Golf Ball Set Question

Jo_golf

Visit site
Hey guys, I'm new here. My son and I are just getting into golfing. I bought him a used set today and the golf ball set pictured below was given with it. We looked them up to find out more about the set and it seems to be rare but I can't seem to find much info about it exept they were made for Tiger Woods. Does anyone know about them or how I would go about getting it appraised? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• golf balls.jpg
    golf balls.jpg
    805.5 KB · Views: 36

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nike balls were made by a company called RZN who now make the same ball under their own name.

Nothing specail about that box unless you find a Tiger Woods 'nut'

PS if you are just getting in to golf save them for when you are better at it. They are a premium 3 piece ball similar to the Prov1 in their day. Do not use them in a comp as they may no longer conform to the rules of equipment
(they probably have a cover or a mantle layer which is not bonded to the inner core)

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nike balls were made by a company called RZN who now make the same ball under their own name.

PS if you are just getting in to golf save them for when you are better at it. They are a premium 3 piece ball similar to the Prov1 in their day. Do not use them in a comp as they may no longer conform to the rules of equipment
(they probably have a cover or a mantle layer which is not bonded to the inner core)
Honestly?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

BIB - I have never been aware that there is such a thing as a non-conforming ball (other than the old small ball). How do I know if a ball i pick up (that is clearly not a current or very recent ball) is non-conforming?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So…80 pages of conforming balls that I can’t be bothered looking through. I guess an easier question is whether any of the major ball manufacturers have published a list of their balls that are no longer confirming.

Would a responsible brand not do such a thing. Bit like a car manufacturer putting out a list of recalls that I can check for when buying a car to check when buying a used car.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
It would appear that if you find the ball on the list, all is well.
If it is not on the list then there are differing possibilities,

1. It is conforming but not on the list.
2. It is conforming, not on the list, but your committee allows only balls on the list for competition play.
3. It is not on the list and is non-conforming.

It is that third category that is difficult to ascertain, I feel.

If a ball is not on the list, how does one find out, with certainty, whether or not it is a conforming ball?

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
BIB - I have never been aware that there is such a thing as a non-conforming ball (other than the old small ball). How do I know if a ball i pick up (that is clearly not a current or very recent ball) is non-conforming?

It was only by chance that I stumbled upon the change in the rules

Golf Ball Construction ..... In addition, the design of the golf ball may not include parts or components that move with respect to each other ....

I have no advice or knowledge of how to check a ball conforms to this rule but can think of a few balls that I have used in the past that would no longer conform eg Topflite Strata.

One of the big things that has made some balls non conforming is that they exceed the distance limitations requirement e.g The Condor ball. It could well be why we very quickly see 'new improved version'.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One aspect of the conforming list is that the a ball may only be on that years list

The List of Conforming Golf Balls​

Balls remain on the List for one year. Random tests are carried out by The R&A and USGA on selected balls to ensure that the ball characteristics remain the same. If a conformance issue is identified during random testing, the ball may be removed from the list.