The great drive for dough putt for show debate thread.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Here’s an interesting thought/experiment.
Last year on PGA tour from what I can find Taylor Montgomery was leading putter when it came to putts per round at 27, average across the tour was 32 (this is only from a quick google search)
I would if you played 2 balls, one your own ball from the tee, but all you have to do it get the ball on the green 18 times and add 27 to your score.
With the 2nd ball, move it forward 20 yards on each hole after your tee shot but play the ball out from that point.

Which ball would score best?
Would the result be different if you used your average of 32 putts?
How would scoring on par 4 and 5 differ from par 3?

Not really a fair experiment taking the absolute best in putting but only adding 20 to your drives. More likely, add 80-100 to your drives and moving them onto a better line.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Putts per round is virtually useless as a measure of putting. Strokes gained putting is the useful measure.

(eg. Player misses all greens by a few feet. Chips and putts 17 times and holes one chip. 17 putts in the round. Does that mean they are a great putter ?)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Putts per round is virtually useless as a measure of putting. Strokes gained putting is the useful measure.

(eg. Player misses all greens by a few feet. Chips and putts 17 times and holes one chip. 17 putts in the round. Does that mean they are a great putter ?)
They might be, but impossible to tell from that round.
They have shown tremendous chipping ability.

Albo

Visit site
Not really a fair experiment taking the absolute best in putting but only adding 20 to your drives. More likely, add 80-100 to your drives and moving them onto a better line.
It was more about the argument that putting was a lottery/not a big differentiator, so take either the best or average and see how it nets out against a decent driver gain.

Albo

Visit site
I don’t think number of putts per round is the best stat for who is the best putter, it probably just identifies who has just missed the most greens in regulation.
Agreed but as a measure for the experiment using strokes gained wouldn’t really work

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Maybe I’m an outlier in this discussion, but as good but not very long as I am (usually) and accurate off the tee with driver; as relatively good as my short game 75yds in is; the limiting factor for me is that my iron play is generally pretty poor. Sort out my iron play and without me increasing my distance off the tee I can see me knocking 2.0 off my HI pretty sharpish. It’s a struggle, but one I am keen to engage in this year. Just wish it’d warm up a little…and I’d get out there more.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
When 8-times winner of European Order Of Merit, Colin Montgomerie was asked about what he might need to do in order to win a major, he said, "Tee-to-green I don't think I can get any better, but I need to hole more putts."

Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player were both great hitters, but each won their final major with great putting displays on the 4th day.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Yes it does because they holed out every time.

Teebs

Visit site
Shotscope is really good for this level of data, for me in 2023 so far

Fairway in regulation - 72%
Greens in regulation - 49%
Up & down success rate - 47%
30.6 putts per round / average of 1.9 per hole, but i'm only making 40% of 3-6ft putts and 9% of 9-12ft...

I know exactly where I need to improve...

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
In 2011, Luke Donald was the first player to win both money lists on the PGA and European Tours in the same year.
At the time, he was ranked 147 th in driving distance and 1st in putting

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m semi decent off the tee and generally straight but my putting is nothing short of atrocious, It’s that bad I’m going to get a lesson and hopefully it will give me a bit more confidence on the greens, Im basically the 3 putt king 😂
For me personally I’d say putting is more important 😀

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Shotscope is really good for this level of data, for me in 2023 so far

Fairway in regulation - 72%
Greens in regulation - 49%
Up & down success rate - 47%
30.6 putts per round / average of 1.9 per hole, but i'm only making 40% of 3-6ft putts and 9% of 9-12ft...

I know exactly where I need to improve...
3-6 ft putts covers a pretty broad make % for ams. 40% of 6 footers is pretty decent, 40% of 3 footers not so much.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Distance off the tee is a huge advantage, it often means you can carry the hazards, even for Pros where the course is supposedly set up for their length, but on our courses it makes a mockery of the hazards. Some have been moved over time but most courses Will have many if not all holes that were designed with hazards at driving distances from 1990 and before.

Handicaps are a distraction in this discussion as they're just a product of the sum of the golfer's abilities. Those abilities could be heavily weighted in one area making a poor driver or putter a good player.

The best players are good in all areas of the game but if you look at the very top, all players hit the ball a long way, you can't compete against the best on a 7,250+ yard course with a 250 yard drive.

And all courses should be 7,250+ yards these days to force the player to use the variety of clubs and shots that make the game interesting. (ie, not driver short iron on most par 4 holes and par 5s that need three shots)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I've said when this was discussed before... Think of strokeplay scoring in stableford

Driver will tell you if you'll even score on a hole, putter will tell you how many you'll score

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think I am fairly well qualified to answer this question seeing as I hit it miles but putt like Stevie Wonder with Parkinsons.

Bombing drives is great and all but sinking putts is better scoring wise.

I would lose 10 yards off the tee to make more putts

That's a very easy trade to make but the deal on the table is 40 yards shorter with driver and be a demon putter

Still Want to take it?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’m semi decent off the tee and generally straight but my putting is nothing short of atrocious, It’s that bad I’m going to get a lesson and hopefully it will give me a bit more confidence on the greens, Im basically the 3 putt king 😂
For me personally I’d say putting is more important 😀

Have you tried left hand low in combination with a grip like tour snsr. I'm way better on shorter putts these days.