The Open 2018

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
With all this superb weather we are having it will be very interesting to see how Carnoustie is set up for the Open in a couple of weeks time. I believe they are trying to keep the course watered but the weather is set fair for another 2 weeks so I think it will be running fast and firm.

I would love to see a set up like I remember as a kid when it was all yellow and only the greens were green. I think it means that shorter hitters and guys with a bit of imagination are in with a chance to win it.

Personally, I think Zach Johnson is in with a great shout.

What do you guys think?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Pro Golfers appear to hate firm courses. so i'd imagine the greens will not be rock hard, but we can hope. I'd like to see it like it was supposed to be played and windy;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Anyone know how the course is playing, I don't think the east coast courses are as dry as the West.

My tips are the 'soft hand' players

Aphibarnrat
Fleetwood
Rose

if anything its dryer on the east. Played Cabby's Parkland track Downfield over a month ago and that was like concrete, its not rained since

Captainron

Visit site
Pro Golfers appear to hate firm courses. so i'd imagine the greens will not be rock hard, but we can hope. I'd like to see it like it was supposed to be played and windy;)

Would love to see the greens firm too. Would see a return of more bump and runs from 100 yards and in, instead of spinning a lob wedge in like they do each week.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My links course right on the East coast is in amazing condition. Fairways are brown and the ball is running. Often into bunkers or rough.

Carnoustie should be a great test in these conditions. I don't think big hitters will be at a huge advantage as they will need to hit iron off the tee a lot of the time.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
one of the guys i played with yesterday was just back from Carnoustie. he said its was quite green and was being heavily watered

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Goosen and Tom Lewis qualified at Princes. Lewis has qualified for both opens this year, needs to find the same form in 'normal' events...

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Slightly off topic but my friend will have his apartment up for rent for next year's 2019 open.

It's next door to the royal Portrush with off street parking. Sleeps 6.

Not sure if anyone from the main land is planning a trip over or if anyone is interested just putting it out there.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Slightly off topic but my friend will have his apartment up for rent for next year's 2019 open.

It's next door to the royal Portrush with off street parking. Sleeps 6.

Not sure if anyone from the main land is planning a trip over or if anyone is interested just putting it out there.

Should be able to rent that (perhaps to a pro) for good money.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Speaking to a member of ours tonight who works down there, said they have been watering the fairways but won't be from now onwards, course is now closed to play til it begins.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
one of the guys i played with yesterday was just back from Carnoustie. he said its was quite green and was being heavily watered

Saw a clip on Scotland Tonight last night, it is indeed pretty green, they must have been hammering on the water cos every other links north of Dundee looks like a desert this year.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Frazzled courses don't make for a great tele visual experience...

Yep, they can turn up the green to disguise it but it just don't look right...
Augusta is a popular view, for the unconverted, because it's generally easy on the eye...

Captainron

Visit site
Got some bets on now

Oosthuizen
Na
Casey
Duffner
Kinder
Z Johnson

Can’t be going in on the big guns so smashing in at 40’s and above.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
80/1 with 10 places is my lump next week on Westwood.
Would have been on molinari but they value has gone on him due to his recent form.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Plenty of guys with a chance.

Agree about Fleetwood and Rose surely the most capable of the home players.

Would be surprised if Rory, Tiger, Phil were involved at the business end. Likewise John Ram, Day & Matsuyama.

Of the big American's - Reed and Spieth for me. Not a great DJ fan - but this could suit him. Plenty of his major 2nd places have come at firm and fast conditions. Justin Thomas has been very quiet since getting to no. 1 early in the season. Could feature, but don't fancy him.

Possibly Garcia has a chance as well. Russell Knox as well.

Would also like to see a bit of breeze and looks likely that we will have firm and fast conditions. Just hope the conditions are even for the whole field and we don't end up with one side of the draw being taken out of the event completely.