The prepared survives! (Open Comps 2020)

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25172

Yeah I’ve already been made aware of this. I got told £45 for the lodge as it’s A special Open rate.

That is indeed a great price. Per head I take it, not per room?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I've identified a few Opens that I want to play, whether they fit in with work/life balance and golfing desires is another matter.

Will probably do The Machrie again in May and look at Brora plus Dornoch if I can time it right.

D

Deleted member 25172

Definitely interested in doing a few of these next year!

Great stuff. Let me know if you wanna share hotel and stuff and we can book things up. Princes doing the deal as mentioned with a practice round free of charge the day before if booking the lodge.

D

Deleted member 21258

Think I am going to play in an Alwoodley Open and the Shifnal Captains Open next year, with the family. Kind of got my eye on the Tralees Captains Open but will really depend on date/cost.

Had hoped to do the Mixed Open at St Georges Hill(a lot cheaper than green fee, when I got details for the 2019 one) but wifes handicap hasn't quite got low enough for it, so looks like it probably wont happen.

Hoping to play in the golf clubs guest day opens with friends/family.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Think I am going to play in an Alwoodley Open and the Shifnal Captains Open next year, with the family. Kind of got my eye on the Tralees Captains Open but will really depend on date/cost.

Had hoped to do the Mixed Open at St Georges Hill(a lot cheaper than green fee, when I got details for the 2019 one) but wifes handicap hasn't quite got low enough for it, so looks like it probably wont happen.

Hoping to play in the golf clubs guest day opens with friends/family.
There are a few Mixed Greensomes opens up here, Dornoch and Nairn Def have one anyway

D

Deleted member 21258

There are a few Mixed Greensomes opens up here, Dornoch and Nairn Def have one anyway

Need to get upto that area and play some courses and do some walking/sightseeing, will have to have a look at what opens they do, cheers for the tip. Not been to the area since a child !

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Need to get upto that area and play some courses and do some walking/sightseeing, will have to have a look at what opens they do, cheers for the tip. Not been to the area since a child !

the mixed is at the begining of Sept, there is also one called the Wellie cup which is mixed in May but don't know if thats an open or not.

Fortose is a good mixed course too pretty short

D

Deleted member 25172

Has anyone here played Aberdovey?

A fellow member at the club had been there and really enjoyed it, so looked it up and found they have a gents open on a Saturday in July for under £30. A bit remote for someone like me without a car, but I’m happy to find a solution. Question is if the travel is worth it? Would of course look at booking in another course or 2 on the way.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site

A fellow member at the club had been there and really enjoyed it, so looked it up and found they have a gents open on a Saturday in July for under £30. A bit remote for someone like me without a car, but I’m happy to find a solution. Question is if the travel is worth it? Would of course look at booking in another course or 2 on the way.

If you can get there and tie a couple of courses in on the way then it’s worth it. Decent course/club and just a nice area in general for a golf trip 👍

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

Aberdovey is super...played there a few times. It's not an easy place to get to without a car! (not an easy drive from London in a car! :) ) Well worth doing though

D

Deleted member 21258

Aberdovey, great welcome, nice clubhouse. Course has flashes of greatness, but to many straight blandish holes for my liking. Very few shots make you think about your shot.

However for £30ish, definitely worth playing and great value.

For someone without a car, a bit of a pain to get to. Royal St Davids is 'fairly' close if someone is driving and a better test of golf imho.

Have you considered South Wales, Royal Porthcrawl/Southerndown/P&K etc maybe an easierarea for you to access ?

D

Deleted member 25172

Aberdovey, great welcome, nice clubhouse. Course has flashes of greatness, but to many straight blandish holes for my liking. Very few shots make you think about your shot.

However for £30ish, definitely worth playing and great value.

For someone without a car, a bit of a pain to get to. Royal St Davids is 'fairly' close if someone is driving and a better test of golf imho.

Have you considered South Wales, Royal Porthcrawl/Southerndown/P&K etc maybe an easierarea for you to access ?

Quck search tells me around 4:30 on train, and from my understanding, the golf course is about 10 paces or so from the station. I love going for long haul train journeys oddly enough, so no problem!

Everything is on the cards for me really tbh as long as it's somewhat accessible. As has been shown here just recently, with 3 guys taking up the offer of going to Princes with me, it usually works out in the end. :)

D

Deleted member 21258

Quck search tells me around 4:30 on train, and from my understanding, the golf course is about 10 paces or so from the station. I love going for long haul train journeys oddly enough, so no problem!

Everything is on the cards for me really tbh as long as it's somewhat accessible. As has been shown here just recently, with 3 guys taking up the offer of going to Princes with me, it usually works out in the end. :)

If you do make it across, would be happy to host you at Royal St Davids(iirc guest rate is £20 or £25) on the same trip, which I think you can get a train to from Aberdovey easily (could pick you up from Harlech station, or an outline possibility maybe pick you up from Aberdovey, as I would like a return game there[wouldn't do the open tho, as can play there for cheaper]).

Will be probably posting up shortly about the guest days at Beau Desert Golf & Saunton & RSD not sure if RSD has a guest day tho (and maybe some other courses I am a member of, but probably will keep them to family/clients). Just need to look at the diaries and it is one of my 'goals' to attend a guest day at each club in one year, which I have never managed, sad or what. smacks head :LOL:

D

Deleted member 25172

The "book it and they will come" mantra is a good one..... Look out for the Porthcawl Winter Open in February, team of 4 event, well worth the trip. (sheet not up yet)

For South Wales, I could collect you from Newport station!

If you do make it across, would be happy to host you at Royal St Davids(iirc guest rate is £20 or £25) on the same trip, which I think you can get a train to from Aberdovey easily (could pick you up from Harlech station, or an outline possibility maybe pick you up from Aberdovey, as I would like a return game there[wouldn't do the open tho, as can play there for cheaper]).

Will be probably posting up shortly about the guest days at Beau Desert Golf & Saunton & RSD not sure if RSD has a guest day tho (and maybe some other courses I am a member of, but probably will keep them to family/clients). Just need to look at the diaries and it is one of my 'goals' to attend a guest day at each club in one year, which I have never managed, sad or what. smacks head :LOL:

Thanks to both of you for that!

The highlighted what the forum is about, for me. Come next year, don't be surprised if I take you up on it! :)

D

Deleted member 25172

Just booked/paid for the Committe Cup Open at Princes on Monday 25th May, but will be going down the day before for a practice round and a few drinks at the lodges. Hope to see a few forumers down there!