Trolley at my age??

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
An interesting comment from one of the green keepers at my place a while ago regarding how we damage our own course, then complain about the condition of it. He listed the following as the 5 main problems caused by the golfers themself:

Home made paths created by people taking short cuts while carrying.
People with trolleys not sticking to paths and trying to traverse on slopes and going to close to putting surfaces.
People not replacing divots.
The 3 above means either having to reseed or replace areas of grass around the course.

People not replacing pitch marks. Means a green keeper going round and trying to repair them to stop bare patches developing on the green

People not raking bunkers correctly. ie: not raking them flat, but pulling all the sand to the edges so that means one of the greenkeepers then have to go round moving all the sand back to the middle.

All of the above either costs money in man hours or in materials. That money could be used to do things to make the course look nicer, or give the green staff time to go and tidy up that area in the trees, that is a bit of an eyesore.

What I am trying to say is there are a lot of ways we damage our own courses, so everyone can fall into one of those categories potentially. I like to think I do my best not to fall into any of them and no one does on purpose.:thup:

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
With regard to trolleys damaging the grass, all the Greenkeepers have to do is continually re-route the paths to avoid overusing one patch - a bit like moving tee markers.....
If they don't move the paths, in this weather it's going to become mud whether you're trolleying or carrying.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I've got 2 if you're serious?

They won't be going in the f/s section as it's getting to be more hassle than ebay. :(

I am serious dependant on costs Gary ;)

I used my trolley today off the back of this topic and I have to say I enjoyed my golf a lot more and came off quite refreshed still. I was far from that at Formby & Hoylake!

The only thing currently which is annoying the hell out of me is, my shafts getting all tangled in my Ping 4plus stand bag which I put on my trolley so a 14 divider is the answer along with using my trolley a bit more :)

PM me details of what you've got and prices (be nice ;) )

cm_qs

Head Pro
Visit site
The logic for me is simple.... Use a trolley.

You might cause damage to the course.... You pay green fees for maintenance of the course
You might cause damage to the trolley..... You can go out and buy a new one

Never seen a shop that sells new knees or spines. If I'm going to damage something I want it to be something that can be repaired with cash - not surgery.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
don't think age has anything to do with having an electric /push trolley anymore,ALL our juniors have them and it seems there is one upmanship to have as many things hanging from them as possible,some of the really young lads/girls have bags bigger than them,we do have a few pushy parents thou.

Shiny

Head Pro
Visit site
I am 42 and use a trolley. Why do I use a trolley, because I personally find it easier. I don't give a flying chuff what other people think about it. I don't care if I look uncool with a trolley I play this game my way.

If I play a course with a trolley ban I carry, no problems there but I prefer my electric trolley if I have the choice.