as being able to play out on the course. I certainly haven't considered canceling my order as I'd be back to the back of the queue and it also hasn't put me off ordering clubs again in the future.