Tier 4 - that's golf out for a while!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It could be argued that the use of space is inefficient when local parks and woodland is mobbed with walkers. Offering up golf courses for casual exercisers would be more inclusive of society.

My course has gone to 2 balls at 6 minute intervals. Tee times are fully utilised from 8 til 14.24. That is a lot of golfers, and is probably more individuals using the course than would be out exercising on it if it was closed to golf, and open to the public.

The other odd thing with those exercising, is from my observations of walking every day from my house. Car parks near parks and woods are mobbed, roads jammed with poorly parked cars, many also dangerously parked, sticking into the road, on blind bends etc, because the council have blocked off the areas where parking was safe. Any way, the foot paths near the parking is busy as, but walk a quarter mile or so from there, and the woods and fields are empty. Hardly any one there. So people drive somewhere to exercise, but then don't actually exercise at all. Bizarre.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
And we're out , 3 miles over the border and home club is in tier 3 but we're now tier 4 although as a Director I can go in a "working" capacity but can't play so will be staying away as much as possible.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
We have gone from tier 3 to tier 4. Got a message from the club last night telling us that the fourballs booked in today & tomorrow must play as twos. The course is fully booked most of the day, at 7 minute intervals. I'm not playing but I feel like going up just to witness the chaos unfold.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
2 balls at 8 minute intervals. Out yesterday - nice playing 18 holes with no-one holding you up and no-one pushing you - and an excellent 3hr period of exercise 3mins drive from home. Are we as golfers very fortunate? Of course we are. But we have to be rigorous in our adherence to social distancing and other restrictions in place that enable us to play whilst minimising the risk of transmission.

And I just accept that within a 7day rolling window I can only have one advance booking. I can book further rounds ‘on the day’ where there are empty slots. Today is full. Though I could have about an hour before the light goes this afternoon.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
We have gone from tier 3 to tier 4. Got a message from the club last night telling us that the fourballs booked in today & tomorrow must play as twos. The course is fully booked most of the day, at 7 minute intervals. I'm not playing but I feel like going up just to witness the chaos unfold.

There wouldn’t be any chaos at all if your club had split all those fourballs, with each resulting 2-ball playing nine holes, one the front, the other the back.

Most of our local clubs are doing just that, to allow as many to play as previously, merely limiting them to nine holes. No need to alter pre-Tier 4 tee sheets. If your club hasn’t imposed a nine hole limit then they deserve any chaos which ensues.

D

Deleted member 15344

It should t be chaos - we managed the split fine , first two go off the front , second two go off the back - 9 holes only , worked well for us until we sorted out the booking.

Great attitude.
Which bit of Stay at Home unless essential don‘t you understand?

You can still leave your home for exercise and going for a game of golf or a walk is ok

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
All of Scotland moves to Tier 4 on Saturday - what it means for us (at my place) has just been confirmed - four balls from four different households allowed - on course toilets shut. Have to be on the timesheet to play.

Seems pretty sound to me.

Our toilets on course and in the clubhouse are still open.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
You can still leave your home for exercise and going for a game of golf or a walk is ok
But he’s not doing either, he’s just “going up to watch the chaos unfold”.
Perhaps if people did Stay at Home, the virus might not be spreading so quickly? It must be doing so somehow, but not due to any actions of golfers ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It should t be chaos - we managed the split fine , first two go off the front , second two go off the back - 9 holes only , worked well for us until we sorted out the booking.

When we moved to Tier4 we just cleared down the starting sheet for the next day - that being the first day in Tier4 - and let everyone who was booked know that that had been done - and that two ball bookings for that day - which was the next day - would open at 9pm that evening. I don’t believe there were any issues the next day with four balls turning up and finding that they did not have a tee time.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ireland fully shut down golf wise.

My back needs the rest, theres snow on the ground so I'm not one bit bothered.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Although we've been in tier 4 for a while we had a 4bbb comp booked for tomorrow, understandably that's now been scrapped and we're back to 2 balls as we've been for the last few weeks. It'd be good if it dries out enough to walk 18 holes instead of the 9 we've had all week

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
But he’s not doing either, he’s just “going up to watch the chaos unfold”.
Perhaps if people did Stay at Home, the virus might not be spreading so quickly? It must be doing so somehow, but not due to any actions of golfers ?

No he isn't, he said he feels like just going up to watch the chaos unfold.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I am slightly confused again with the tiering and what's allowed.

My sons golf club is in tier 3 on the border with tier 4 where we live. He is not going back to school on Monday but working from home for 2 weeks due to the risks.

Previously we discussed him having golf lessons with 7 other in a 4 bay in door range aged 7-15 and we decided not to send him but he was due to think about starting again next week before all teh changes again.

Now apparently I am allowed to travel from tier 4 in to tier 3 and take him to lessons where half the kids in his lessons are in tier 4 and the other half in tier 3 and I can stay there while he has his lessons along with the other tier 3 and 4 parents but apparently I am not allowed to play on the course on my own because I am from Tier 4.

My younger son's football team (he is 10) have 5 of their 11 players in Tier 3 and the other 6 in Tier 4. Training has been stopped and the next 2 games postponed as it meant kids from tier 3 coming in to tier 4 to play, this make sense to me as again parents need to bring them, but the golf one doesn't really.

Surely those in tier 3 do not want those in tier 4 coming in regardless i mean the idea is to stop the spread not increase the chances but maybe I am just confused. I mean I know my son won't be going to his lessons but looking at the clubs Facebook page many are over the moon at this mixing and lessons continuing. On a Saturday there are lessons at 9am ,10am and 11am. So at 9.59 the 15 kids and their parents will be there finishing their 9am lesson and another 15 kids and parents for the 10am lessons will be there ready to start their lessons. The clubhouse is closed and the car park and range is small and there are stil people warming up and playing normal golf as well and is as busy as hell, i just don't see how this can help control the spread.