Time looking for a ball

Yeomanterry

Visit site
We are told you have 3 minutes to find your ball.

A player plays off the tee into long rough on the right. He takes a provisional as it is medal play and put his ball in the same area.

Question: Does he get 3 mins or 6 mins to find his balls.

the players at our club said 3 mins!

then i proposed this scenario .

If his first ball goes right into the rough, and has provisional goes left into the rough. does he get 3 mis for the first ball and then a further 3 mins for the second Ball?

all looked at each other? so what is the answer, rule wise, ethically, and if your on the tee behind what would you say:)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We are told you have 3 minutes to find your ball.

A player plays off the tee into long rough on the right. He takes a provisional as it is medal play and put his ball in the same area.

Question: Does he get 3 mins or 6 mins to find his balls.

the players at our club said 3 mins!

then i proposed this scenario .

If his first ball goes right into the rough, and has provisional goes left into the rough. does he get 3 mis for the first ball and then a further 3 mins for the second Ball?

all looked at each other? so what is the answer, rule wise, ethically, and if your on the tee behind what would you say:)
If both balls are in the same area the 3 minutes covers both. If they are not in the same they get 3 minutes each.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is there a definition of " same area"...?
Not that I can see.

The only almost relevant rule I can see is 7.2 How to Identify Ball
This relates to the player’s ball in an area where the player’s ball is expected to be

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not that I can see.

The only almost relevant rule I can see is 7.2 How to Identify Ball
This relates to the player’s ball in an area where the player’s ball is expected to be

That, to me, produces a massive grey area...especially if the ball has cleared bushes or trees and the exact landing point isn't seen.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That, to me, produces a massive grey area...especially if the ball has cleared bushes or trees and the exact landing point isn't seen.
Both land over the bushes, same area. One lands over the bushes and the other in front - different areas. This might be common sense but we all know that counts for nothing when it comes to rules and golf 😄

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My understanding from some while back was " if looking for the first ball might also find the second ball then the time allowed was 5 minutes ( now 3)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So if you are looking in the area you think your first ball is in but find your second ball…tough..one 3 minute rule applies covering both balls it seems to me.

Yeomanterry

Visit site
Thanks all, clearly the answer is MUD. :) we had a mixture of all here, so we will just do what we think is right. have fun all and enjoy your golf.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks all, clearly the answer is MUD. :) we had a mixture of all here, so we will just do what we think is right. have fun all and enjoy your golf.
What is difficult about
"if looking for the first ball might also find the second ball then the time allowed is 3 minutes" ?

Swango1980

Visit site
And how do you know they're in the same area if you haven't found them yet? 😄
It would be pretty clear they'd be expected to be in the same area, if you searched the same area for both balls.

Whereas if you sliced the first one right, and carved the provisional left, then it is fair to say they are in different areas. Or if one ball was duffed down the right 100 yards, while the next ball was hit down the right 150/200 yards, they'd be expected to be in different areas.

I think beyond what the rule states, it is best to rely on the golfers integrity to understand when then are looking in the same area for both balls. If the rules went further and stated the expected area is a 10m by 10m grid, and the overlap in search area must be no more than 2m, then it would start to become ridiculous :)