The Open 2018

D

Deleted member 16999

Might just be me but I don't even care about what he's got up to off the course. He is human and fallible like the rest of us and we all make mistakes. He had all the money, and anything he wanted available to him, and he made some poor decisions - I'm sure he regrets some of them, and others he probably doesn't if he's being honest! But it really doesn't bother me.

For all we know plenty of other popular golfers may have made similar mistakes in their lives, but without even 10% of the scrutiny and attention that Tiger gets, we may never know.
It bothers me when they put these superstars up as role models for kids to look up to or aspire to be, Rooney/Beckham/Woods etc.

D

Deleted member 16999

I guess I feel that parenting should override that somewhat? Easy for me to say when I don't have any kids yet though.
It does, but these people are used for advertising etc, you can’t avoid it 24/7

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It might stop her if she felt that many blokes were accepting and almost dismissive of his demeanours - she would not want to associate with such men if they were to be eulogising about Woods and how great he is. In her eyes he is very, very far from a great person. She has seen too many friends very sorely hurt by their husbands or partners acting the way that Tiger did. Look - don't argue with me - argue with my wife if you think she is wrong or misguided.

Has to be balanced though in that many blokes moral compass about infidelity wont operate as it would if it was the bloke next door and they give him a lift to work everyday
They may not apply their normal moral rules because whatever moral they have about it makes no difference to the player, the tour, their own club etc etc so why bother being morally outraged or supportive in a matter that has nothing to do with them and that their opinion has no bearing on

So if/when they are eulogising about what a great player he was/is, that's perhaps all they're doing, they're just passing comment on a topic, not judging his existence to date each time his name comes up

D

Deleted member 15344

Watched the highlights last night and it’s amazing how quickly a couple of players collapsed

Spieth was all over the place , driving , iron shots and even putting - you could see at one point he wasn’t going to do it

Then when Woods took the lead after others where dropping shots all his issues over the last 6 months happened - poor drives , wild irons then missed short putts - he just couldn’t recover

Then Kisner and Chappell were all over the place

The player that was impressive was Schuaffle - even when he dropped a load of shots he then managed to compose himself to get them back to challenge again also his interaction with the kid on 17th was superb

But Molinaris final round was Faldo esq - no thrills , straight and boring but perfect for the conditions

Out of the players that were around the Top 10

Can see

Rory , Rose , Molinari and Schuaffle are going to challenge very soon for a major and reckon one of them will win one of the next two

Spieth I think will win again but after a couple years - something isn’t right with him

Kisner , Chappel I don’t think will ever win one

And the elephant in the room Woods - still don’t see him winning a major or maybe even a tour event - that was a great chance for him and he just couldn’t take it same with a few other events this year so far.

D

Deleted member 16999

Has to be balanced though in that many blokes moral compass about infidelity wont operate as it would if it was the bloke next door and they give him a lift to work everyday
They may not apply their normal moral rules because whatever moral they have about it makes no difference to the player, the tour, their own club etc etc so why bother being morally outraged or supportive in a matter that has nothing to do with them and that their opinion has no bearing on

So if/when they are eulogising about what a great player he was/is, that's perhaps all they're doing, they're just passing comment on a topic, not judging his existence to date each time his name comes up
Great post.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I may have misunderstood Hogan, but my take on it was that it wasn't her dislike of Tiger himself that could potentially stop her, but the attitude of the men who play golf who don't care about it because he is a great golfer.

If they are so easy to forgive someone with multiple affairs it may something about their character.

Not my opinion but that's what struck me about what Hogan was saying.

By the by my wife also dislikes Tiger for the same reason, but continues to play, but she doesn't have much interest in the pro game anyway

I think you are right. I meant to say pretty much that but it didn't come out quite right.

Back to the golf, LP every so often they cut to pictures of the flags and it looked like the wind was a little feisty at times. That course had a small margin for error so add in the wind and pressure then no wonder some fell away. I think we need to applaud those at the top rather than the few Americans who tailed away. They didn't throw it away, they were just not quite on the ball yesterday and they needed to be. Big difference imo

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yesterdays golf was riveting viewing, loved every second and FM's scrambling and putting was a joy to behold. I can't help thinking that this was one that slipped away for Rory. He seemed to missed so many putts over the 4 days in 4-10 feet range, far more than any of the other major contenders.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Just saying - my Mrs knows he is a great player but thinks that as an individual he is a dreadful role model...and that if she felt that golfers were OK with his personal behaviour then that would reflect very badly on golf and golfers. Just saying.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just saying - my Mrs knows he is a great player but thinks that as an individual he is a dreadful role model...and that if she felt that golfers were OK with his personal behaviour then that would reflect very badly on golf and golfers. Just saying.

