Thumbs down the middle... :)... newbie Q

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi everyone

Well ive spent a few weeks now trying to change my grip from the thumbs down the middle to a stronger grip but its just not working.

Is it old fashioned and not recommended that both thumbs are pointing down the shaft and the two V's are pointing to my chin??? Any views appreciated :)

Thanks
Mattie

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the V's should be pointing more to your right side (shoulder, ear) but someone more qualified than I might say different.

What happens (direction & curve) to your good shots and your bad shots now?

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi

The shots are perfect, dead straight, nice loft etc.
I have an evaluation next week so Ill see what the Pro says.

I hope he says stick with it as it feels really natural and my hands are too big to get a comfortable position anywhere else even with jumbo grips etc!

Mattie

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I don't think you'll have too much of a problem.

The norm is definately nowadays to think in terms of having the Vs pointing towards the right shoulder/ear area ( always has been in my memory), but if your wierd and wonderful grip works for you, do it your own way. There's nowt wrong with being unique as long as the ball does what you want it to after you've hit it. Watch old Lee Travino clips as proof.

When you have tried the slightly stronger grip, how do you go about gripping the club ? I would try holding the club right handed at the base of the grip. Put your left hand on the grip as usual, then, whilst holding the club firm with the right hand, just gently twist your left hand a fraction clockwise.

Then regrip with the left hand, and just add the right hand comfortably as you usually do.

It helps that your Vs are pointing in the same direction, the biggest problem people seem to have is when the Vs are pointing in different directions, so the hands can't work together.

Good luck with the evaluation.

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well like I say ive only been playing a couple of months :)

When I try the stronger grip (and im also a leftie!!) I do exactly as you say, grip the club and kind of stretch my hand over the grip. It does feel quite strong, ill give it another go see if its just something I need to get comfortable with :)

I need some tennis racket size grips I reckon then Ill be able to hold it properly!!! :D

Thanks guys.
Mattie

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Mattie, if you hold it as the book suggest it should look something like this

fviewgrip-1.jpg

However, if you're hitting it straight, dont fix it :D

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Oo and you even flipped the pic for a leftie :) cool!!!

Thanks for that, ill possibly be going the range again tonight, 3 night on the run... its gettin a bit addictive now :D

Mattie

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Oo im startin to whack that ball now I tell thee :)

All this practice is going down well!

Even started using my old 3 wood today, choking down on it like a 5 iron for now, still going straight though and over 200 yards :)

Starting to get a bit expensive now at £5 for 100 balls, gonna have to join a cheap club and play properly I think, 50% range, 50% course.

Mattie