TV Series - What Are You Watching?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just stumbled on an old classic tv series I really enjoyed way back in the 70s ." Rich Man Poor Man " staring Nick Nolte, Peter Strauss and Ed Asner. Following 2 brothers lives from just after WW2, a slow to start but well worth watching, but before political correctness was invented.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm 2 episodes into The Serpent and so far very good. Not sure how well it will stretch to 8 episodes but hopefully it will keep the standard up.

I'm not sure I've seen more cigarettes smoked in 2 hours in this than any other show, I'm including The Sweeney in this ?. What happens if you don't smoke? Would you not get the part?

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
started the new Lupin last night - 7 episodes. Not sure if i get to finish tonight after our tart (affectionate scouse term - invented by Big Stu - for my beloved - not meant to offend anyone!) goes to bed.

Really enjoying it - Paris-based revenge story against rish family than wronged father

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm 2 episodes into The Serpent and so far very good. Not sure how well it will stretch to 8 episodes but hopefully it will keep the standard up.

I'm not sure I've seen more cigarettes smoked in 2 hours in this than any other show, I'm including The Sweeney in this ?. What happens if you don't smoke? Would you not get the part?

It's not bad, a few too many time shifts at the minute but very watchable.

U

User62651

quirky little mini series on iplayer called Staged.

Follows Michael Sheen and David Tennant in lockdown trying to remotely arrange and rehearse a new play.

Wont be up everyone's street but it captures lockdown tedium rather well. Subtlely funny self-deprecating stuff.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Decided to veer away from Scandi noir for a moment, and head east. Started two interesting series on Netflix, Signal, a Korean detective drama about two detectives trying to solve a case 20 years apart, communicating by an old walkie talkie. Interesting premise, and decent start, an unusually frequent use of the word gosh, perhaps a mistranslation. Odd subtitles too, they keep switching between the top of the screen and the bottom, a bit disconcerting as the Koreans speak very quickly and it's a challenging keep up with the movement.

Shinya Shokudo (Midnight Diner), a Japanese drama about a small restaurant that only opens from midnight to 7am, and the clientele that frequent it. Based on an anime, and set in Shinjuku, Tokyo, which is an area that I used to live very close to, and hung out in, it's a slow burn but having ties, I really enjoyed the first episode.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It's only a 3-parter docu series - but we've very much enjoyed the first two parts of Miriam Margolyes: Almost Australian, not seen much of MM in the past but for a 79yr old she is a hoot and we very much get her take on the Aussies and the First Peoples (Aboriginal) community :)

Last part of MM this evening then back to Bridgerton (which my Mrs is loving and I admit to I find myself enjoying also).

sunshine

Visit site
Finished White Gold tonight. Wasn't sure I'd stick with it after the first episode, but actually grew to like it, now hoping for a third season. I think the killer 80's soundtrack had a lot to do with it, but it's a decent comedy set in another world.

I enjoyed it as well.

It fell victim to #metoo after Ed Westwick was accused of sexual assault. It won't be coming back.

sunshine

Visit site
I finished Tin Star Liverpool last night. Was a bit of an effort to get through the final series but I stuck with it. What a waste of time, the ending was rubbish. After a strong opening episode the whole third series descended into a farce. Tim Roth was playing a parody of the character he had played so well in the first two series.

I guess it's the law of diminishing returns. I'd recommend series one - it was excellent - but then series two was average. Series three had promise, the lure of tying up all the loose ends from prior series was tempting, but it failed big time.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
quirky little mini series on iplayer called Staged.

Follows Michael Sheen and David Tennant in lockdown trying to remotely arrange and rehearse a new play.

Wont be up everyone's street but it captures lockdown tedium rather well. Subtlely funny self-deprecating stuff.
Thanks for reminding me of that - saw it some time ago and have meant to watch it - but it dropped off my radar.

My wife notes down series she fancies watching in a diary as she doesn't want to forget about them. I am not so organised.

Finished MM 3-parter Almost Australian last might. An interesting and amusing watch. More about Aussies than Australia - which was the point of it.