TM Rescue clubs - help needed.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If you are not into hybrids, then please don't bother reading further, as I'm mainly interested in views of guys who have made the following decision, rather than a debate on whether it is proper golf to use hybrids or irons (that has been done many times before).

I am looking at changing my set up a tad. I currently have the following set up:

TEE XCG3 4 w, 16.5° at 42.5", Motore stiff 69g
TEE XCG3 4 h, 21° at 40", Motore stiff 75g
Nike Combo 4i, 24° at 40".

I am thinking of dumping the 4h, and the 4i, and going to two rescues. I find the shaft in the 4h a tad stiff (way more shaft than the 4w), and I'm inconsistent at best with the 4i (most of the time my 5i goes further off the deck, but the 4i better off a tee peg). I'm thinking of changing, partly as I think a slightly higher lofted fairway would give me more distance out of the rough, where I spend most of my time. I am thinking something along the lines of a 24° and a 19° hybrid would gap me ok.

I am looking at TM, partly as I haven't had any of their stuff for a while, partly because the white is growing on me, partly because I haven't seen much else I like the look of. Adams look ok, but don't understand their line up (or like the ones with the slot on top), Titleist don't look right, don't do Ping (don't go there), TEE are hideous money (and there is no where I can try out), Cleveland are stupidly light with long shafts, etc.

So TM then.

Why do they make so many variations?

I have a choice of R11 or RBZ, in tour or standard. For the R11 the head and lofts are the same, but the tour gets a heavier shaft, which I quite like. The R11 has an adjustable head, which I may never use.

R11 lofts are 16°(41"), 18°(40.5"), 21°(40"), 23.5°(39.5"), with either an RIP65HB shaft or an RIP85HB shaft in the tour version.

I don't think I would like the standard version, as the 65g shaft could be a bit light for me. I had a 60g RIP in my driver, and was a bit clueless with it. Not sure I'm going to like the RIP at all any way.

Or, I can go RBZ, but here it gets more complicated. There are two heads, the standard and the tour. The tour head is slightly smaller, and sits slightly open, which may suit my hook. The RBZ also has a longer shaft, which I am not so keen on.

Standard lofts are 19°(41"), 22°(40.5"), 25°(40"), 28°(39.5"), with an own branded RBZ graphite 65g shaft.

Tour lofts are 16.5°(41.5"), 18.5°(41"), 21.4°(40.5"), with either a Fujikura RE-AX 85HB or a Matrix Altus 85.

Apparently the RBZ will hit longer due to the slot in the bottom (and also the longer shaft?), on the other hand the R11 is apparently less forgiving, not as long, but is adjustable (benefit?). One review I read had the RBZ tour hitting longer than the standard RBZ.

I know I need to try them out, but need a starting point, as some golf shops will get the hump if I want 5 clubs all taped up at once (if I can find somewhere where they are all in stock - Silvermere is my best option I guess). My dilema is partly due to the different head designs, and the loft selection. I could go 19, 25 in the standard RBZ, or 18, 23.5 in the R11 standard or tour. The annoying bit is I can't do what I want in the RBZ tour, as I could go 18.5, but there is no corresponding 24/25, I would have to have the higher loft in the R11 or standard RBZ, and have a pair of non matching shafts.

Any views on TM hybrids, and for any one out there who has tried a TM hybrid, and why did you go with the choice you made?
Not really interested in older TM models (however good they were!).

A

Alex1975

I cant comments on the TM range but I have always used a 19 & 22 but have changed this to your proposed gaping of 19 & 24 and it is prefect for me. I wont give distances as they change alot in the conditions and lies but the gaping is right.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've only ever had one TM hybrid, the original Burner Superfast.

I thought the head sat very closed at address and screamed hook to me. The stock shaft TM re-Ax wasn't brilliant either.

I can't say I've tried the new models though Murph' so couldn't comment.

Craw has a TM hybrid, a tipex one I think, and seems to rate that pretty highly.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Murph i know your kinda set on TM but have a look at the new Wilsostaff hybrids.
They from what i gather have exact spacing between shafts and lofts to simplify choice. And i think they come with Perforce V2 shafts.
Not adjustable i know but it maybe an option. Their kind of a sleeper. They've got great reviews too....

FWIW.... Im thinking of either going TM or Wilson for hybrids

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Murph i know your kinda set on TM but have a look at the new Wilsostaff hybrids.
They from what i gather have exact spacing between shafts and lofts to simplify choice. And i think they come with Perforce V2 shafts.
Not adjustable i know but it maybe an option. Their kind of a sleeper. They've got great reviews too....

FWIW.... Im thinking of either going TM or Wilson for hybrids

Never really seen the attraction of Wilson as a brand, and then made worse by the addition of Profoce V2 shafts, which I have never got on with, ever, in any club.

Not keen on Cobra either, before some one suggests the amp range.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have the R11 No3 one. Not the easiest club to hit. But when you get it right. For me it goes on a mid flight. But I do tend to hit my shots on the low side. Have to admit I would not buy it again and I love TM. Really thinking of replacing with the RBZ the standard though. As its miles better, seems to go where ever you hit it on the face. I have compared the two on the range and the RBZ goes around 10 yrds further.

