Draw Nights

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi everyone, long time lurker, infrequent poster.

We have a draw night every 3 weeks, for the following 3 weeks tee times for Saturdays as we have quite a large membership. Its not too bad, one person from each 4ball has to go down, grab a beer and wait to be pulled out of the hat.

They've now decided to run it weekly till the end of year, for various reasons but one being that they will get more members into the bar over the winter period.

Just wondered what peoples views on this are, personally I am a little miffed that what was already a minor inconvenience and has now turned into a weekly one (my playing partners live a considerable distance away from the club so it generally falls on me) but can understand the clubs reasons.

Does anyone have a similar set up at their club?

We had that at my old club, helped them with bar takings augmented by a prize draw.

Draw for 10 days time, could book yourself in and 1 other. Be in the bar at 8, pick a number out of a bag.

Worked ok everybody mixed and new each other, not the same 4s every week. If u needed an early time u had the same chance as any at them. If u weren't bothered about the time no need to go up.

I work shifts so sometimes it didn't help me, but it was a fair system.

Nowadays going online at a time when most folk won't be at work seems to be the modern equivalent.

D

Deleted member 16999

That sounds like a pretty poor deal. I couldn't join a club like that.
Although someone will be along soon to tell me it's up to the club and it's members and they can run it how they choose
We are a Members Club, it was introduced by the Comps Committee, I understand why they did it, but all the “retired blokes” that turn up early don’t buy anything, and the same people book the same slots every week regardless, everyone else accepts waiting until friday morning.
Was discussed at last years AGM and decided to stick with it as members who don’t have online access would be disadvantaged.:rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 16999

Not a fan of having BRS and having to book a tee time at the best of times, let alone being told where and when I have to be to book the tee time!!!! Clubs that can do this must have plenty of others things going for them, couldnt want to be a member however good it was with rules like this personally, plenty of other clubs out there and would be going to one of those myself.
BRS isn’t the issue, in fact I’d argue the members and club are better off using it.
The procedure at our place is not a criticism of BRS itself.

D

Deleted member 16999

Sounds a poor system and glad its not in action. I remember back at Wimbledon Common you had to get there mega early each Saturday and Sunday morning to get your name down on the tee sheet for the following week and usually the same four would book the same time and same names. So glad we enter club comps via HowdidIDo and then don't have tee times so roll up other times and play. Everyone knows when the roll up groups go out in the week and weekends and so can always be guaranteed a game there if they need one
So a block booked Tee by default.o_O

Springveldt

Visit site
Ours uses BRS and it goes live on a Tuesday at 17:30 for the next Saturday (11 days away). If you want a time before 11am you need to have it booked by 17:31.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Holy crap. Some of these methods employed by clubs just sound like a way of massaging tee times for the boys or getting member to spend money behind the bar. Not a chance in hairy hell that i'd join a club where I had to physically visit at a certain time to get a decent tee slot. I have work and a life to lead!

BRS bookings that open at same time each week, out of standard working hours so everyone has a fair chance to book. Still a mad rush but at least you have same chance as everyone else.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Was discussed at last years AGM and decided to stick with it as members who don’t have online access would be disadvantaged.:rolleyes:

This sounds like those that make the decisions don't like this new fangled internet thingy, in fact they see no reason why they should change how they have booked the same tee time for years at all....

D

Deleted member 16999

This sounds like those that make the decisions don't like this new fangled internet thingy, in fact they see no reason why they should change how they have booked the same tee time for years at all....
In fairness, how does it being online only make it fair? We have members (as I’d guess others do) that do not own a computer or a moblie phone etc.

We’ve had BRS about 5 years, I’ve no issue them opening it in the Club prior to releasing on line, but it should be at a time that gives all members a chance of being there.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
In fairness, how does it being online only make it fair? We have members (as I’d guess others do) that do not own a computer or a moblie phone etc.

