The Purest Form of Golf

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Scratch Foursomes.

How many of you have played it?

Actually, while Individual Scratch is a traditional 'Pure', I believe random pairing Foursomes, with 'negotiated' handicaps, nay be one of the 'Purer Traditions' of golf - certainly what 'Dinner Matches' were/are in HCEG terms.

1GG_Grumps

Hacker
Visit site
Haven't played it very often Doon but enjoyed it. Last time out we were partnered against two older teenagers who banged the ball a mile. My partner holed the second shot on 16 to win the match. They weren't impressed.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I agree Doon. All our 1st team KO matches are foursomes in the morning and singles in the afternoon. Love scratch foursomes, playing for your mates....no hiding place.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As a youth the Longniddry Foursomes was a great event.
I don't know if it is still played.
Pro and amateur partner off scratch. Always attracted a few Walker Cuppers and internationals.

The reason I asked was that scratch foursomes only seems to be played at university, county and international match level now.
The skill levels are very high as you have to take your partners game into consideration.
I used to have an old partner who would occasionally swear at me when I put my tee shot in the middle of the fairway. He played off a low handicap with a Bobby Locke style draw, or in his case hook!

The HCEG type dinner matches are off arranged handicaps and involve serious amounts of wagers. Hardly pure golf IMO.

Yer Maw

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm afraid I'm not amazing enough to play this purest form of golf. Oh well will have to settle for simply playing golf with my non willie waving golfing friends.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree Doon. All our 1st team KO matches are foursomes in the morning and singles in the afternoon. Love scratch foursomes, playing for your mates....no hiding place.

Same as our scratch team matches...........great fun!!!!!!.......love matchplay.......even when you lose to the last putt on the last hole 2 days running!!!!! :-(

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our league matches were always scratch foursomes when I was down at Kingsdown (wilts). Some days you'd be playing a couple of +2's and others you'd be facing a pair of 7's. Good game for mental fortitude as I recall. When I moved up here they dont play it but use scratch single instead. Shame as you have teams of 10 (5 pairs) and it was a good social afternoon but only 5 singles up here and then you'd struggle to get a team together. Very odd really as we used to run 2 scratch teams of 10 players in each and there was always folks wanting to play and it was great at giving the up and coming young players some team outings under the wings of an older player.

S

Snelly

I absolutely love foursomes. Scratch foursomes is even better. The Sussex county matches that I used to play in have foursomes included and were brilliant.

I agree with DFT - a really pure form of the game.

West Sussex GC only allows foursomes and I play it quite a bit. A superb game with all the camaraderie of a 4-ball but a different, challenging game that is great to play in.