University!

mattyb0y

Head Pro
Visit site
I have got my results through today for my 2nd year of my 3 year course! I have passed with a 2:1 Equivlent in Business Marketing and Finance!

One more year to go and with a little more effort i may get it up to a 1st class degree in my final year? Graduating as a

Bachelor of Arts in Business Studies with 1st Class Degree Honours

However my point is i am looking for companies to contact regarding graduate placement this time next year (if i can get word out early the better) Yet intrest seems minimal to say the least?

My point is that has anybody got degrees and did they find it difficult to gain employment to a good level once they finished university?

Cos i certainly am! :(

Professor

Hacker
Visit site
The market for graduates is not good at present but some organisations are still recruiting and have graduate placements. You don't have to go straight from Uni to a placement either. My son worked in a shop (big chain) for a year before joining his current employer. Your challenge will be that there will be a lot of graduates chasing a small number of placements and what is it about your CV that makes you stand out. If there is nothing then do something about it (a good golf handicap doesn't count)! I am not sure what would help but voluntary work, work experience, summer jobs etc will all help. The market will get better in time and as a country we have an ageing work force so recruitment of you younger models cannot be deferred indefinetly.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
I'm not suggesting that you fall into this category for one moment.

I used to do a fair bit of recruiting in various jobs I've had. I'll list (it will be easier than writing prose), what the main problems are with graduates looking for jobs.

1. Expecting to be given a job, sorry, career, just because they have a 'ticket'.

2. Expecting to be paid a lot of money. Unrealistic understanding of the industry they're applying to, current market forces and what people get paid in general.

3. Thinking they knew it all because they had a ticket. But very few had done a full days work in their lives in a commercial environment.

4. Appauling CV's. I don't know what they teach students about applying for jobs. But getting CV's on torn off pages from a jotting note book doesn't cut it. Yes I have had them!

5. As the employer I am generally older than the graduates. Therefore I don't understand 'your' language. Use English please, not 'text' speak or some bastardised version of English mixed with 'gangsta'.

6. Always ask your parents or someone older to read through your CV. It links in with point 5.

7. I'm sure that you all use a spell checker, but make sure that you use the correct word. eg. Hear and here, your and you're, weather and whether, there, they're and their. You get the point.

Sorry. I feel like I'm lecturing, and I'm not intending to.

As I said I'm sure that you're a very capable individual. Finding work out there is very tough at the moment, as I only know to well! Stick with it. Find you own USP (unique selling point) and 'market' yourself.

Meanwhile. Go and enjoy the golf. You've got plenty of time to be miserable at work!! :D

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Heard on the telly the other day that Graduates should be thinking "outside the box" (God I hate that expression!) and looking at Companies like Aldi, Halfords, Staples etc. Companies that are well established but still growing rather than the big chains and Companies.

Bloody glad I'm not just out of school or Uni and looking.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would endorse all that hapless has said, but would emphasise his points 4 and 5.

You should have been taught all this at some point in your education but since it has singularly failed to deliver English to a generation, I'll risk stating the obvious.

It is not just your potential employer that you need to consider but who his customers are. You will almost certainly be dealing with them as his representative. How you appear to him, and his initial view will be your CV, will count heavily. (Attach a photo to your CV, but not the one taken on Ibiza!)

If you can't spell make sure that you use a spell checker - and make sure it's set for UK English. If possible, also use a grammar checker, neither are much better than 80% so get it proof read. Equally as important, learn how to lay out a document.

dangermouse

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Heard on the telly the other day that Graduates should be thinking "outside the box" (God I hate that expression!) and looking at Companies like Aldi, Halfords, Staples etc. Companies that are well established but still growing rather than the big chains and Companies.

Bloody glad I'm not just out of school or Uni and looking.

when I graduated 5 years ago, Aldi were offering the best job on the market. If you could speak A-level German, and had a degree similar to the one matt is doing, starting salary was £35k, plus car, bonuses and holidays, on their management scheme. Fantastic opportunity, and the main reason I would say to all 15 year olds - make sure you keep up either French, German or Spanish, as roles for bi-lingual graduates are not competitive, but very well paid.

