Time for a new car

ainley87simon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have had my passat CC 2.0 Diesel for about 18 months now, at the time it was a sound purchase I was doing enough miles (motorway or otherwise) to warrant the diesel engine, now however after a change of jobs I am currently doing about 100 miles a week for my commute, and about 40 at the most over a weekend for golf and cricket, the car is no proving quite uneconomical, the MPG for short journeys is awful, and I don't seem to be getting the value from a tank of diesel I was once.

I am now thinking about moving to a petrol engine car, which I believe are more economical on short journeys? If that is the case what do you guys suggest?

Needs and wants

1) Boot space for a golf bag, and cricket bag (and if HID gets her way baby paraphernalia).
2) 5 doors
3) Suitable for a 28 year old to drive (the CC is probably a bit old for me)
4) Economical for about 200 miles per week at an maximum

Any suggestions? Oh! And I won't be buying new.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Best most economical car i ever owned was a 320D BMW Efficient Dynamics model. The cost of diesel is almost the same as petrol now! Urban i averaged 50mpg, on a motorway run, i could easy get 65mpg. Tax was cheap as it was a company car, it had emissions under 115mg (or whatever the measure is)

you are spoiled for choice though, so may decent economcal motors out there, whats your shortlist of brands and budget?

ainley87simon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not really got any brand perceptions, nothing renault or peugeot (unless it is an RCZ), budget wise whatever I can get for my 60 plate CC which I imagine would be about £7500 sold privately.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Not really got any brand perceptions, nothing renault or peugeot (unless it is an RCZ), budget wise whatever I can get for my 60 plate CC which I imagine would be about £7500 sold privately.

So you're looking for something with a big enough boot to swallow golf clubs, 5 doors and that is economical. But the only Peugeot you will entertain is an RCZ??

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
wont go wrong with a Kia Ceed at the cheaper end of your budget, very reliable, can get a decent spec for a good price, get balance of a 7yr warranty, decent boot space and car does fine economy wise

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
He is 28, not 48!!

I was thinking of suggesting a 16 year old Rover that has only done 6,000 miles, never going over 45 mph and with the one obligatory brake light not working. As all Rovers have. Also comes with drivers flat cap and the ability to get totally confused at mini roundabouts as standard. As I hear the young people dig those as well.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was thinking of suggesting a 16 year old Rover that has only done 6,000 miles, never going over 45 mph and with the one obligatory brake light not working. As all Rovers have. Also comes with drivers flat cap and the ability to get totally confused at mini roundabouts as standard. As I hear the young people dig those as well.

LOL! I was at a local fete type thing last week, a group had a load of classic cars, all sorts from original mini coopers, lotus cortina, ford Anglia etc.. on the end....

A 1996 Rover 216. It was in pretty mint condition, but who in their right minds has the audacity to take that POS to a classic car stand???!!!