Thoughts and advice on this one.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played today and bumped into an ex PP in the car park, we had finished he was just starting.

He tells me he had a golf club nicked out of his bag. He had played the 9th, was walking past the clubhouse and car park and a fellow PPs back was playing up. So Me ex PP ran to his mates car and got his support belt out of the boot. Picked his bag up which he had left near the club shop /driving range/courtyard. He got down to the 10th with his pals got to the 10th green and his putter is missing.
He then goes onto tell me he reported the club going missing in the office and was informed that a society from 100 miles away is playing the course that day. Now he has been looking on Facebook and eBay for this club on the off chance it may surface, and lo and behold one that is exactly the same has turned up on ebay (but it has a different grip). He mentioned markings etc on the club. Not only that it is from the same town that’s over 100 miles away as the society that played our place. Suffice to say he is gutted his club was nicked.
Thats as much as I know but is there really anything he can do.
Thoughts greatly appreciated.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Two things.....firstly I'm not sure a random thief would go to the effort of changing a grip unless the original one was very distinctive. Secondly, is your PP absolutely sure he didn't leave his putter at the previous green?

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Two things.....firstly I'm not sure a random thief would go to the effort of changing a grip unless the original one was very distinctive. Secondly, is your PP absolutely sure he didn't leave his putter at the previous green?

This. Also easy to blame a society when it could as easily be a member of the golf club.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Seems very strange.

Not everyone out there has the right moral compass, its a shame to hear about this!

I assume the putter was a very valuable one for someone to go to the effort of taking it from his actual bag! Shocking if thats what did happen!!

Is the grip on the club for sale brand new?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
If it's a decent putter, changing the grip to make it less identifiable would be viable. How common is the putter? Does the club have cctv?

It's unlikely to be the same one, but, stranger things have happened.

Theft of clubs left outside clubhouses is really common. Any 36 hole event I play in, the clubs go back in the car between rounds.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

Buy the club on eBay.
Then he has the seller's name and address.
The GM can contact the Society organiser and enquire if this guy was at the the society day.
If it turns up and it's 100% definitely his club, message the seller spelling out that he knows exactly what happened with location, place and time, and that for a full refund he will not report it.

Then when he gets the refund, report it.
Oooooh naughty.......but I like your way of thinking! :D

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I have to admit I am a little surprised when I see trolleys and bags left unattended outside the clubhouse and pro shop (pre Covid times) and the owners are having a drink/coffee etc pre or post round. It would be so easy for someone to lift out a club and pop it in their bag. I am always wary about leaving my bag for more than a minute or two unless my PP's are there. You would hope that its safe, especially in a member's club but when visitors are around there has to be a risk.
I do think its good that this sort of incident isn't more common in this day and age given the cost of clubs.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had a spate of drivers being stolen from the bags when left outside the changing rooms. Deliberate act as what the thief did was to actually swap the club with another cheap and nasty one putting the proper head cover on it so it was not noticed straight away.

When I see players leaving there bags in the changing rooms I always tell them it is the worst place to leave it if they think they leaving it in a safe place.

I always advise outside the patio doors/ windows in full sight of people in the lounge.

Tashyboy

Visit site
The putter in question is as desirable as you can imagine.What model it is, Ave not got a clue. There was a few coincidences when he was telling me. But he said it was deffo taken.
Seems very strange.

Not everyone out there has the right moral compass, its a shame to hear about this!

I assume the putter was a very valuable one for someone to go to the effort of taking it from his actual bag! Shocking if thats what did happen!!

Is the grip on the club for sale brand new?[/QUOTE]

in all honesty I don’t know, am sure Ave put everything down what he told me.

What Ave not mentioned is another guy told me on the 10th that an ex workmate of ours had A TIA/ stroke a few days ago so that kinda knocked me back. Ave had 10 mins on the phone with him. Then PP who had his putter knicked told me of his 50th do at Southport next May 3 x courses for £699. That knocked me back. Then Ave had 15 mins on the phone with a woman in Italy who’s husband is in a drug induced coma due to Covid. So it’s been a. Its been a bit mental.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't know if the putter was a desirable (Scotty etc) or a rare model but if it had distinctive marks it seems strange that one with the same marks appears on ebay albeit with a different grip although that is a five minute job to do to try and disguise the fact it may have been nicked. I would definitely check the possibility of it being left by the PP's car, on another green etc.

As for Tashyboy that is a full house of crapiness matey.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ask him for some detailed photos of the marks.
If it’s his buy it with PayPal ,you can just take your money back then using Chargeback.
Leave him a message telling him what you have done and why.
And your sending the cctv to the police. ( they don’t know if you have any.)
Scumbags trick imo .
But doing this you must be 100% certain of your facts.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Ask him for some detailed photos of the marks.
If it’s his buy it with PayPal ,you can just take your money back then using Chargeback.
Leave him a message telling him what you have done and why.
And your sending the cctv to the police. ( they don’t know if you have any.)
Scumbags trick imo .
But doing this you must be 100% certain of your facts.

am hoping to bump into him again on Thursday,1, to have a natter about this. 2, he is having a 50th golf do next year.he has just told me it’s £699 for three days at Southport. So am gonna give that a miss.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
am hoping to bump into him again on Thursday,1, to have a natter about this. 2, he is having a 50th golf do next year.he has just told me it’s £699 for three days at Southport. So am gonna give that a miss.
Didn’t know there was a Dorchester in Southport.
That’s steep where’s he playing.?

Tashyboy

Visit site
Didn’t know there was a Dorchester in Southport.
That’s steep where’s he playing.?

S and A, Royal Birkdale and an other. Sunday through to Tuesday. I said I would go but don’t know it would cost me more than a years membership at my place. ?
Am in Normandy ( hopefully) 2 weeks before so it’s a bit much and a bit to soon.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
S and A, Royal Birkdale and an other. Sunday through to Tuesday. I said I would go but don’t know it would cost me more than a years membership at my place. ?
Am in Normandy ( hopefully) 2 weeks before so it’s a bit much and a bit to soon.
Well a seasoned traveller like yourself can’t be slumming it at S&A and Birkdale. ;)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played today and bumped into an ex PP in the car park, we had finished he was just starting.

He tells me he had a golf club nicked out of his bag. He had played the 9th, was walking past the clubhouse and car park and a fellow PPs back was playing up. So Me ex PP ran to his mates car and got his support belt out of the boot. Picked his bag up which he had left near the club shop /driving range/courtyard. He got down to the 10th with his pals got to the 10th green and his putter is missing.
He then goes onto tell me he reported the club going missing in the office and was informed that a society from 100 miles away is playing the course that day. Now he has been looking on Facebook and eBay for this club on the off chance it may surface, and lo and behold one that is exactly the same has turned up on ebay (but it has a different grip). He mentioned markings etc on the club. Not only that it is from the same town that’s over 100 miles away as the society that played our place. Suffice to say he is gutted his club was nicked.
Thats as much as I know but is there really anything he can do.
Thoughts greatly appreciated.
Could you check the date the ad was put on Ebay ?

D

Deleted member 1740

Best part of £380 just to play those two, add in another round and 2 nights dinner bed and breakfast, £699 isn't too expensive all things considered.