The peasants are revolting

RichA

Visit site
Not quite sure why grown adults who aren't very good at something are expecting some sort of recognition for it? I've really never understood this.
Couldn't care less about recognition. Not even sure if we have an honours board.
What I'm really unsure of is why the "big fish" are bothering with local club comps when there are elite comps they could be entering where they wouldn't be troubled by average club golfers.
Maybe they're not as good as like to think they are.
Maybe it's easier on the ego to lose to someone you can say is worse than you than getting it handed to you off scratch every weekend.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just had a quick look at our captains day results which seems to be the catalyst for this guys gripes.
There was 151 in the comp. now if you relate it to olden days. 55 players finished with 36 points and above.In essence, playing to handicap. If you wanted to take it further, 78 finished with 34 points and above which ? Would/ could of been buffer zone.
The guy who had the moan. Plays off WHS 3.1 which is 5 in the comp. he shot 40 points And finished 10th. However he had 4 one pointers. wipe them out he wins the comp. He has said that for him to win he has to near on shoot a course record. That’s a 65. He needed 69 on the day to win.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If more and more people do migrate away from club competitions then we'll have achieved the aim of WHS in making our golf more like that of America, where club competitions are played once in a blue moon by recreational golfers and most never bother entering one.

Pretty sad really.

since when was that an aim of WHS Nick?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If more and more people do migrate away from club competitions then we'll have achieved the aim of WHS in making our golf more like that of America, where club competitions are played once in a blue moon by recreational golfers and most never bother entering one.

Pretty sad really.
Interesting. And i agree, not a direction to be encouraged.
Fwiw, my own club doesn't seem to have too much of an issue with this. Almost all singles comps are flighted 1/2/3, so good players aren't playing against high caps.. Winning score normally high 30s. Hcap committee keeps a weather eye on stuff. Just lucky I guess.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Why is that right? That pretty much prevents anyone with a double digit handicap from ever getting their name on an honours board.

There surely needs to be some balance here. I absolutely agree there is a place for some board events to be awarded to the best scratch score - club championship being the obvious example. But getting your name on a board in the clubhouse should be within the grasp of everyone, not the preserve of those who either have a God given talent for this infuriating game, or those who can afford the hours required to get to low single figures.

I would think it’s very unlikely that a double diget golfer would be able to win lowest gross against scratch or low golfers and if they did it would be rare.

I know you can still get your name on a honors board at some clubs for winning a h/c competition Rabbits for example, my club have no honors board we have prize for best gross and best net and trophys for each.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

Pretty sad really.

Agreed if true. Also, not the experience at my club. In fact, I think comp entries are up. Every Saturday is a comp at Newport, and times are always full from 7am to early afternoon..

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Imagine a club opened a year or two ago with a few hundred members, zero comps & no handicaps, everyone just pays their subs & does their own thing that suits them playing with and against their friends

Someone suggests the idea of a comp open to all members (no shots given of course as there’s no handicaps) £5 entry fee. It’s a massive success, fun was had by all and one of the pre-comp favourites wins the day, applause all round and rightly so. Its quickly touted as an annual event, no one disagrees and why would they, a fiver for good fun with mates and like-minded others, great craic

In fact it’s such a hoot no one wants to wait a year so its suggested to make it a biannual thing and a voice shouts why not monthly! & the crowd goes wild. But after a few months the novelty of paying £5 every month on top of subs begins to wears off on all but the winners and a little dissent creeps in about why they’re basically funding new bags & trollies for these fellas... but the club are reveling in the extra business in the bar/food etc and also getting a cut from entry fee and soon its proclaimed to have comps every fortnight while booking all the choice tee times to boot

And that’s the tipping point. Everyone outside the top table players say ‘£120 a year to watch Tom, Dick and Harry win again! Good for them but screw that for a game of soldiers, let’s leave them to do their thing and we’ll go back to what we used to do and save our dosh for a nice away day’
So to secure the income the club talk to the top players for a solution and say to the masses… ‘ok how about this, we’ll give you folks some shots to give you a sniff’ we can’t say fairer than that. The solution is as old as any game
(c’mon as kids who didn’t receive or give a head-start to someone else in xyz race/game when the other fella always won/lost)

Who on this forum would disagree with giving some shots? It’s a perfectly logical solution to a very real problem… everything else is just folks arguing back and forth about how many shots to give each person & there will never be a one size fits all solution

badgergm

Visit site
Imagine a club opened a year or two ago with a few hundred members, zero comps & no handicaps, everyone just pays their subs & does their own thing that suits them playing with and against their friends