We’ve had BRS about 5 years, I’ve no issue them opening it in the Club prior to releasing on line, but it should be at a time that gives all members a chance of being there.

Simply because in this day and age everyone has easy access to the internet. The BRS phone app means where you are and what you are doing beyond the golf club doesn't matter, you can book a tee time. I get some people don't own computers or just don't get on with technology and that's fine. Let them attend the clubhouse at the time the tee times open and let them access there, but don't give them priority - that just seems open to abuse to me.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi everyone, long time lurker, infrequent poster.

We have a draw night every 3 weeks, for the following 3 weeks tee times for Saturdays as we have quite a large membership. Its not too bad, one person from each 4ball has to go down, grab a beer and wait to be pulled out of the hat.

They've now decided to run it weekly till the end of year, for various reasons but one being that they will get more members into the bar over the winter period.

Just wondered what peoples views on this are, personally I am a little miffed that what was already a minor inconvenience and has now turned into a weekly one (my playing partners live a considerable distance away from the club so it generally falls on me) but can understand the clubs reasons.

Does anyone have a similar set up at their club?

Where is this club....just so I never go there by mistake!!!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Simply because in this day and age everyone has easy access to the internet. The BRS phone app means where you are and what you are doing beyond the golf club doesn't matter, you can book a tee time. I get some people don't own computers or just don't get on with technology and that's fine. Let them attend the clubhouse at the time the tee times open and let them access there, but don't give them priority - that just seems open to abuse to me.

Not everyone has easy access. You can choose to have easy access, that is different to everyone having easy access.

If you want to play the medal/competition you will make the effort to get a time, simply like you'll log onto your computer/app to get a time.

sunshine

Visit site
Sounds like an old boys clubs run by retired people who have self interest as their highest priority.
Bet there aren't many members of working age, they are just creating a problem for the future.

Is this club in a small town or village? Can't see how this would work in a metropolitan area.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our club has online booking as I mentioned, but if you don't have internet for some reason (Amish?) or don't want to do that you can just contact our club secretary and he'll book you in with everyone. Pretty simple really, I don't think that's inconvenient for anybody.

D

Deleted member 16999

Our club has online booking as I mentioned, but if you don't have internet for some reason (Amish?) or don't want to do that you can just contact our club secretary and he'll book you in with everyone. Pretty simple really, I don't think that's inconvenient for anybody.
Previous to on line booking it was turn up at the Club and put your name down on a sheet, in effect everyone was equal.
I’m all for using technology, but Clubs have to realise they should try and “open” the booking at a time that helps the maximum number of members.
It’s not a case of being “Amish” some people have jobs were they are not allowed to carry their phones or have access to them.
The trying to force people to go the Club in the hope of them spending money is the issue imo.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Previous to on line booking it was turn up at the Club and put your name down on a sheet, in effect everyone was equal.
I’m all for using technology, but Clubs have to realise they should try and “open” the booking at a time that helps the maximum number of members.
It’s not a case of being “Amish” some people have jobs were they are not allowed to carry their phones or have access to them.
The trying to force people to go the Club in the hope of them spending money is the issue imo.
How is everyone equal there if you have to go to the club to sign in?? The retiree that lives next door to the club is not equal to the family man who works all day and sees his kids in the evening, and lives half hours drive away is he!

sunshine

Visit site

It would really annoy me if you were busy booking your Saturday 4 ball while serving my Big Mac. ;)

D

Deleted member 16999

How is everyone equal there if you have to go to the club to sign in?? The retiree that lives next door to the club is not equal to the family man who works all day and sees his kids in the evening, and lives half hours drive away is he!
It’s the same for everyone, ie, Go to the Club, no system will or would be 100%.
I can only talk for my own Club, our start sheets were put up in the Pro Shop the previous weekend, everyone knew the opening hours and had the same opportunity.
Currently as I’ve posted, ours is to encourage people to spend money and you can’t book by phone till the following day either.