Unreasonable delay for new irons???

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In fairness to Fundy I didn't read it that he was being insulting or rude (hence the welcome element of their post). The OP phrased the question with "am I being a dick" so they just responded using the same language as that was one of the options the OP had given as a response in the same way reddit has the "AITA" threads.

Fair enough. ?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
A work colleague of mine ordered some Lynx irons through AG and the set were missing 2 irons (I think 7 & 9) and he had to wait months for that. He lives in England and couldn't play anyway so whilst it has been a frustrating wait for them, he has been quite pragmatic about it. They've finally arrived but of course he still can't play.

RichA

Visit site
Thanks for all the comments, none of which offended me. I did invite the dick description.

I was trying to figure out whether I was being impatient or had cause to feel aggrieved. The balance of the replies suggests I'm right to be in two minds.

The current situation is far from normal, but the pandemic was in its tenth month when AG told me the clubs would be 4 to 5 weeks and Lockdown 3 started 9 weeks after my order was placed. AG continue to trade online, taking orders for new clubs to be delivered mid-Feb and selling a variety of products that allow customers to practice with their clubs at home.
I'm very lucky to be working and not to have had to research the furlough scheme too closely, but I don't believe that it was mandatory for retailers to send their entire workforce home indefinitely. Immediately closing a store without leaving someone to handle outstanding orders or update customers seems to me, with my very limited knowledge, like an entirely commercial decision. Next time I buy golf clubs maybe I'll get a free fitting at AG then make a cynical commercial decision and order them from Scottsdale Golf, where I get a discount through my employer's benefit scheme.

Ping have been willing to communicate limited information to me where AG haven't, but even though most of the delay is their fault, it's AG that took my money and gave me a delivery date. AG is Ping's customer and I'm theirs. AG should be chasing Ping but they're all at home. And it turns out that most of the set (minus 2 clubs) was delivered to AG a couple of weeks before lockdown.

By way of comparison, the lockdown lead time for a factory order of a new VW car is currently 3-4 months - about the same as I will have waited for my eight golf sticks. Maybe AG will throw in a set of velour mats as a goodwill gesture, assuming they ever reopen the store.

RichA

Visit site
Get your name down for one of the "meets," you'll get called much worse!" :)

Is the Scottsdale discount "BLC?"
Yes. 10% would have almost paid to add the gap wedge. Never used them yet, but you seem to be able to make a custom order online and use the discount, which you can't at AG.
Would have liked to use a local shop, but my club doesn't have a pro shop and the local big club doesn't exactly make non-members feel welcome to use their facilities. The local non-club affiliated shop with a fitting "suite" is bizarrely even less welcoming of customers.

birdyhunter

Visit site
I had a similar thing with AG and Ping irons shortly before the November lockdown.

Due to a shortage of Ping shafts there was a 5 week wait and they should have been ready on the Thursday which was day 1 into the 4 week lockdown. Needless to say they didn't arrive, which was unfortunate as courses remained open. I called AG and the guy said there was absolutely no chance of them arriving as their delivery depots had to close.

They arrived a couple of days after lockdown finished. It sounds like you've been unlucky in that your order should have arrived long before lockdown, but don't hold your breath now, it seems like nothing happens in the current situation.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments, none of which offended me. I did invite the dick description.

I was trying to figure out whether I was being impatient or had cause to feel aggrieved. The balance of the replies suggests I'm right to be in two minds.

The current situation is far from normal, but the pandemic was in its tenth month when AG told me the clubs would be 4 to 5 weeks and Lockdown 3 started 9 weeks after my order was placed. AG continue to trade online, taking orders for new clubs to be delivered mid-Feb and selling a variety of products that allow customers to practice with their clubs at home.
I'm very lucky to be working and not to have had to research the furlough scheme too closely, but I don't believe that it was mandatory for retailers to send their entire workforce home indefinitely. Immediately closing a store without leaving someone to handle outstanding orders or update customers seems to me, with my very limited knowledge, like an entirely commercial decision. Next time I buy golf clubs maybe I'll get a free fitting at AG then make a cynical commercial decision and order them from Scottsdale Golf, where I get a discount through my employer's benefit scheme.

Ping have been willing to communicate limited information to me where AG haven't, but even though most of the delay is their fault, it's AG that took my money and gave me a delivery date. AG is Ping's customer and I'm theirs. AG should be chasing Ping but they're all at home. And it turns out that most of the set (minus 2 clubs) was delivered to AG a couple of weeks before lockdown.

