Tier 4 - that's golf out for a while!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have gone from tier 3 to tier 4. Got a message from the club last night telling us that the fourballs booked in today & tomorrow must play as twos. The course is fully booked most of the day, at 7 minute intervals. I'm not playing but I feel like going up just to witness the chaos unfold.

We've got booking for front and back nine and its working fine. Turn up 10 minutes before your tee time, change in the car park (although toilets in the clubhouse are open - locker room isn't) play nine holes and go home. As it's rammed on both nines, the chance to go round and play the back nine (or front) isn't there and a very direct message has gone out from the club that this isn't permitted. Working perfectly

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
We've got booking for front and back nine and its working fine. Turn up 10 minutes before your tee time, change in the car park (although toilets in the clubhouse are open - locker room isn't) play nine holes and go home. As it's rammed on both nines, the chance to go round and play the back nine (or front) isn't there and a very direct message has gone out from the club that this isn't permitted. Working perfectly
If only we could do that. If our course was re routed by playing 1,2,3,17,16,4,5.... the 10th tee would be much nearer the clubhouse & a two tee start would be feasible. In the 60 years I've played there we've tried this twice but for reasons I can't understand we've reverted to the original layout. The alerted layout also obviates players crossing the 17th fairway to get from 15 to 16 so why people are against it I don't know. I imagine around 75% of the members have never played the revised layout & wouldn't be bothered if it were changed.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If only we could do that. If our course was re routed by playing 1,2,3,17,16,4,5.... the 10th tee would be much nearer the clubhouse & a two tee start would be feasible. In the 60 years I've played there we've tried this twice but for reasons I can't understand we've reverted to the original layout. The alerted layout also obviates players crossing the 17th fairway to get from 15 to 16 so why people are against it I don't know. I imagine around 75% of the members have never played the revised layout & wouldn't be bothered if it were changed.

Nice to see the club have considered all the opportunities to allow as many as members as possible to play.....

Diamond

Visit site
I'm not saying it's intensive but burning 750 Cal for 2 hours when you carrying isn't bad going

If you are sedentary and burning no calories in your occupation a round of golf is very good both physically and mentally during the lockdown.

Diamond

Visit site
Golf is healthy but it barely counts as exercise. Golf doesn’t get your heart rate up.
If your aim is to burn fat quickly then golf won’t be effective however for anyone who isnt even taking a walk for exercise golf has a lot of benefits including mental health.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Anyone else worried that we are going to see courses close again, sooner rather than later.

If they restrict exercise to no more than an hour a day it will be hard to justify keeping them open. Probably coincide with the nice dry weather.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Anyone else worried that we are going to see courses close again, sooner rather than later.

If they restrict exercise to no more than an hour a day it will be hard to justify keeping them open. Probably coincide with the nice dry weather.
My feeling is they'll stay open.
In T4 they're open, with 2 balls, no clubhouse...its turn up, play go home. Just like going for a walk.
I don't think there's much more of a lockdown that they can do, maybe tighten up a few of the shops that maybe don't need to be open.
Golf has shown it can be Covid-safe, likelihood of transmission is very small, it's exercise in the open air.
I'll be disappointed if they do close- at least my credit card will be because it'll probably get a hammering.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My feeling is they'll stay open.
In T4 they're open, with 2 balls, no clubhouse...its turn up, play go home. Just like going for a walk.
I don't think there's much more of a lockdown that they can do, maybe tighten up a few of the shops that maybe don't need to be open.
Golf has shown it can be Covid-safe, likelihood of transmission is very small, it's exercise in the open air.
I'll be disappointed if they do close- at least my credit card will be because it'll probably get a hammering.

Remind me what were the rules for the first lockdown. Essential shops (supermarkets and pharmacists). Weren't there limits (supposedly) on travel distance. I fear that Boris is going to go for another full shutdown and that he won't pay any attention to the benefit of golf and that any EGU protestation will make no difference. If we can let the courses rest until Easter and we come out with Covid on the run, the courses coming into their prime I think I'd be happy to pay that price. I've a golf net so I can scratch the itch!

Visit site
Remind me what were the rules for the first lockdown. Essential shops (supermarkets and pharmacists). Weren't there limits (supposedly) on travel distance. I fear that Boris is going to go for another full shutdown and that he won't pay any attention to the benefit of golf and that any EGU protestation will make no difference. If we can let the courses rest until Easter and we come out with Covid on the run, the courses coming into their prime I think I'd be happy to pay that price. I've a golf net so I can scratch the itch!

I think you are right Homer. Our golf course is in poor condition due to the extreme wet weather of late. I could cope with no golf for a while, although I would prefer to play.