The Open 2018

Whydowedoit

Hacker
Visit site
A really good quality Open. In fact the last three have been top quality. Worthy winner in Francesco, really pleased to see a European winner win a tough Open. So many quality players in contention. Wish I'd gone up there. Remember watching quite a few players closely at the Wentworth PGA three years ago. Of them, Danny Willett won the Masters, Brooks Koepka won two US Opens, Francesco Molinari is Open Champion, & Tommy Fleetwood is European No1, not a bad return! This win can only be even better for European Golf. Such a shame this could only be seen on Sky. Really need to change that.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that was his big chance -most of the big guns tripping over themselves and no real dominant performance from a big player and it was there for him but two really poor irons shots and then the attempt at a flop shot just knocked him and he couldn’t seem to recover from it - not sure if he will get a chance like that again , played some brilliant shots though - that bunker shot was just outstanding

So Tigers big chance was because the big guns gave him a chance,behave yourself.

He had a great chance because he played well to get himself in contention,yes he had a chance to win but blew it himself,others faltered but I'm sure that was pressure.
Your boy lost it mentally very early in the round but got lifted by a lucky eagle.
From a guy who said he will never win on the tour against,wouldn't come in the top 10 in a PGA event and wouldn't contend in a major again,I think he's proved you wrong
Great drama
Well done Francesco.

D

Deleted member 16999

Happy days, nice ton return from £2.50 e/w, cheers Franco :whoo:

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Great to see Eddie Pepperell do well. Local to me so always good to see. Like the fact he said he was hungover too! 😂😂

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
So Tigers big chance was because the big guns gave him a chance,behave yourself.

He had a great chance because he played well to get himself in contention,yes he had a chance to win but blew it himself,others faltered but I'm sure that was pressure.
Your boy lost it mentally very early in the round but got lifted by a lucky eagle.
From a guy who said he will never win on the tour against,wouldn't come in the top 10 in a PGA event and wouldn't contend in a major again,I think he's proved you wrong
Great drama
Well done Francesco.

Totally agree with you here, some people just don't like tiger and can't help try and put him down. The guy is a class act on a golf course and in my opinion played golf at a level nobody will see again, 681 weeks number 1 in the world says it all. He made a bad swing on 11 and it cost him off the tee, no doubt in my mind he will win at least 1 more major, might not get to 18 but his day will come again. If you don't like him fine but don't put him down and degrade his golf by saying he only got there by others not playing well, childish and bitter in my opinion.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Totally agree with you here, some people just don't like tiger and can't help try and put him down. The guy is a class act on a golf course and in my opinion played golf at a level nobody will see again, 681 weeks number 1 in the world says it all. He made a bad swing on 11 and it cost him off the tee, no doubt in my mind he will win at least 1 more major, might not get to 18 but his day will come again. If you don't like him fine but don't put him down and degrade his golf by saying he only got there by others not playing well, childish and bitter in my opinion.

Spot on.

Great win for Francesco, a very worthy winner and seems a class act.

D

Deleted member 15344

No one has said he only got there by others not playing well ?!

Suggest you read the actual post as opposed to a post that thinks something was said that wasn’t

The point I made was today no one was grabbing it - all the current big players weren’t there to take the chance - most of the Worlds Top Ten either missed of the cut or were faltering so it was a great chance for Woods to really go and grab the major - he got the lead and years back he would have just romped away - but he faltered and his poor play over 2/3 holes cost him at the end of the day.

Woods did well - he had one really great round and three rounds of Par , he had his best chance to win a major in a decade and his swing let him down

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site

Suggest you read the actual post as opposed to a post that thinks something was said that wasn’t

The point I made was today no one was grabbing it - all the current big players weren’t there to take the chance - most of the Worlds Top Ten either missed of the cut or were faltering so it was a great chance for Woods to really go and grab the major - he got the lead and years back he would have just romped away - but he faltered and his poor play over 2/3 holes cost him at the end of the day.

Woods did well - he had one really great round and three rounds of Par , he had his best chance to win a major in a decade and his swing let him down

Maybe so

But He Is Back :)

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Same for Rory 👍🏻

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This time last year, Tiger was literally a cripple at just over 1000th in the world rankings.
The OAP is 42 with a fused back and fought his way all the way to 50th in the world in the space of 6-7 months. His goal was obviously to win a major or two but importantly get into the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational as it will be the last time played at the Firestone Country Club. A place that holds dear to his heart, not to mention many victories there. ;)

Massive fan or not, how anyone can still bitch and moan about the man and not be impressed with what he's achieved in such a short period of time puzzles me. :confused:

Obviously not TRUE GOLF fans.....:whistle:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Fantastic championship.

Absolutely perfect set up from the R&A. To have the best players in the world finish no better than -8 over 4 days in reasonably decent weather is just immense. Very glad we got a bit of wind today, which I think helped to aid the drama.

Also puts the USGA to shame with their complete failure to set up a US Open correctly.

Really chuffed for Francesco Molinari - a quiet guy who goes about his business with professionalism and class. Perhaps he has taken the next step in the past month or so, and is now a true world player.

Jordan Spieth was the big dud of the day. No birdies and a pile of dropped shots. Didn't hole anything all day and in the end wasn't even in the mix with a few to play. In all honesty, he is not playing well enough off the tee and in previous years, his short game bailed him out. It used to be that he could get up & down from anywhere. It seems putting in particular has regressed to 'in the pack' and the long game is simply not good enough at that level.

I guess slightly unfair to be too critical of him given the likes of Dustin Johnson, Justin Thomas and John Rahm didn't make the cut.

Of course, Tiger got things going. But lets not get carried away. Like many other tournaments this season, he has done well but there's still a few guys ahead of him. Every chance I will be proved wrong, but Tiger over a season is now a top 25 player. Good, but no longer great. If he stays fit he will have chances to win majors - probably Masters or Open Championships.

Perhaps he will never get a better chance to get to 15 majors than he had today, but no doubt the Tiger fans and much of the media will massively over hype today in terms of the Tiger factor.

Not hating on Tiger, just being realistic about his current level and his position in the game. There's a load of guys better than him, albeit coming back from so far down is probably not something many other guys would have been able to do.

D

Deleted member 15344

This time last year, Tiger was literally a cripple at just over 1000th in the world rankings.
The OAP is 42 with a fused back and fought his way all the way to 50th in the world in the space of 6-7 months. His goal was obviously to win a major or two but importantly get into the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational as it will be the last time played at the Firestone Country Club. A place that holds dear to his heart, not to mention many victories there. ;)

Massive fan or not, how anyone can still bitch and moan about the man and not be impressed with what he's achieved in such a short period of time puzzles me. :confused:

Obviously not TRUE GOLF fans.....:whistle:

Unless I have missed something no one is moaning and bitching about him - just people giving an opinion on how he played today

Woods has been back for a number of months now and has had chances to get a win but it seems he can’t get the game over the line for the win - he had issues off the tee , long irons and missed a lot of putts -

He had 3 rounds of par and one round of 5 under so was the 5 under round the one off ?

Fantastic championship.

Absolutely perfect set up from the R&A. To have the best players in the world finish no better than -8 over 4 days in reasonably decent weather is just immense. Very glad we got a bit of wind today, which I think helped to aid the drama.

Also puts the USGA to shame with their complete failure to set up a US Open correctly.

Really chuffed for Francesco Molinari - a quiet guy who goes about his business with professionalism and class. Perhaps he has taken the next step in the past month or so, and is now a true world player.

Jordan Spieth was the big dud of the day. No birdies and a pile of dropped shots. Didn't hole anything all day and in the end wasn't even in the mix with a few to play. In all honesty, he is not playing well enough off the tee and in previous years, his short game bailed him out. It used to be that he could get up & down from anywhere. It seems putting in particular has regressed to 'in the pack' and the long game is simply not good enough at that level.

I guess slightly unfair to be too critical of him given the likes of Dustin Johnson, Justin Thomas and John Rahm didn't make the cut.

Of course, Tiger got things going. But lets not get carried away. Like many other tournaments this season, he has done well but there's still a few guys ahead of him. Every chance I will be proved wrong, but Tiger over a season is now a top 25 player. Good, but no longer great. If he stays fit he will have chances to win majors - probably Masters or Open Championships.

Perhaps he will never get a better chance to get to 15 majors than he had today, but no doubt the Tiger fans and much of the media will massively over hype today in terms of the Tiger factor.

Not hating on Tiger, just being realistic about his current level and his position in the game. There's a load of guys better than him, albeit coming back from so far down is probably not something many other guys would have been able to do.

Excellent post allround :thup: cannot disagree with a single thing