TV license

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When did they change to goal posts ?

Live TV means any programme you watch or record as it’s being shown on any channel, TV service or streaming service. It’s not just live events like football, cricket, news and music. It also covers soaps, series, documentaries and even movies.

An online TV service is any streaming or smart TV service, website or app that lets you watch TV programmes over the internet. This includes services like All 4, Sky Go, Now TV, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube and ITVX.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Are you saying that if you stream say for example Coronation Street at 11:00pm you need a TV license?

I thought that was the advantage of subscribing to a streaming service. that nothing was 'live', maybe that is the change you are referring to.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was mentioned in a radio show earlier so thought I'd look it up.

reads as though if you watch anything anytime on a TV you need.to stump up.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
That's not the way I have ever read it although we do have a license.

It also states equipment capable of receiving said tv, I have business premises with pc installed and internet connection, so it is are capable of receiving streamed tv, I do and will not pay for a license for them as it is business premises and I do not watch tv.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you watch something live you need a TV license. If you watched anything streamed via BBC iPlayer you need a TV license.

All other streaming services you don't need a license, provided you are not streaming them 'live' i.e. at the same time as they're actually on TV. Stream them after the event and you're good. I don't think any of this has changed.

Since I resent paying it I've done a lot of research, there's a whole website full of people saying they stopped paying and all that happens is they get an endless stream of letters through the post. Nobody comes to visit. So tempting not to bother but my wife vetoed stopping it. :LOL:

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you watch something live you need a TV license. If you watched anything streamed via BBC iPlayer you need a TV license.

All other streaming services you don't need a license, provided you are not streaming them 'live' i.e. at the same time as they're actually on TV. Stream them after the event and you're good. I don't think any of this has changed.

Since I resent paying it I've done a lot of research, there's a whole website full of people saying they stopped paying and all that happens is they get an endless stream of letters through the post. Nobody comes to visit. So tempting not to bother but my wife vetoed stopping it. :LOL:

That's exactly the same position I'm in.

She catches up on eastenders every now and then and there are other means to watch it

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Lots of folk in Scotland are doing this, I don't blame them.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Dumb question alert… if I stream BBC Iplayer to a laptop, why would I need a tv licence? I’m not watching it on a tv…

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
As per Orikoru...

You need a licence to watch, or record, live stuff as it happens (eg football) regardless of how you watch or what service you use.
You need a licence to watch, or record, stuff as it's being broadcast (eg an episode of Corrie at the time it first goes out) regardless of how you watch,or what service you use.
You need a licence to watch anything on BBC iPlayer

You don't need a licence to watch anything on catchup services so as long as its not BBC iplayer
You don't need a licence to watch content solely broadcast on subscription streaming services (ie which don't meet the 3 criteria above)

Not sure about Britbox which shows both BBC and ITV programmes but as it is a subscription service, I suspect you're OK.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So many obviously never listen to the radio or use the BBC website then.
Perhaps they should at the costs to general taxation.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That would make the BBC a political football, as it would require a government grant to fund it.
You mean it's not a political football now?
I just don't understand the thinking of the anti BBC license. It's not just BBC tv that it funds, but national and local radio, their web activitys, their childrens tv that makes millions for them and is lauded as being informative and educational plus more.
But then, perhaps I just have a more balanced view on it.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Yes, perhaps I should have written: even more of a political football than it is now.
Anyway, I sure as hell don't want it to become directly government funded or commercially owned by wealthy shareholders.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

I stopped paying six months ago. We've still got a virgin box but I only use it to record and listen to some radio stuff I like. We stream all TV. And watch it on catch up. Wasn't board church good? We are still working through that. Plus a few others. There is no need for live TV at all. And, no, I don't watch sport either. The world cup was watched in the pub, where it should be watched. Lol

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
As for the gl thing. How can the government say it had nothing to do with them? It is them who make the rules on us needing a licence!!!!