Unpopular golfing opinions

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But it's fun recalling some of the golf opinions that have been posted on here that have been just a bit contentious :)
That's a different thread though.

Remember what the teachers told you at school before an exam, turn the page over, read the question. Read it again and then one more time. Only when you understand the question should you start to reply. The same applies.

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
I know there is another thread on the specifics of the PGA + Trump but I thought I would generalize my overall thoughts here on sports and try as best to keep it non-political and non-specific.

My unpopular opinion is that we hobbyists may or may not play golf to escape the world for a few hours. But professional sports and its players/bodies (not just golf) are a global business and brand with huge institutional reach and impact and influence, and that they neither can nor should try to isolate themselves from the world around them. If they have something important to say, they should say it / do it.

Mandofred

Visit site
Walking is an integral part of golf. All buggies should be removed from golf courses.

The only exception to this is that people with approved medical conditions should be allowed to use a single person buggy for casual golf.
That works for the UK, what if you live in Arizona? 5,000 degrees, big gaps between holes.....I could see something like this at the half-way house...
michael-howell-skeletons-in-chairs-in-desert-death-valley-ca.jpeg

sunshine

Visit site
That works for the UK, what if you live in Arizona? 5,000 degrees, big gaps between holes.....I could see something like this at the half-way house...
michael-howell-skeletons-in-chairs-in-desert-death-valley-ca.jpeg

If you are playing football and it's a bit hot, you're not able to sit in a buggy and whizz down the wing.

Walking is an integral part of golf. If you think it's too hot to walk, it's too hot to play golf.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Distance measuring devices should not be allowed in closed/internal Club competitions.

(not sure if I still actually hold that opinion - though I certainly used to)

Mandofred

Visit site
If you are playing football and it's a bit hot, you're not able to sit in a buggy and whizz down the wing.

Walking is an integral part of golf. If you think it's too hot to walk, it's too hot to play golf.
I agree with the walking part.....I'll do it until I can't (or quit...still wondering). So.....you think a person who is 80 and has golfed all their life but just can't walk the course anymore should be banned from playing? I CAN'T STAND to take a cart....but that's me. I don't condemn somebody for needing a cart, keep up.....no argument from me. Condemning them because they don't meet your standards? .....oh yeah....unpopular golf opinions.

Not a lot of 60+ folks playing football....."whizzing" down the wing though.......

sunshine

Visit site
I agree with the walking part.....I'll do it until I can't (or quit...still wondering). So.....you think a person who is 80 and has golfed all their life but just can't walk the course anymore should be banned from playing? I CAN'T STAND to take a cart....but that's me. I don't condemn somebody for needing a cart, keep up.....no argument from me. Condemning them because they don't meet your standards? .....oh yeah....unpopular golf opinions.

Not a lot of 60+ folks playing football....."whizzing" down the wing though.......

Too old to walk = too old to play.

I don't expect it to be a popular opinion ;)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Too old to walk = too old to play.

I don't expect it to be a popular opinion ;)
Being able to walk a course has nothing to do with age.
That’s why golf club car parks have disabled spaces.
Buggies are a pain and given a choice I don’t use them.
But most courses in the USA it’s mandatory ,you could not walk some of them.