Someone suggests the idea of a comp open to all members (no shots given of course as there’s no handicaps) £5 entry fee. It’s a massive success, fun was had by all and one of the pre-comp favourites wins the day, applause all round and rightly so. Its quickly touted as an annual event, no one disagrees and why would they, a fiver for good fun with mates and like-minded others, great craic

In fact it’s such a hoot no one wants to wait a year so its suggested to make it a biannual thing and a voice shouts why not monthly! & the crowd goes wild. But after a few months the novelty of paying £5 every month on top of subs begins to wears off on all but the winners and a little dissent creeps in about why they’re basically funding new bags & trollies for these fellas... but the club are reveling in the extra business in the bar/food etc and also getting a cut from entry fee and soon its proclaimed to have comps every fortnight while booking all the choice tee times to boot

And that’s the tipping point. Everyone outside the top table players say ‘£120 a year to watch Tom, Dick and Harry win again! Good for them but screw that for a game of soldiers, let’s leave them to do their thing and we’ll go back to what we used to do and save our dosh for a nice away day’
So to secure the income the club talk to the top players for a solution and say to the masses… ‘ok how about this, we’ll give you folks some shots to give you a sniff’ we can’t say fairer than that. The solution is as old as any game
(c’mon as kids who didn’t receive or give a head-start to someone else in xyz race/game when the other fella always won/lost)

Who on this forum would disagree with giving some shots? It’s a perfectly logical solution to a very real problem… everything else is just folks arguing back and forth about how many shots to give each person & there will never be a one size fits all solution

The much simpler answer is handicap divisions. Handicaps are great and all that, but it is too much of a stretch for a 3 handicapper to be in same competition as an improving 33 handicapper who took up the game 9 months ago. They aren't really playing the same game.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I suppose, to answer your questions, you need to see this

View attachment 37009
The -1.5 differential was a weird frosty morning in April 2019, when I shot one under par. Extra 25 yards of roll on my drives and I know how to do things like run the ball onto greens with a six iron from 100 yards.
I would be very interested to know where my consistency lies?
3 to 6 with danger of going really low or blowing out, so your self-analysis of 'inconsistent' is correct. Perhaps you should try to analyse 'Why?'! Too aggressive? Concentration/Focus?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
My last 10 scores from the start of May. Course is 70.8/132 and my current HI is 3.4
72, 80, 86, 84, 78, 77(PCC +1), 79(PCC +2), 78, 72, 76.
So my range of scores either side of my handicap is -2.4 to +11.
What group of players am I recognisably far more consistent than?
I would say none.
It is hard for me to shoot 7 below my handicap, but that has been true for me since 1977 when I first got to 5, so I accept it as a fact of life.
I had my day in 1977 with 69-8=61. And a few more good days since. I do not whinge about anyone having their day off whatever handicap.

great another bit of anecdotal evidence used a reason to dismiss a hypothesis.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
3 to 6 with danger of going really low or blowing out, so your self-analysis of 'inconsistent' is correct. Perhaps you should try to analyse 'Why?'! Too aggressive? Concentration/Focus?
I think its down to how much pain in the lower spine, amount of discomfort and lack of sleep night before, general aches, pains and stiffness and stuff like that. Just glad I can still get out there. The exercise does me good. Now those poor scores do not affect my handicap like they did before so I do not need to worry about my inconsistency. I just go out to beat my 8th best.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
great another bit of anecdotal evidence used a reason to dismiss a hypothesis.
Where did I attempt to dismiss anything? I posed a question and proffered my view to that question.
My view is that as a low-handicapper I am not recognisably more consistent than a notional higher handicapper. I used my personal data as an example.
Others may have a different view. I am here to see those views expressed. I am amenable to being influenced by those views.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
"we'll have achieved the aim of WHS in making our golf more like that of America"

surely the aim was to create a handicap system that should enable golfers anywhere in the world to compete on a level basis?

How many of us have actually played a official comp abroad
There are so many differences between countries

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
if i look at our strokeplay Medals so far in 2021 (wont get started on the stablefords!), in 5 comps, there have only been 4 single figures guys in the top 3 (3 of which incidentally all on the same day, so in 4 comps there was one single figure guy in top 3). Also take in to account our strokeplay comps are on our championship course which is almost 7,000 yards long, so it puts off some of the higher handicappers too.
What proportion of the field was single figure as opposes to 10-20 & 21+ ?