Hope this is of some help. To be honest I found the R11 not much different than hitting a long iron. Thats inconsistent.

sb1

Visit site
I use the 18 r11 with the rip 85 in stiff. Recently replaced a i15 17.
I find it very forgiving and powerful. The swing weight is quite high, which I liked.
The rip 85 is a very solid shaft - if you find the motore a bit stout, you might have the same issue with this.
The FCT is useful to an extent - if you decrease the loft by 0.5 you open the face by 1 - which may help the hook.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

JPX800 come with a light weight shaft, and I think are a touch closed. Lofts are ok though at 17, 19, 22, and 25, with their own ExsarHS5 shaft.

MP650, being for better players, sit square, but don't do the lofts I want. they do 17, 19, and 22, with a Fujikura Orochi shaft.

Same issue as TM then.

Titleist would work, but they are more expensive, and I think they are the ugly. The 910F and the 910 drivers are lovely, but the hybrid is the ugly sister.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
JPX800 come with a light weight shaft, and I think are a touch closed. Lofts are ok though at 17, 19, 22, and 25, with their own ExsarHS5 shaft.

MP650, being for better players, sit square, but don't do the lofts I want. they do 17, 19, and 22, with a Fujikura Orochi shaft.

Same issue as TM then.

Titleist would work, but they are more expensive, and I think they are the ugly. The 910F and the 910 drivers are lovely, but the hybrid is the ugly sister.

Can you not adjust the loft on the TM models at the hosel?

Jay1

Head Pro
Visit site
I have an old 16degree TM rescue dual as a 2 iron alternative and have recently bought an R11 21degree.

The R11 is very easy to hit, and unlike the rescue dual is very hard to hook, which is good for me as I do have a leftward tendency.

When I got the R11 I also tried the standard RBZ in 22 degree. The thing was imense. Very easy to hit and it went 10 yards further (cary) than the 21 degree R11. The reason I didn't get the RBZ is that I like a slimmer head, the RBZ to my eye is nearer a fairway wood. Also it was too close distance wise to my 16degree so messed my gapping up a bit. Also I found the RBZ very difficult to hit low, which is where the rescue dual is really useful.

I really like the R11, it's a great little club, and out of the rough it is unbelievable. I do prefer long irons, but there are a few places around my track where I often have around 190-200 and often it's from out of the rough,I just wouldn't be able to play the shot with a 3 iron, whereas the R11 cuts through very nicely.

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Murph, I was lucky enough to get chosen by GM/AG for a hybrid fitting recently and came away with a 19&22 RBZ in reg. I think you'd be impressed by these, they are easy to hit, nice solid feel to them when hit and a joy to use. I ain't no big hitter by any means but these have allowed me to reach greens i couldn't before, handicap's gone from 8.1 pre RBZ to 6.9 and definately this is down to using the RBZ's. Hope this helps.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Cheers to those who posted.

The waters are clearing a bit.

I went to DG tonight, and had a thrash with anything which caught my eye. Choice of lofts was limited, as most hybrids in the shop were regular shafts, which are not for me. Probably should be, given my tortoise like swing speed, but I have no idea what is going to happen if I swing with regular in long clubs.

Tried out the following:

Rbz 19
R11 16 with standard shaft.
Adams idea a12 17 pro force vts
Adams Super xtd 19.

Rbz, inconsistent. Really don't like the shaft. When I get it right, it does go though. Not for me, which is a shame, as I figure with a heavier shaft this would rock.

R11, again the shaft lets this down. Would like to have tried the tour version, but they didn't have one. I got the impression that the same loft rbz would be longer though. Head felt nice.

Adams super xtd, a big no. Defo not for me. Spraying it every where, with some very strange ball flights.

Adams a12, loved it. Bizarre to look at, with slots every where, but at least it is black. Not normally a fan of pro force shafts, but this was quite nice. When middled, it was seriously long. Kind of how I thought the rbz would be. Best of the bunch by far.

They are getting me a 19 and a 24 to try next Thursday. Could be a long week.

Didn't try the jpx, but if the Adams goes like I think it will, I won't bother.

Last edited:

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would suggest the older TM Burner circa 2008 / 2009 still available and excellent clubs at good prices

19 and 22 deg

Good from all lies and off the tee, very long hitting weapons

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
you're welcome to try my RBZ 4h & 5 wood at the Buckinghamshire on Monday.... ( both stiff shafts and I'm currently getting great distances with both these clubs)....go up a bit earlier and we can spend a bit of time on the range.......you can also try them on the course.

Last edited:

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have similar issues with gaping and have changed out my 4i for a 4h,so I tried a few hybrids out the other night,the RBZ what's all the fuss about?? absolutely garbage,the R11 on the other hand looks great and is the better of the two but the shaft is a bit weak. So I'm probably going down the 19 degree titleist route again as I can't find anywhere which stocks the Adams.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Murph,

Good Luck with the search. I've been through a few hybrids but always found TM and Adams to be top stuff - if, as you point out, tough to work out what, in the range, would seem best for you. You have done precisely the right thing by trying them out first! And props to DG for enabling it.

I ditched the 3-iron a long time ago in favour of a 19* Rescue and the 4-iron went last year when I got a 4h (21/22) for a decent price. Always had a 2h (17*), so set-up is now slimline 2h, which is only from fairway/tee, and clunk-headed 4h which can get at balls in reasonable rough - not much of that about at the mo! At a pinch, I can take a bit off the 2h (something easy to do with hybrids) so there is no real 'gap' in top end.

Hybrid shafts can be even more troublesome than Driver ones. The 4h is the only standard one I've used and is probably a bit light for me (60-odd gms) but does seem to mean I can Draw the ball (or hook if it goes wrong!) 'naturally' - as opposed to my natural fade.

Looks like the tools DG are getting for you are the right ones!