Tier 4 - that's golf out for a while!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We are now Tier 4.
Golf is restricted to 2 balls.
9 holes only due to perceived demand and reduced daylight hours.
Club house and shop closed. The Pro has agreed come in and ’monitor’ the tee from the shop.
Government message is ‘Stay at Home’ unless essential.
The virus is spreading.
Is 9 holes of golf really ‘essential’?
I don’t think so, I can easily replicate ‘golf exercise’ by going out for a walk.
On this occasion I think the golf authorities and the All Party group have pulled a fast one, and it doesn’t reflect well.
In fact, I think it shows golf, and golfers as selfish. A group that thinks the rules and message applies to everyone else but themselves. I would be quite content to see my club take a stance and close until restrictions are eased.
A friend sent me a message - We isolate now, so that when we meet again no one is missing.
Nobody has "pulled a fast one"
Golf showed the Govt that it can be played in a safe manner, a manner that minimises the risk of catching, or passing on, the virus.
The Govt could have said No - they did at the beginning of November.
Outdoor sports facilities, gyms, pools and sports courts are open too.
As are archery, driving and shooting ranges...and places of worship...
To say there is more risk picking up the virus in your local Tesco rather than your local golf course is the understatement of the year.
If you don't want to play then you don't have to.
As the Govt have said I can..I will

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
View attachment 34192

Use some common sense ffs.

Nearly 6000 yards for 9 holes???? ?

Your thinking very 1 dimensional though

So the 9 holes off whites is 3700

Walks between holes

That's only 3700 if you go the direct route! What if you go over the back. Or return to your bag for a club other side of green or whatever all adds up to walking .. it's not set at the 3700 yards

I mean one hole in particular has about a 700 yard walk between last green and next hole

Diamond

Visit site
Some of your numbers are miles off.

Your 9 holes are not 3.5 miles, that's just ludicrous.

I ran 25 mins on the treadmill today, 300 calories.

We burn calories anyway but nobody gets slim from ambling round a golf course.

You can’t get slim by running 25 mins on a treadmill if you are 6 foot 14 stone and your calorie intake exceeds 3000 calories a day.
However you can get slim if you play golf/go the range and keep your calories below 1500 calories a day. I have lost half a stone since November by doing this. If they took golf or the range off me I would plateau and probably get discouraged and revert to my old ways.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can’t get slim by running 25 mins on a treadmill if you are 6 foot 14 stone and your calorie intake exceeds 3000 calories a day.
However you can get slim if you play golf/go the range and keep your calories below 1500 calories a day. I have lost half a stone since November by doing this. If they took golf or the range off me I would plateau and probably get discouraged and revert to my old ways.

Also a reason people don't get slim playing golf is the breakfast before hand and the beers afters

Nothing to do with the golf

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Diamond

Visit site
Not sure what your point is, but we lose weight by burning more calories than we stuff down our throat, that's fact.

My original point was that golf is "mild" exercise. It's better than nothing, but hardly intensive.

Golf is a perfect exercise for someone controlling their calories and wanting to lose weight. Intensive exercise often becomes difficult to maintain unless you have specific goals and milestones and even then is more susceptible to injuries and in turn more weight gain.
For anyone overweight and reducing their calories, 4 hours carrying their bag playing Golf is fantastic exercise for mind and body.

Diamond

Visit site

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I normally go with 1000 calories carrying for 12 holes but be careful a full breakfast after the round can easily blow that away and be 1000 calories plus...

This time of year we are carry only

I play 11 holes normally if i can

1-9 Is the 3.39 miles I posted and the 2 holes with the walk round from 9-10 is 0.63 miles

So your looking at a 4 mile walk

Carrying

That's pretty good once a week if you can I think

Better than nothing

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Now that the club is also in Tier 4, we're back on the course.

Limited to 2 balls and 2 bookings per member per week - but that is absolutely fine by me!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the discussion on calories, numbers, distances etc takes us away from the point. Going back to the post that set the thread in that direction, woofers suggested that golfers/clubs/golf organisations were being selfish? But even under Tier 4 we are still encouraged to exercise. For many people, that exercise would comprise going for a walk. One may do that with one other person - suitably socially distanced. Going for a walk is not considered selfish? (At least not by anyone I know). Golf is only going for a walk while hitting a ball as you go. You can do it with one other person - suitably socially distanced. So why would it be considered any more or less selfish than going for a walk?