Unpopular golfing opinions

evemccc

Visit site
Golf, like Snooker, (both of which I love) are perhaps better described as games, pastimes or hobbies, rather than ‘sports’

evemccc

Visit site
Slightly related to the 'other' thread that's dominated today, my unpopular golfing opinion is:

I don't think microphones should be so close to hear the conversations of pro golfers

(I've thought this for a long time, not since the JT incident). I just really don't care about golfers personalities and I don't want to hear them - I watch sport to watch the best players in the world in their chosen sport, play that sport. Not to have a soap opera about their every move, comment or action. I think one of the worst things about the commericialsation of sport has been the trivialisation of it. Beckham was a genius with his right foot and it was his job to be....I want him to be famous and lauded for that, not his high-pitched voice or wearing a sarong or his pop-star wife

Fully expecting this to be an unpopular opinion. Lot of companies and sports media such as ESPN, Sky, and inc the guys at No Laying Up are desperate to make money out of turning elite pro sport into a more like a soap-opera circus with increasing the on-course microphones and hyping the Brooks vs Bryson rivalry

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Disagree about Faldo from the time I met him and spent 4 hours in his company (playing with Lyle). Very good company and good fun

To elaborate, the disagreement was due to Faldo running late for something or other and asking the chauffeur (my dads pal) to put his foot down and speed, which the chauffeur "politely" refused to do. Faldo told him that he'd pay for any speeding tickets and not to worry, before taking umbrage when chauffeur still refused to do so and requesting a change.

I've no doubt its one of those that there'll be three sides to every story but the opinion that Faldo is arrogant isn't a unique one.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Slightly related to the 'other' thread that's dominated today, my unpopular golfing opinion is:

I don't think microphones should be so close to hear the conversations of pro golfers

(I've thought this for a long time, not since the JT incident). I just really don't care about golfers personalities and I don't want to hear them - I watch sport to watch the best players in the world in their chosen sport, play that sport. Not to have a soap opera about their every move, comment or action. I think one of the worst things about the commericialsation of sport has been the trivialisation of it. Beckham was a genius with his right foot and it was his job to be....I want him to be famous and lauded for that, not his high-pitched voice or wearing a sarong or his pop-star wife

Fully expecting this to be an unpopular opinion. Lot of companies and sports media such as ESPN, Sky, and inc the guys at No Laying Up are desperate to make money out of turning elite pro sport into a more like a soap-opera circus with increasing the on-course microphones and hyping the Brooks vs Bryson rivalry
Disagree, I enjoy hearing the discussions between player and caddy. Adds something to the coverage imo

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Disagree, I enjoy hearing the discussions between player and caddy. Adds something to the coverage imo

+1

Its much the same in rugby with the refs being mic'd up. Yes, sometimes you catch the occasional cursing and yes, there have been sanctions as a result of things caught by the mic but its a highly charged environment and the players are human.

But overall it adds so much to the coverage, especially in a technical sport like rugby and golf where you hear the ref/players discussing and explaining why they've done what they did.

People will get caught out saying things they shouldn't and rightly punished for doing so, but to my mind thats what needed to drive out that sort of language, it absolutely shouldn't be brushed off as a flippant comment and normalised.