Unpopular golfing opinions

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Unless you're using a launch monitor, all you are doing, when hitting balls into a net, is keeping your body loose and potentially ingraining swing faults

Zig

Visit site
If you are playing football and it's a bit hot, you're not able to sit in a buggy and whizz down the wing.

Walking is an integral part of golf. If you think it's too hot to walk, it's too hot to play golf.

I was lucky to be able to play in Scottsdale on a holiday to the states. Middle of August... absolutely melting - refreshment trolley brought you wet towels every six holes (as well as selling you very expensive beers/drinks). Cart was mandatory. I hated the cart bit though; it took longer driving in and out, and up the paths at the sides of the fairway. Would have preferred to walk (as some places like Troon North allowed etc). Was VERY hot, but I've never found it too hot for golf!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Unless you're using a launch monitor, all you are doing, when hitting balls into a net, is keeping your body loose and potentially ingraining swing faults

Given how hard it is to change a golf swing, any faults you are in graining have probably been there for ages anyway. It's your swing, however individual, it won't just suddenly morph into something else from hitting balls into a net.

To me, it's far more damaging to play solo golf. It makes me lift out early, to see where the ball went. That can be habit forming, and ruins what passes for a golf swing. I can tell I am doing it, because my follow through is all wrong.

Mandofred

Visit site
I was lucky to be able to play in Scottsdale on a holiday to the states. Middle of August... absolutely melting - refreshment trolley brought you wet towels every six holes (as well as selling you very expensive beers/drinks). Cart was mandatory. I hated the cart bit though; it took longer driving in and out, and up the paths at the sides of the fairway. Would have preferred to walk (as some places like Troon North allowed etc). Was VERY hot, but I've never found it too hot for golf!
A guy I worked with used to go down to Arizona for the summer. He said he would go out in the afternoon when everybody was off the golf course. It wouldn't cost much to play or rent a cart and he could get 36 holes in really quick.....he just drank lots of water.

sunshine

Visit site
Buggies are a pain and given a choice I don’t use them.
But most courses in the USA it’s mandatory ,you could not walk some of them.

Mandatory buggies is crazy - just greedy revenue focused businesses promoting laziness.

Some courses are designed for buggies only with long gaps between holes. This has only happened because everybody locally is using a buggy already so it's part of the culture of laziness. Generally, building a course which can only be played by buggy is poor design to me. Courses should always be walkable. Admittedly, this would mean losing a couple of amazing courses like Kapalua, but that's a tiny tiny %.

sunshine

Visit site
This thread has certainly shown some really outdated views, with many people's attitudes just catching up to the 80's.

Well played (y)

I actually believe (and stated) that single person buggies should be permitted with a valid medical reason. But at the end of the day, golf is a sport and requires a moderate level of physical exertion, including walking.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well played (y)

I actually believe (and stated) that single person buggies should be permitted with a valid medical reason. But at the end of the day, golf is a sport and requires a moderate level of physical exertion, including walking.
While I agree in competition golf.
For casual play why stop someone playing who can’t walk the course.
I don’t see it as a problem.
We have a 92 yr old still off 12 cap but can’t play without a buggy, his golf is better than most but would have to stop playing that’s wrong imo.

D

Deleted member 18588

Well played (y)

I have played for 50 years and have never considered club golf to be a sport.

It is a game, a pastime; but not a sport and, thus, if someone chooses to use a buggy so be it.

Doesn't matter if it's a friendly knock or the monthly medal.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm rather pleased that we're not golfing at the moment. The course was being very heavily played and even a well-draining heathland course such as ours was starting to show some significant signs of surface damage - mostly trolley damage in truth - with some damage in areas you just wouldn't really want it as it could impact summer play.

We were being asked to carry if at all possible but though many were (I was using my little pencil-bag and taking out only a half set) the majority were not. I guess that's what happens when so many members have only one bag and it's a trolley bags that could accommodate a good sized junior member.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I believe that over the golfball you should stay balanced, steady and centered (stacked)

I believe that you should play golf NOT stood up straight (tilted)

VERY unpopular opinions o_O

He's back Lazarus like. How have you been????

I actually think S&T has a lot of merits but changing from a "conventional" swing with limited S&T tutors was always going to be a long and tricky path. As I think you know I dabbled after you kindly gave me that detailed demonstration and for a while the irons in particular were excellent. As with many though I struggled with hybrid up to driver. As you also I had a long flirtation with linear short game which advocated a lot of elements of S&T in it (perhaps why I found it sat well in my golfing brain)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
^
^
^
Hi guys, yeah all good and well living up here in Snowdonia. I've been on the forum a few times back and forth but life has been, well, different for the past few years
New partner, new job, new house, ....new life I guess, and seeing as I'm 300 miles from anyone I formerly knew it's been a bit lonely I suppose.

Still, that said I still like a few of you :LOL: so I guess I need to put in a bit more effort..... even thinking of joining a club when lockdown is over... if I don't catch it and die of course.
Nice to see all the familiar names and sincerely hope we haven't had any forum covid casualties (y) Stay safe guys

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I believe that over the golfball you should stay balanced, steady and centered (stacked)

I believe that you should play golf NOT stood up straight (tilted)

VERY unpopular opinions o_O

James

When I first joined the forum many years ago, one of the first things I did was pour scorn on you and the other Stack and Tilt merchants. I have mellowed a bit since then.