I know I get it. I just think she may be judging your average Joe Threeputt rather harshly when she bemoans them for what she 'feels' rather than what she knows, we're really not that complicated ;)

Clearly Mr SiLH you have set a very high bar with your good lady that many of us don't need to limbo too much to slide under :D

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yesterdays golf was riveting viewing, loved every second and FM's scrambling and putting was a joy to behold. I can't help thinking that this was one that slipped away for Rory. He seemed to missed so many putts over the 4 days in 4-10 feet range, far more than any of the other major contenders.
Doesn't he always?

D

Deleted member 16999

But if she can seperate the two, why would she think other golfers couldn’t? :confused:
It would be wrong to condemn or judge someone based on a few words on a golf forum. (Obviously opinions may become clearer if it was a discussion about him in the out of bounds area)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think you are right. I meant to say pretty much that but it didn't come out quite right.

Back to the golf, LP every so often they cut to pictures of the flags and it looked like the wind was a little feisty at times. That course had a small margin for error so add in the wind and pressure then no wonder some fell away. I think we need to applaud those at the top rather than the few Americans who tailed away. They didn't throw it away, they were just not quite on the ball yesterday and they needed to be. Big difference imo

She can't abide Woods - he is disgusting apparently - and I'm thinking that she could get put off joining a club if she felt she had to play with - or be in the company of - men who were OK with his personal behaviour or were happy to overlook it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
But if she can seperate the two, why would she think other golfers couldn’t? :confused:
It would be wrong to condemn or judge someone based on a few words on a golf forum. (Obviously opinions may become clearer if it was a discussion about him in the out of bounds area)

She doesn't - she has only heard of Woods' misdemeanours - and her impression and understanding is that he used his status to get whatever he wanted with women and felt that he could so treat his wife. There seem to be plenty of men around who have the same attitude - we know a few ourselves. She knows the devastating effect behaviour such as Woods' has on the wife or partner.

Anyway - the point of this here is that - no matter what we might think of Woods from a golfing perspective there is another view that impacts his being a role model - someone to be looked up to - someone to hero-worship or fawn over and to laud as being important to the game in attracting new players. Not all non-golfers with an interest in the game think that way.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
She can't abide Woods - he is disgusting apparently - and I'm thinking that she could get put off joining a club if she felt she had to play with - or be in the company of - men who were OK with his personal behaviour or were happy to overlook it.

That's worse then, so men cant really win unless we proactively voice our outrage

I have opinions or many things unrelated to golf than my PP's don't know about me, they might think I overlook these things or they might just understand it has nothing to do with golf

If I spent my time at the club being morally outraged at things that have nothing to do with me I wouldn't get much golf in

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Watched the highlights last night and it’s amazing how quickly a couple of players collapsed

Spieth was all over the place , driving , iron shots and even putting - you could see at one point he wasn’t going to do it

Then when Woods took the lead after others where dropping shots all his issues over the last 6 months happened - poor drives , wild irons then missed short putts - he just couldn’t recover

Then Kisner and Chappell were all over the place

The player that was impressive was Schuaffle - even when he dropped a load of shots he then managed to compose himself to get them back to challenge again also his interaction with the kid on 17th was superb

But Molinaris final round was Faldo esq - no thrills , straight and boring but perfect for the conditions

Out of the players that were around the Top 10

Can see

Rory , Rose , Molinari and Schuaffle are going to challenge very soon for a major and reckon one of them will win one of the next two

Spieth I think will win again but after a couple years - something isn’t right with him

Kisner , Chappel I don’t think will ever win one

And the elephant in the room Woods - still don’t see him winning a major or maybe even a tour event - that was a great chance for him and he just couldn’t take it same with a few other events this year so far.

Didn't you say this yesterday?
And on FB.
Change the record.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site

Definition of "Elephant in the Room": an obvious problem or difficult situation that people do not want to talk about.......

No one has said he only got there by others not playing well ?!

Suggest you read the actual post as opposed to a post that thinks something was said that wasn’t

The point I made was today no one was grabbing it - all the current big players weren’t there to take the chance - most of the Worlds Top Ten either missed of the cut or were faltering so it was a great chance for Woods to really go and grab the major - he got the lead and years back he would have just romped away - but he faltered and his poor play over 2/3 holes cost him at the end of the day.

Woods did well - he had one really great round and three rounds of Par , he had his best chance to win a major in a decade and his swing let him down

Unless I have missed something no one is moaning and bitching about him - just people giving an opinion on how he played today

Woods has been back for a number of months now and has had chances to get a win but it seems he can’t get the game over the line for the win - he had issues off the tee , long irons and missed a lot of putts -

I think that was his big chance -most of the big guns tripping over themselves and no real dominant performance from a big player and it was there for him but two really poor irons shots and then the attempt at a flop shot just knocked him and he couldn’t seem to recover from it - not sure if he will get a chance like that again , played some brilliant shots though - that bunker shot was just outstanding