By way of comparison, the lockdown lead time for a factory order of a new VW car is currently 3-4 months - about the same as I will have waited for my eight golf sticks. Maybe AG will throw in a set of velour mats as a goodwill gesture, assuming they ever reopen the store.

Glad you at least realised why I replied as I did :) Good luck getting the mats from AG ;)

whereabouts do you play on the Herts/Essex border? Nazeing? Bishops Stortford?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I got fitted for TM P790's and they took 8 weeks to arrive, I did buy mine from my pro and communication was excellent. I think that is the grounds and basis for your complaint, I'd contact AG expressing this and hopefully they will rectify it.

Or get a refund, wait and get newer shiny irons from a pro and not from AG.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd cancel. Probably not AG's fault, although I would never have bought them there in the first place, but them's the breaks. Order some 425s in the same specs when things start to open out a bit.

^ This....particularly as the reviews I’ve seen say there is a big difference between 410 and 425.
Coupled with what someone else said, when the store does open the 410’s will probably be less than you paid ?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
^ This....particularly as the reviews I’ve seen say there is a big difference between 410 and 425.
Coupled with what someone else said, when the store does open the 410’s will probably be less than you paid ?
As with most of the "big chains" they will have bought a job lot of an item at a lower price and then sell them for a better profit when no-one else can or does have them.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
My lad works at our local AG, they are suffering from this for a while now. When they order clubs from the manufacturers, they are given a lead time by the manufacturer, which is communicated to the customer, however, in many circumstances, due to the pandemic and supply of parts from overseas, these lead times are not being met by the manufacturers. This is not the fault of the local stores, however, the communication of your order status is. I know that our local store is working to provide better communication to customers on orders, with regular follow ups on orders, because he was discussing exactly that with me just before the last lockdown. Unfortunately they can't do much about that either at the moment. During the last lockdown, they kept the manager in store available to provide updates and click/ collect , but this time round they are all on furlough. The boy has been furloughed twice since September, I don't know how many staff are working in the head office to answer customer queries or check order status. Even if it has since arrived, not sure what they can do, the stores aren't open to send it to, nor is there anyone in store to receive it, notify you, and be there for you to collect. I know it's frustrating, having paid up front for your order, but we are in exceptional circumstances, hopefully it arrives during the lockdown, and will be available for you when we finally emerge from it.

No matter how many on here dislike AG, pretty sure this is not unique to AG at the moment, if the manufacturers are having problems getting parts for custom fits, it will affect many if not all retailers. The retailers will only be able to supply quickly if it's off the shelf and in stock. Unfortunately, we are all sitting on our hands waiting for courses and stores to reopen. I've been waiting myself for the last six weeks as have been planning to have a fitting for new irons in our new store. The MK store has just moved along the road and been set up like the New Malden flagship store. It looks fantastic, a world away from the old warehouse, it was due to open 3 weeks ago and I know that even when it does open, it is likely to take a while before any custom order I place gets through the backlog of current orders.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My lad works at our local AG, they are suffering from this for a while now. When they order clubs from the manufacturers, they are given a lead time by the manufacturer, which is communicated to the customer, however, in many circumstances, due to the pandemic and supply of parts from overseas, these lead times are not being met by the manufacturers. This is not the fault of the local stores, however, the communication of your order status is. I know that our local store is working to provide better communication to customers on orders, with regular follow ups on orders, because he was discussing exactly that with me just before the last lockdown. Unfortunately they can't do much about that either at the moment. During the last lockdown, they kept the manager in store available to provide updates and click/ collect , but this time round they are all on furlough. The boy has been furloughed twice since September, I don't know how many staff are working in the head office to answer customer queries or check order status. Even if it has since arrived, not sure what they can do, the stores aren't open to send it to, nor is there anyone in store to receive it, notify you, and be there for you to collect. I know it's frustrating, having paid up front for your order, but we are in exceptional circumstances, hopefully it arrives during the lockdown, and will be available for you when we finally emerge from it.

No matter how many on here dislike AG, pretty sure this is not unique to AG at the moment, if the manufacturers are having problems getting parts for custom fits, it will affect many if not all retailers. The retailers will only be able to supply quickly if it's off the shelf and in stock. Unfortunately, we are all sitting on our hands waiting for courses and stores to reopen. I've been waiting myself for the last six weeks as have been planning to have a fitting for new irons in our new store. The MK store has just moved along the road and been set up like the New Malden flagship store. It looks fantastic, a world away from the old warehouse, it was due to open 3 weeks ago and I know that even when it does open, it is likely to take a while before any custom order I place gets through the backlog of current orders.
Where's it moved to Wedge..?