The Open 2018

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tendulkar has the most test centuries of all time though. So maybe he's the best?

Last one before I get my legs slapped for diverting a thread.

Tendulkar - 200 tests, 51 hundreds, avg 53.78

Bradman - 52 tests, 29 hundreds, avg 99.94

Tendulkar played nearly 4 x as many tests to get under twice as many hundreds. Then there is the average again............

The question in cricket is who is the 2nd best batsman to play the game. That is a cracking debate that is far more difficult than for golf. That is for another thread though (see what I did there mods :D)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last one before I get my legs slapped for diverting a thread.

Tendulkar - 200 tests, 51 hundreds, avg 53.78

Bradman - 52 tests, 29 hundreds, avg 99.94

Tendulkar played nearly 4 x as many tests to get under twice as many hundreds. Then there is the average again............

The question in cricket is who is the 2nd best batsman to play the game. That is a cracking debate that is far more difficult than for golf. That is for another thread though (see what I did there mods :D)
I really don't care - I actually hate cricket. :D

At least we can all definitely agree on one thing - that Federer is the best tennis player of all time.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I thought the question raised was around 'the greatest comeback ever', as opposed to 'the greatest ever'

Hence my +1 on Hogan. IMO a much more startling and impressive come-back than that of Tiger Woods.

Though Niki Lauda had an impressive come-back from a horrific near-death crash - though not quite up to that of Hogan IMO.

Last edited:

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lance Armstrong was still a pretty good comeback even though he cheated.

Whether he cheated or not is pretty irrelevant in that sport to be fair. What Armstrong managed to accomplish, especially post-cancer and whether juiced to the gills or not is incredibly impressive. He really doesn't get the credit he deserves for what he achieved.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That was my point - you don’t have to be made of Teflon to achieve greatness. “Bad” people can do great things too.

I believe Tiger will do the same.

D

Deleted member 16999

Whilst those for Woods will have studied his career in detail and not been swayed by the media & marketing hyperbole? :thup:
More about the age of the posters than anything else, personally believe it’s pointless argument and totally agree with the post that you can’t compare people from different time periods.

D

Deleted member 23270

I can't believe there hasn't been a mention for Eddie the eagle or Eric the eel :rofl: