The Open 2018

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great viewing today, loving the drama and setup. Worthy winner in FM showing great composure under pressure. Bizarre golf from Spieth, especially club choice. Woods took another stride forward, making a mockery of those who thought he was finished.

Main thing though from watching that today is that I’m desperate to play the course while it’s like that :fore:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Totally agree with you here, some people just don't like tiger and can't help try and put him down. The guy is a class act on a golf course and in my opinion played golf at a level nobody will see again, 681 weeks number 1 in the world says it all. He made a bad swing on 11 and it cost him off the tee, no doubt in my mind he will win at least 1 more major, might not get to 18 but his day will come again. If you don't like him fine but don't put him down and degrade his golf by saying he only got there by others not playing well, childish and bitter in my opinion.

There is the wee problem of his personal back catalogue.

My Mrs watched the last hour and half - she enjoys watching a bit of 'major' golf and is thinking of having some lessons in retirement (that's after next week...:) ). She didn't know many of the players - but she knows Tiger - and her view when I told her he was in contention? Well I hope he doesn't win - I can't stand the guy - the way he acted the Mr big guy and what he did to his wife and family - disgusting person.

Well that's one potential lady golfer's view of Tiger from a very female perspective - and I think us guys tend to forget what he actually did.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
This time last year, Tiger was literally a cripple at just over 1000th in the world rankings.
The OAP is 42 with a fused back and fought his way all the way to 50th in the world in the space of 6-7 months. His goal was obviously to win a major or two but importantly get into the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational as it will be the last time played at the Firestone Country Club. A place that holds dear to his heart, not to mention many victories there. ;)

Massive fan or not, how anyone can still bitch and moan about the man and not be impressed with what he's achieved in such a short period of time puzzles me. :confused:

Obviously not TRUE GOLF fans.....:whistle:

Well - ask my Mrs and she'll tell you...and she likes a bit of golf. Tiger is a complete turn-off for her.

D

Deleted member 16999

My Mrs watched the last hour and half - she enjoys watching a bit of 'major' golf and is thinking of having some lessons in retirement (that's after next week...:) ). She didn't know many of the players - but she knows Tiger - and her view when I told her he was in contention? Well I hope he doesn't win - I can't stand the guy - the way he acted the Mr big guy and what he did to his wife and family - disgusting person.

Well that's one potential lady golfer's view of Tiger from a very female perspective - and I think us guys tend to forget what he actually did.
Did she comment on his Golfing ability at all?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Or maybe we judge a sportsperson on his sporting ability.......

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Does she know Rory blew out Wozniaki after the wedding invitations went out?

It is all about the golf. Alledgedly.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does she know Rory blew out Wozniaki after the wedding invitations went out?

It is all about the golf. Alledgedly.

True, but better than marrying her and then cheating on her with every waitress between Florida and California.

In terms of Tiger non golfers, particularly women, do care about his not so private life. That may not matter to us golf lovers but it tarnishes him for ever more. You may not like that but it is the reality of the situation.

Anyway, back to golf, a U.S.heavy leader board thankfully became more European by the end. It's going to be close come September though.

D

Deleted member 16999

True, but better than marrying her and then cheating on her with every waitress between Florida and California.

In terms of Tiger non golfers, particularly women, do care about his not so private life. That may not matter to us golf lovers but it tarnishes him for ever more. You may not like that but it is the reality of the situation.

Anyway, back to golf, a U.S.heavy leader board thankfully became more European by the end. It's going to be close come September though.
But don’t forget we are fed by a media that love a scandal, do any of us actually know the truth or all the facts.

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Its not tarnished him one bit, hence the massive crowds that follow him and the millions that tune in to watch him.
Tom Watson seems to have survived the storm and it seems everyone thinks he's a decent bloke.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But don’t forget we are fed by a media that love a scandal, do any of us actually know the truth or all the facts.

To be fair, enough came out that suggests he really did put it about. I've followed enough sport over the years to be easily able to separate private and sporting life so what he did doesn't impact on me. Can you imagine if we stopped liking footballers because we analysed and disapproved of their off field behaviour? Holy smoke 😱

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
To be fair, enough came out that suggests he really did put it about. I've followed enough sport over the years to be easily able to separate private and sporting life so what he did doesn't impact on me. Can you imagine if we stopped liking footballers because we analysed and disapproved of their off field behaviour? Holy smoke 😱

Now this is worth quoting......:thup:

Haters take note.....:rofl:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its not tarnished him one bit, hence the massive crowds that follow him and the millions that tune in to watch him.
Tom Watson seems to have survived the storm and it seems everyone thinks he's a decent bloke.

His sponsors dropped him like a stone, apart from Nike obviously. He was squeaky clean and then suddenly not so. He was tarnished and still is to non golfers.

Those following him on the golf course are like you and I, we care about golf, not what players do away from the golf course.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Speak for yourself

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
To be fair, enough came out that suggests he really did put it about. I've followed enough sport over the years to be easily able to separate private and sporting life so what he did doesn't impact on me. Can you imagine if we stopped liking footballers because we analysed and disapproved of their off field behaviour? Holy smoke 

Many on here already do.

As regards Tiger, I can take or leave him; don't warm to him because of his off course antics but that doesn't prevent me giving credit where it's due. My issue is more with Sky.

There was a golf tournament going on; The Open, the most important, in my opinion, of the majors. I would like to have seen a bit more of the Open, and a bit less of Tiger. We cut away from the tournament to see Woods practicing, Woods getting into a car, Woods getting out of a car, Woods signing autographs, Woods giving autograph hunters the brush off, you name it we moved away from watching the tournament to watch Tiger not actively participating. It wouldn't have surprised me if his diet and bowel movements weren't discussed at some point. It was, frankly, ridiculous, but it isn't his fault; it is Sky's fault.

If there is such a huge demand to know the in's & outs of Tiger's life, and apparently it's essential for the survival of golf as we know it, then the answer's simple; put Tiger on the Tiger channel, and the Open on the golf channel and give us the choice to watch whichever we prefer.

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
His sponsors dropped him like a stone, apart from Nike obviously. He was squeaky clean and then suddenly not so. He was tarnished and still is to non golfers.

Those following him on the golf course are like you and I, we care about golf, not what players do away from the golf course.

Not according to some people they're not...;)

Of course some sponsors dropped him but he also gained others.

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Superb by Molinari. A great performance whilst those all around were faltering and thoroughly deserved, holing some great clutch putts under pressure.
Brilliant showing from the young Schauffle and one to watch for the future.

The Tiger debate-dont care about his off course stuff, thats all old news and something that has been discussed time and time again on here. Lets focus on his golf and its great to see him back fit and in contention.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Cracking Championship & great TV with too many plus points to list

On the negatives; the blazers should be the worst thing but in 1st place is the guy that shouted on Tiger's downswing
(obviously applies to any players downswing)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very pleased for Molinari.
Shame Rory or Rose couldn’t quite make it, but very happy it’s not another American walk away.

As for Tiger, yes the outburst on his downswing on the 18th was very poor, but I suspect an idiot copying the US idiots who shout. I was glad he fell away, having got fed up with the Tiger coverage concentration to the detriment of the rest of the field.

As for those attending, I don’t remember seeing quite as many empty seats in the stands at an Open on the last day as this one. Is this the sign of the times, or just a result of location access and prices?