Matt - depending on what you want to do, i would suggest getting some work experience under your belt. I recruit graduates for a large accounting firm, and most applicants have 3/4 As at A level, and a good degree in something like business studies from a top 20 university. In addition, most have the unrealistic expectations referred to above by hapless. Of the 5 I've taken on in the last 18 months, all but one had some good customer-facing work experience and therefore reacted better to guidance and instructions, and were more adaptable to the people around them - essential in any job. Anything from bar work to call centre work can help develop the softer skills that employers look for to differentiate between the good CVs.

Well done on the results so far though mate - keep up the good work!

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just following on from HH's valuable comments, when you get that interview, make absolutely sure that you present yourself correctly for the occasion.

For instance in the golfing world, most golf clubs have certain standards for dress code and expect players to comply - e.g. no denim, shirts tucked into trousers, etc. Similarly, dependent on the job that you are applying for, anything from smart casual to fully suited and booted can be order of the day.

What I'm trying to say is that you must think about all aspects of self presentation - from qualifications, experience, CV, appearance, etc.

Good luck.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
To follow on from Leftie.

If you are over-dressed, you can always remove your tie, take off your jacket etc. If you are under-dressed, you can never 'up-grade' on the spot. Even if you have a tie in your pocket, it's too late. First impressions count.

After all, you are trying to impress the interviewer, not the other candidates who you might meet.

Oh. And learn how to tie a decent tie knot, and don't use a 'cheap' suit. Or you'll end up looking like some reprebate turning up for his first court appearance!

With regards to suits, don't go for overly fashionable. Classic 3 or 2 button single breasted is good. Crumple look, shiny, or 'different' colours generally don't down well. unless of course you're applying to the fashion industry.

This kinda leads into the 'You know when you're getting old thread'.

Apologies if we're (I'm) coming across all 'lecturey'. just trying to give you a hand up so to speak.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
Sneds.

God, you were quick with that reply.

I'm only trying to pass on a little wisdom. I've dropped some real clangers in my time, and for whatever reason I think any youngster that a) has the discipline to play a game like golf, and b) has the 'guts' to ask a bunch of generally older forumers in a public place such as this, these types of questions. Deserves a little help. He can always take it or leave it. :cool:

Sneds

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yeah, I'm pretty bored at the moment. I'm posting on a lot of threads I would barely look at normally.

You remind me of somebody I know, always trying to give advice and pass on wisdom.

Very generous of you I say x

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
My point is that has anybody got degrees and did they find it difficult to gain employment to a good level once they finished university?

Yep I've got a degree, and yep, I've got a good job. Except I started at the crappy end and spent 35 years getting here :)

Point is: work out what it is you want to do, then get your foot in the door by what ever means you have to - even if that means you don't immediately walk into the best jobs. Work hard and the rest comes - how quickly is up to you.

But of course, that's easy to say for us older blighters on here who never had a student loan hanging round our neck like a millstone and needing good dosh to pay it back

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
Yeah, I'm pretty bored at the moment. I'm posting on a lot of threads I would barely look at normally.

You remind me of somebody I know, always trying to give advice and pass on wisdom.

Very generous of you I say x

Oh dear. I don't like the sound of that! The 'you remind me of someone' line is never a compliment!

I'll shut it for now. ;)

Sneds

Tour Rookie
Visit site
But of course, that's easy to say for us older blighters on here who never had a student loan hanging round our neck like a millstone and needing good dosh to pay it back

I disagree, I don't think student loan is a millstone in the slightest. It's paid back in a % of whatever we earn, so it's almost like a progressive tax, in that we pay more - the more we earn. It's possibly the most reasonable and best way (for students) to pay back the debt.

Thinking about it, you may be talking about the actual fee's that go with university now, which are obviously higher that before - but I still think that they payback method eats into the debt with the individual barely noticing it. (taken at source)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

I disagree, I don't think student loan is a millstone in the slightest. It's paid back in a % of whatever we earn, so it's almost like a progressive tax, in that we pay more - the more we earn. It's possibly the most reasonable and best way (for students) to pay back the debt.

Thinking about it, you may be talking about the actual fee's that go with university now, which are obviously higher that before - but I still think that they payback method eats into the debt with the individual barely noticing it. (taken at source)

Fair do's if you think that way. I just meant that in my day, we never had to pay back anything and came away from uni with a clean slate.