tracking Red golf balls flight

hughwp

Visit site
Anybody here use red golf ball and find their flight hard to track once the fall below the horizon against the green fairway and green? I can see the direction but never see the bounce or how far they have goon and can only spot them on the green from about 100yds BTW have near 20/20 vision and not aware of colour blindness.

Is it because red and green have the same tone in monochrome?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Red is an awful colour to track, unless you have a colour blind issue

Try Bright luminous yellow, works for me and you can see the balls against a green background

But still no good if they are 30 yards into the bundoo

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Many years ago I tried low compression balls in winter. AG had an offer of a doz pink Srixon soft feel for £5 inc delivery. The first ball only made it as far as the 4 green before being consigned to the bag. It and the other 11 were donated to a lady friend.

Not only very hard to spot in the air but also very difficult to spot in the longer grass.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Many years ago I tried low compression balls in winter. AG had an offer of a doz pink Srixon soft feel for £5 inc delivery. The first ball only made it as far as the 4 green before being consigned to the bag. It and the other 11 were donated to a lady friend.

Not only very hard to spot in the air but also very difficult to spot in the longer grass.
I am very very colour blind. If a playing partner uses one I tell them they are on their own looking for it. Orange is a similar situation.

Blue and pink I can see pretty well.

RichA

Visit site
I'm not colour blind. Just did an online test to be absolutely sure.
I sometimes struggle to see red golf balls when they're 10 yards away from me and pink tees when they're 10 inches from my feet.
White is best for me because, I think, my brain is conditioned to look for a white golf ball.
I now only use a coloured ball in heavy frost or light snow.
Anybody else look for a ball in the rough then have to start again when you remember you're using a coloured ball rather than a white one and you think you just didn't see it because you weren't actively looking for the specific colour?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anybody here use red golf ball and find their flight hard to track once the fall below the horizon against the green fairway and green? I can see the direction but never see the bounce or how far they have goon and can only spot them on the green from about 100yds BTW have near 20/20 vision and not aware of colour blindness.

Is it because red and green have the same tone in monochrome?
What do you see here?

1701471318912.png

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I just couldn't pick-up the flight when I was playing with someone who as using one of the Volvic red balls.

The half and half balls weren't a lot better - good on the greens though!

Skytot

Visit site
I tell my mate numerous times don’t play an orange ball I can’t see it ..
snooker is the worst

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The dismembered body of the last person to hold something up and ask me what colour it is just after they have found out I’m colour blind 🤣
I see a dolphin flipping me a flipper......

I struggle with anything other than a white ball in most conditions..but the matt red, blue, green, yellow ones are the worst..

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I am very very colour blind. If a playing partner uses one I tell them they are on their own looking for it. Orange is a similar situation.

Blue and pink I can see pretty well.
My motorcycle instructor advised us that blue and pink are the best colours for high vis gear, followed by white.

I play a red winter ball, but I am also a short hitter so it doesn’t make much difference.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I usually find that orange balls are easier to track mid flight in the low winter sun sky, and so playing in the frost yesterday I decided to use one. Swapped to white after a few holes, as I was seeing my PPs white balls quicker than I was seeing my own, and also missed it a couple of times due to the leaves being yellowy brown. As it wasn’t sunny at all there was no advantage using orange yesterday, but will probably use it again over the winter, especially when the leaves have buggered off!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
One of the worst to spot in the rough, I've found, is the TM Tour Resonse with the thick green stripe....
Great ball - easy to lose..

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the worst to spot in the rough, I've found, is the TM Tour Resonse with the thick green stripe....
Great ball - easy to lose..

I have found a couple because the green stripe was upper most when the ball was in the long grass.

D

Deleted member 1147

Don’t they paint Spitfires used for aerial reconnaissance pink?
Perhaps there is something about the sky that has a pink hue.