The Open 2018

D

Deleted member 1418

Obviously Tiger will never be as good as he was at his best. He is the wrong side of 40 with a knackered back. He still had enough ability to lead and compete at a major, and it still doesn't mean he definitely won't win one again.

Molinari is clearly playing the golf of his life right now, and the fact that Tiger finished 3 shots behind him is your argument for why he will never win again. I just don't get it.

Because Molinari won't ever play as well again as he is now; because Rory at some point will come good and sort out his issues; because Spieth won't ever have as bad a round as he did on Sunday; because DJ will go back to the US in his comfort zone and start winning again etc etc.

Basically Woods had a great tournament, but others either exceeded themselves or played utter dross.

And all of them are younger and have longer left in the game. And that's even before you throw all the younger players coming through into the mix.

Personally I think Woods will win again at a tour event (I've said previously he won't but I now think he will) - perhaps at the Greater Wisconsin Waste Management (we'll clean up after you've soiled yourself) Open, but I think not a major.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For what it's worth

Rory was hit and miss but that eagle showed what is special about him.

Tiger still has an amazing aura about him, the buzz around Carnoustie when he took the lead was awesome. Love or hate him he draws a crowd and golf still has a place for him

Spieth, bottled it when it mattered, he's blown as many big chances as he's won. An amazing talent but for me lacks the ruthlessness of say Tiger. If he had that he could easily have won another couple of majors and possibly the career grand slam already. Frightening to think how good he is and how much better he could be. I believe he has the Fu game but lacks a bit mentally, still young though.

Frankie, a simply stunning display of weekend golf and a deserved champion

Agreat open and one of the best in recent years, probably even better than Royal Troon

D

Deleted member 15344

Definitely down to Rory.......:thup:

Its always going to see a viewing figure rise in the US - without Woods playing there is a massive audience that dont watch the game because it’s full of your upper class white men playing a posh sport - people from many areas don’t watch a Jordan Spieth or Bubba Watson but they will watch Woods on the telly , the increase has been happening at all the US Event he plays in

I suspect the figures in the UK will be around 1 mil which is what most of the big sport events get on Sky ( 20% of the Sky Sport subscribers )

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
And I wouldn't even put Molinari - incredible season and thoroughly deserved winner of the Open - in the top ten in the world

Perhaps you wouldn't, but of course you'd be completely wrong as he is 6th in the world.

Tiger's finishing position is not a sign that he will or won't win a major again. No one knows. Does he have the ability? Absolutely. Does he have limitations due to his body now? Absolutely.

I hate when amateurs like us get hung up on using buzz phrases like someone "choked". No - they didn't - they just didn't play the best golf of the world class field of golfers on those four days. Do you really think Spieth or Tiger or Rory or whoever gets overly nervous out there, no matter who the opponent? Nah, nothing beyond the ordinary, it's their job and they tee it up against these people week in, week out for their entire professional careers.

Molinari played one of the most controlled rounds of golf you could ever hope to see on Sunday, backing up a bogeyless Saturday. Quite simply, he got the job down and deserved to win. This doesn't mean the rest played bad golf.

As for Tiger's coverage, let's suspend the notion that he's the greatest of all time for this argument because I don't need anyone to accept that to make this point - he is the greatest player for the modern era of golf with a chequered personal history and has potential to be the greatest comeback story in sporting history. If you REALLY can't get your head around why that sees him get so much air time, then you really don't understand modern golf and the impact Tiger had and still has on it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1418

Perhaps you wouldn't, but of course you'd be completely wrong as he is 6th in the world.

Yep on the back of 4 or 5 exceptional months. If he's still in the top 10 in a year's time then I'd be prepared to accept I'm wrong. But I've a feeling he won't be.

Of course just my opinion of course like everyone else's.

But I'm never wrong. I thought I was once but I was wrong! 😉😂

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Yep on the back of 4 or 5 exceptional months. If he's still in the top 10 in a year's time then I'd be prepared to accept I'm wrong. But I've a feeling he won't be.

But I'm never wrong. I thought I was once but I was wrong! ����

If you wait a few months and he isn't, then he isn't at that point but right now he is. Things change with time!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

But I'm never wrong. I thought I was once but I was wrong! 

Those of you who think you're never wrong, annoy those of us who are.

:confused:

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am sure Tiger will win a few more Majors...

.. even though those may be on the Senior Tour..

#InTheHole #BaBaBuYe #MashedPotato

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
On that tack, does anyone think he'll bother with the Seniors..?
He's several years away yet and there have to be doubts over his body's durability..

D

Deleted member 1418

If you wait a few months and he isn't, then he isn't at that point but right now he is. Things change with time!

Yes they do, but the really top players will be in and around the top 10-15 for a sustained period of time if they are playing regularly and not out for any injuries.

I would love for FM to be in this category, particularly with the Ryder Cup going to Italy in 4 years time - will be massive for golf over there if he's still in the top 10, winning multiple tournaments every season and contending in majors.

But I just personally don't think he will be that's all.

Playing more in America will obviously help with the ranking points on offer.

He's arguably the hottest player on the planet though at the moment given his form over the last few months.

Don't get too worked up about it Kell - not your fault that my view is the right one.....!!! 😉😂😂

D

Deleted member 1418

Those of you who think you're never wrong, annoy those of us who are.

:confused:

But that's why we need people like you Bob - to keep on reminding us superior beings why we are just that!!! 😉😂😂😂

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
On that tack, does anyone think he'll bother with the Seniors..?
He's several years away yet and there have to be doubts over his body's durability..
What else would he do? Settle down into family life? Talk rubbish on Sky Sports coverage? I'm not actually sure he has the charisma to be good at that, although they would still jump at the chance to have him there due to status obviously.

To begin with he'd probably be winning senior events with ease, I mean look at Langer.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Haha, Tiger does give to charity doesn't he? Are you suggesting he make it a full-time pursuit? Asking a bit much. :D

He has a foundation for disadvantaged kids, which I believe I heard had, had more kids go onto further education than any other foundation since it’s creation.

Of course hes he’s not a cuddly grandad yet, so that can’t possibly be right......

seriously, he could give it all away and donate his body to science after his death and it would still be “he’s not as good as ol Jack”......

Steve Bamford

Head Pro
www.golfbettingsystem.co.uk
For what it's worth

Rory was hit and miss but that eagle showed what is special about him.

Tiger still has an amazing aura about him, the buzz around Carnoustie when he took the lead was awesome. Love or hate him he draws a crowd and golf still has a place for him

Spieth, bottled it when it mattered, he's blown as many big chances as he's won. An amazing talent but for me lacks the ruthlessness of say Tiger. If he had that he could easily have won another couple of majors and possibly the career grand slam already. Frightening to think how good he is and how much better he could be. I believe he has the Fu game but lacks a bit mentally, still young though.

Frankie, a simply stunning display of weekend golf and a deserved champion

Agreat open and one of the best in recent years, probably even better than Royal Troon

100% agree. It was an excellent Major. Must say Spieth showing some traits of late which aren't good. However, based on his play in-recent PGA Tour outings, he played fantastically well to get as close as he did.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site