The Open 2018

D

Deleted Member 1156

Personally speaking, it's because it was over 35 years before I was born. :rolleyes:

Indeed which is why people who are banging on about Woods being the greatest ever etc should check facts first. Greatest of his generation without any doubt but there was plenty of golf before he came along.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Indeed which is why people who are banging on about Woods being the greatest ever etc should check facts first. Greatest of his generation without any doubt but there was plenty of golf before he came along.

Absolutely :thup:

In the same way that there was actually football in England before Sky and the Premier League rewrote history

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If only Jack has won 25 majors...….

Cricket is the simplest one. Bradman, greatest batsman ever, no one else comes close. Throw a name out, throw an argument out, you are wasting your time. He is the one.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Cricket is the simplest one. Bradman, greatest batsman ever, no one else comes close. Throw a name out, throw an argument out, you are wasting your time. He is the one.
Same with football to be fair. Cristiano Ronaldo is unquestionably the best of all time so it doesn't warrant debating anymore. :whistle:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

Whilst of course your are most probably correct as the Dons stats are so far ahead of everyone else. I really believe you cannot compare players of different eras.

You cannot compare the relative strengths of bowling attacks you can only see how good batsmen are relative to those bowling attacks.

They used to play on uncovered tracks, but the scoring rate was considerably slower. Bowlers now have tapes of every batsman in the world and can analyse how weaknesses to try and exploit.

Would Bradman be the best batsman in the world if he played now, quite possibly but I would wager he wouldn't be averaging anywhere near 100.

For me the best cricketer and probably sportsman ever is Sir Garfield Sobers, World Class spinner, could bowl fast well enough to take the new ball for the star studded West Indies. Top class fielder in every position. Destructive and just quality batsman (6 sixes).

Played golf and had a handicap of 1 playing left handed, 8 playing right handed. Was also exceptionally talented at basketball and football too. I think had he wanted to he could have played professional level in any sport he wanted to

D

Deleted member 16999

But I wouldn’t be surprised if many of those against Woods know only snippets of history, very few will have read up or watched old films and their knowledge is based on no more than an opinion than fact.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
But I wouldn’t be surprised if many of those against Woods know only snippets of history, very few will have read up or watched old films and their knowledge is based on no more than an opinion than fact.

Whilst those for Woods will have studied his career in detail and not been swayed by the media & marketing hyperbole? :thup:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whilst of course your are most probably correct as the Dons stats are so far ahead of everyone else. I really believe you cannot compare players of different eras.

You cannot compare the relative strengths of bowling attacks you can only see how good batsmen are relative to those bowling attacks.

They used to play on uncovered tracks, but the scoring rate was considerably slower. Bowlers now have tapes of every batsman in the world and can analyse how weaknesses to try and exploit.

Would Bradman be the best batsman in the world if he played now, quite possibly but I would wager he wouldn't be averaging anywhere near 100.

For me the best cricketer and probably sportsman ever is Sir Garfield Sobers, World Class spinner, could bowl fast well enough to take the new ball for the star studded West Indies. Top class fielder in every position. Destructive and just quality batsman (6 sixes).

Played golf and had a handicap of 1 playing left handed, 8 playing right handed. Was also exceptionally talented at basketball and football too. I think had he wanted to he could have played professional level in any sport he wanted to

I do accept that comparing is always tricky but I chose The Don as his stats are so far ahead of everyone else that it is not open to dispute. He played on uncovered wickets, bats with 1 sweet spot, against bowlers who are highly regarded. His stats stand up to scrutiny.

Sobers was quite a sportsman, no question.

Lara. What an absolute destroyer.

Great destroyer but still nowhere near The Don. Lara test avg 52.88, Bradman, 99.94. Now that is a slam dunk.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do accept that comparing is always tricky but I chose The Don as his stats are so far ahead of everyone else that it is not open to dispute. He played on uncovered wickets, bats with 1 sweet spot, against bowlers who are highly regarded. His stats stand up to scrutiny.

Sobers was quite a sportsman, no question.

Great destroyer but still nowhere near The Don. Lara test avg 52.88, Bradman, 99.94. Now that is a slam dunk.
Tendulkar has the most test centuries of all time though. So maybe he's the best?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Tendulkar has the most test centuries of all time though. So maybe he's the best?

Far more game played now a days. Don't forget to play away tests Don would have had to travel by boat, from Australia usually to England. Didn't do it that often because of that.