The prepared survives! (Open Comps 2020)

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date

Solidthreeputt

Visit site
This year is clearly a bit if an anomaly but I’m really keen to play in a multiple day open stableford competition. If anyone knows of any good ones, recommendations would be appreciated. I’m aware of the Causeway Coast and those organised by Sean Coyle, but if anyone knows of others please point me toward them! Thanks.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This year is clearly a bit if an anomaly but I’m really keen to play in a multiple day open stableford competition. If anyone knows of any good ones, recommendations would be appreciated. I’m aware of the Causeway Coast and those organised by Sean Coyle, but if anyone knows of others please point me toward them! Thanks.

There are quite a few of these now, although may be cancelled this year. The Wirral classic, the Southport coast one, locally to me, think there is an Ayrshire one and a few more.

D

Deleted member 25172

Back up on the horse again. Signed up for a 36 hole medal at Royal Cinque Ports together with @Papas1982 at the end of August. 36 holes if you make the cut that is, but if so a real bargain at £80 as it's about £170-£180 per round usually.

Fingers crossed!

D

Deleted member 25172

If you dont make the cut on that there is something seriously wrong.

mega bandit :p

If I were to make the cut playing like I did at Sunningdale I'd honestly pack my bags and leave after first round.

Sunningdale will forever be a mixed feeling of joy and embarrassment in equal measures.

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
It’s not a stableford, but a two day cumlative medal at Dunstanburgh Castle in north east. 27th and 28th June. Pick tee time Saturday, where you finish after day one is where you start on the Sunday. £50 entry, prizes down to 10th with first prize of £500. Hole in one gets you a car. Great course, great club.

sunshine

Visit site
It’s not a stableford, but a two day cumlative medal at Dunstanburgh Castle in north east. 27th and 28th June. Pick tee time Saturday, where you finish after day one is where you start on the Sunday. £50 entry, prizes down to 10th with first prize of £500. Hole in one gets you a car. Great course, great club.

On the floor of the local kebab house?

D

Deleted member 25172

BUMP!

The prepared survives 2021 edition.

So, 2020 didn't go exactly like planned you could say.

Saunton Easter Challenge - Got swapped for the Belfry, which of course was cancelled.

Princes Committee Cup - Cancelled

Royal Cinque Ports - Check, but I wish that would've been cancelled looking back at it. Played RCP twice now, and since this last visit was in August and not November, I was naïve in thinking that the weather would be somewhat better given the time of year. LOL. It was worse. Much worse.

Get back on the horse for 2021 and I've got my eyes set on the following so far...

Princes Committee Cup in may. 36 holes late May bank holiday.

A Wales swing to play two courses I've never played before. Hell, I've never been to Wales as far as I know.

Aberdovey and Royal St Davids for £30 each, and the opens are both on a weekend. Bargain.

On our way there, we'll be passing Birmingham and I've scouted 2 courses that wouldn't take us off track by much.

Handsworth Golf Club and Sandwell Park Golf Club. Looks like they're practically neighbours. Anyone who've played both of them and could recommend which to choose?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 25172

Both are worth a visit, Sandwell right next to M5 and Handsworth but further in. Do one on the way up and one on way back ?

I just picked them at random when looking at google maps, but both looks good. I don't know the area, so if there are any others close by that you think are better then please shout!

D

Deleted member 25172

Good man!

Royal Porthcawl have posted their Opens on the website this week. Have entered the Winter Open at end of February.

Have also entered the Bideford Bay Pairs (Saunton and RND) in July.

Others pending. Hopefully these will happen!!

I so badly want to go play Saunton for their Easter Open, but I don't think I can push it much further without risking my gf to pack her bags. :D

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just picked them at random when looking at google maps, but both looks good. I don't know the area, so if there are any others close by that you think are better then please shout!
Both are top notch, if we're coming on the M6 Walmley and Sutton Coldfield are two good courses just North of it.
To West of Brum you have also for Robin Hood, Olton and Copt Heath, all worth a knock

D

Deleted Member 1156

I so badly want to go play Saunton for their Easter Open, but I don't think I can push it much further without risking my gf to pack her bags. :D
Entry for Saunton opens on 8th Jan........just saying :devilish: