The Open 2018

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
There were a few people at the Scottish open with cameras on competition days.

Some with big long lenses that professionals would tend to have. Obviously no one was stopping them entering or using them.

Appreciate the Open may be a bit tighter security wise, but if you were keen to photograph some golfers you would be well advised to get to some of the smaller events. More room to get a vantage point and, like I said, less chance of getting any hassle from stewards.

Appreciate Tiger unlikely to be playing the Scottish open, Dunhill Links or British Masters.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
When at the Masters last year at Close House, there were dozens of people taking pics with their phones. I know cameras are allowed on practice and pro am days, but once the tournament starts for real, then I think it is only the professionals covering for the media that are allowed.

The rules around photographs are quite strict, I'm sure that at the British Masters last year, you could take photos for personal use, but you couldn't post them on social media or any kind, not sure what would've happened had you done so.

As long as you are not stupid about taking photos on a phone, I don't think anyone is going to mind. Would've been good to take my DLSR and 400mm lens in with me though.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
When at the Masters last year at Close House, there were dozens of people taking pics with their phones. I know cameras are allowed on practice and pro am days, but once the tournament starts for real, then I think it is only the professionals covering for the media that are allowed.

The rules around photographs are quite strict, I'm sure that at the British Masters last year, you could take photos for personal use, but you couldn't post them on social media or any kind, not sure what would've happened had you done so.

As long as you are not stupid about taking photos on a phone, I don't think anyone is going to mind. Would've been good to take my DLSR and 400mm lens in with me though.

Trust me you do not want to carry my 400mm f2.8 and 1dx on your shoulder through the rough - weekend will be that along with another 1dx and 70-200 f2.8 plus a wide angle and a laptop - I was knackered after walking ten miles yesterday carrying just the 1dx with 400 - snapping football's much easier work than golf physically - but golf is beautiful to photograph.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been out there today and conditions are looking quite mixed. I'm not sure about it to be honest, the fairways look bone dry and the greens look incredibly lush. I've never seen anything like it but I am only in my early forties so what do I know. :)

Here's an iPhone pic from the grandstand behind the 16th green and this is the "wet" end of the course.

IMG_5152.jpg

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Been out there today and conditions are looking quite mixed. I'm not sure about it to be honest, the fairways look bone dry and the greens look incredibly lush. I've never seen anything like it but I am only in my early forties so what do I know. :)

Here's an iPhone pic from the grandstand behind the 16th green and this is the "wet" end of the course.

IMG_5152.jpg

Fairways looking beautiful and nice blonde rough

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
According to this rain is due tonight, tomorrow and also Friday.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/carnoustie/dd7-7/daily-weather-forecast/326713
So might not be that dry after all.

The rain that's forecast here is of little significance, it's due late Thursday night to Friday nmorning but will have little effect on playing conditions.

I think they will rip it apart looking at Jim's pic of those greens and running fairways, keep it straight and the winner could be 15 under.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The rain that's forecast here is of little significance, it's due late Thursday night to Friday nmorning but will have little effect on playing conditions.

I think they will rip it apart looking at Jim's pic of those greens and running fairways, keep it straight and the winner could be 15 under.

lets hope there is a bit of wind then

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
its open season! boom

bets placed

Tommy Fleetwood £1 EW at 22/1
Justin Rose £1 EW at 16/1
Jordan Spieth £1 EW at 20/1
Tiger Woods £1 EW at 25/1
Tony Finau £1 EW at 90/1

Bet 365 paying up to 8 places (I only seem to use bet 365.. could prob do better with paddy power lol)

will make it even more interesting to watch!

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I quite fancy Noren, Sergio and leishmann, but all have late/early tee times and it looks like that might be slightly the worse side of the draw...
Decisions, decisions...

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Decided to go through to this on Friday. Cannot wait. Planning to get up at 4am and get on the course about 7 and hopefully follow one of the early groups through the front 9.

Carnoustie has provided some of the most exciting golf finishes ever. The final day of the 2007 Open - I remember watching every minute of coverage from 0930 until Padraig collected the jug. Probably the day I would say I became a proper golf fan and started watching a lot more tournaments and being more interested in the courses and players.

I do remember Lawrie's victory - but wasn't as big into golf then. Watched the Chronicles of a Champion Golfer on Sky Sports last night. Fantastic story - very well told and credit to van de Velde for doing the programme and re-living that moment again. Arguably he is more famous for the 72nd hold collapse than he would be if he'd won. He is actually still very proud of his achievement and being tied 1st for the Open after 72 holes.

Backed 3 Englishmen - won't say who, but if you got 5 guesses you'd probably get them.