Tier 4 - that's golf out for a while!

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
We’re Tier 3 but the club are already planning for Tier 4 - two 9 hole courses so we can all get a game in 2-balls. It’s coming, it’s just a matter of when.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
All of Scotland moves to Tier 4 on Saturday - what it means for us (at my place) has just been confirmed - four balls from four different households allowed - on course toilets shut. Have to be on the timesheet to play.

Seems pretty sound to me.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So when most of the country goes tier 4 boxing day all those members from tier 3 who want to play in their tier 4 club .. should be fine as you will be tier 4 lol

D

Deleted member 15344

So when most of the country goes tier 4 boxing day all those members from tier 3 who want to play in their tier 4 club .. should be fine as you will be tier 4 lol
Unless it goes back to a full lockdown that we had in March - that’s what we are expecting

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unless it goes back to a full lockdown that we had in March - that’s what we are expecting

It was just announced tier 4 for more parts of country from boxing day

Don't see golf closing again.. mainly because if you listen carefully to what Boris said Saturday he said tier 4 will be similar to the national lockdown

Which golf wasn't allowed

Then it was announced as fine .. it implies that they have agreed golf is a safe activity

I'm not going into the right or wrongs of it just how it comes across

D

Deleted member 15344

The same sort of announcement they made when areas went into Tier 3 from Tier 2 and then two days later the jump into Tier 4

If cases keep rising then it’s easier and prob best to go back to a full lockdown for a couple of weeks

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
The same sort of announcement they made when areas went into Tier 3 from Tier 2 and then two days later the jump into Tier 4

If cases keep rising then it’s easier and prob best to go back to a full lockdown for a couple of weeks

There is no difference apart from golf, that I can tell. And being able to meet one other person outdoors in public space.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Tier 4 is for want of a better word a complete lockdown , same as November "was"

Even tho click and collect is open

I'd be very surprised if they invented tier 5 or back to full lockdown but shall watch with interest

aaajjj7589

Visit site
I'm in Tier 4, luckily not a member of a club as I play different courses each week. Thinking of joining one locally but the price (£126 PCM) is putting me off. Tier 4 is lockdown besides Golf for 2 people from the same Bubble / Household. How they check you when playing Golf I do not know. Further, alot of people aren't sticking to it with having people round their houses - especially Saturday evenings. If we all just stick to the rules then the quicker we return to normal. This new variant is very worrying and we should all be on high alert more than ever.

I've been to the range the last couple of days as it is too wet to play really. Don't see the point in going round a course in the wet and not getting the distance you typically would when it's that boggy.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
2 people don't need to be from the same household/bubble.
Clubs are running 2 balls now, any 2 people can put their name down to play together.

Very very true

Only way to play bigger is to be in a bubble / household

However my club has said 2 balls only to save any risk

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
I stay in North Wales. Hardly any covid cases round here, but the whole of Wales has been classed as Tier 4 since midnight yesterday. Unlike Englandshire, Tier 4 in Wales means golf courses must close. So, no more golf, at all, until mid January at earliest. Unlike the poster earlier, 2 balls only would be very welcome around these parts.

common sense hasn't hit Wales this time round, parks are busier than golf courses and at least your spaced out on the course over a park. one day they might get it right. chin up pal

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
We are now Tier 4.
Golf is restricted to 2 balls.
9 holes only due to perceived demand and reduced daylight hours.
Club house and shop closed. The Pro has agreed come in and ’monitor’ the tee from the shop.
Government message is ‘Stay at Home’ unless essential.
The virus is spreading.
Is 9 holes of golf really ‘essential’?
I don’t think so, I can easily replicate ‘golf exercise’ by going out for a walk.
On this occasion I think the golf authorities and the All Party group have pulled a fast one, and it doesn’t reflect well.
In fact, I think it shows golf, and golfers as selfish. A group that thinks the rules and message applies to everyone else but themselves. I would be quite content to see my club take a stance and close until restrictions are eased.
A friend sent me a message - We isolate now, so that when we meet again no one is missing.

FELL75

Visit site
I'm in Tier 4, luckily not a member of a club as I play different courses each week. Thinking of joining one locally but the price (£126 PCM) is putting me off. Tier 4 is lockdown besides Golf for 2 people from the same Bubble / Household. How they check you when playing Golf I do not know. Further, alot of people aren't sticking to it with having people round their houses - especially Saturday evenings. If we all just stick to the rules then the quicker we return to normal. This new variant is very worrying and we should all be on high alert more than ever.

I've been to the range the last couple of days as it is too wet to play really. Don't see the point in going round a course in the wet and not getting the distance you typically would when it's that boggy.
I see your point about it being boggy but I played nine holes today in the bright sunshine on a damp course. There's no substitute to being on a course hitting a ball to a fairway/green. A range ball off a mat just doesn't compare imho...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah I'm all for the distancing etc etc, but totally disagree with your comments about not playing golf.

Run properly, we meet on the tee, play golf for 90 minutes or 3 hours in the fresh air, then go home.

It's a (very mild) bit of exercise, it's walking around in the fresh air, it's distancing and it's pretty harmless.
So what's the problem with that?

Very mild? If you carry your clubs it's can be a very good bit of exercise

Say 9 holes is a 3 mile walk coupled with carrying 15kg on your back

Even without the swing that's a lot of calories burned

I mean my 9 holes is 3.5 miles .. 431 calories burned without factoring in carrying

According to Shapefit, a 130-pound (60kg) golfer will burn approximately 325 calories per hour while carrying her clubs, compared to 387 for a 155-pound (70kg) golfer and 474 calories per hour for a 190-pound (85kg) golfer. That means that over a nine-hole round, which while carrying clubs is likely to take around 2.5 hours, golfers burn between 800 and 1200 calories per outing

Do that twice a week .. not bad

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We are now Tier 4.
Club house and shop closed. The Pro has agreed come in and ’monitor’ the tee from the shop.
The virus is spreading.
I don’t think so, I can easily replicate ‘golf exercise’ by going out for a walk.
On this occasion I think the golf authorities and the All Party group have pulled a fast one, and it doesn’t reflect well.
In fact, I think it shows golf, and golfers as selfish. A group that thinks the rules and message applies to everyone else but themselves. I would be quite content to see my club take a stance and close until restrictions are eased.
A friend sent me a message - We isolate now, so that when we meet again no one is missing.

I disagree, the wife and I did the equivalent walk to the 9 holes I hope to play tomorrow and it was nothing like swinging the club is for exercise and I will keep far enough away from my playing partner as to minimise any risk of catching Covid. I am not suffering mental issues during this epidemic but a walk round with a friend will certainly help my wellbeing !

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are now Tier 4.
The virus is spreading.

No one is forcing you to play - make your own choice. I shall be exercising on the golf course