The Golf Club 2

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Maybe I am weird, but I enjoy TGC2. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I am playing with tour clubs and am able to shoot under par just fine (Current in game HC +11).

With putting just get a feel for distances on the practise green and then it's not so bad, when the putter is about level with the golfers back foot the ball goes about 10ft on an average green, so just multiply how far you moved the mouse for this for more or less distance, also set the distance of the aiming marker for putts correctly as if you get the swing in the right ballpark it will base distance of where you set the aim point.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe I am weird, but I enjoy TGC2. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I am playing with tour clubs and am able to shoot under par just fine (Current in game HC +11).

With putting just get a feel for distances on the practise green and then it's not so bad..

Not weird at all, it’s a great solo round simulator.

All the fun of multiplayer is missing though. It’s a flop compared to the standards set by TW05/6/7 which were the best modern golf games ever made.

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
I have just bought it for the Xbox and love it - putting is hard but part of learning the game - of anyone starts a society let me know!

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;uhvpAnokl-k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhvpAnokl-k[/video]

Golf Club 2019 has been announced officially today and seems like EA have abandoned golf with The Golf Club taking on the PGA Tour license. Pretty cool, have enjoyed playing the first Golf Club as part of my Xbox Game Pass trial so excited for the new one with some licensed courses and the career mode sounds pretty cool. Good news for golf games!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tried TGC2 again the other day, still a half decent game completely ruined by broken putting. I don't expect to be worse at putting on a game than I am in real life! They should be some kind of assistance on judging length because it's a total farce at the minute. I was four-putting at least five times a round. It's either four feet short or rolls off the green on the other side! Judging the power is total guess work, might as well shut your eyes and do it.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Picked up TGC 2019 with the PGA Tour license last week for £20. Not really much licensing to shout about, just a few TPC courses and some tournament names. No real player names, no majors, just the rights to a few PGA Tour tournaments and rights to use the Fed Ex Cup. Game itself is a big improvement on the first one though gameplay wise, but boy is it tough. I'm playing the PGA Tour career on Hard and making top 10s is hard let alone winning. I've got it set to 1 round tournaments to make it a bit more challenging and having to chase down regular scores of -6 and -7 on some of these courses with the equipment I've got is brutally tough. Currently playing a 7,284 yard HB Official course where I'm struggling to reach some of the par 4s in two, it's brutal.

Putting is pretty hit and miss. When I'm concentrating on playing I can be pretty spot on and make plenty but turn the concentration off and it all goes wrong very quickly. Got on a par 5 in two earlier and walked away making a 7 footer for bogey :LOL: I like it though, it's nice to play a golf game that's actually hard and feels like I'm not going to be shooting -15 under every round once I've played it a bit longer like with the Rory game.

Also spent a good hour going through the list of PGA Tour players and changing all the names to real Tour Pro names and still only got about half way through the list. I got as far down the OWGR list as Patrick Rodgers before deciding to give up, there are so many players it's mental. My leaderboards are still full of random names as well. Current tournament has 4 out of the top 10 being random players, bit annoying, going to take forever to update them all.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Been thinking about firing up my Xbox and buying a gold game I used to like tiger woods PGA, was looking at TGC since this is an old thread what recommendations is there in 2019

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been thinking about firing up my Xbox and buying a gold game I used to like tiger woods PGA, was looking at TGC since this is an old thread what recommendations is there in 2019

TGC 2019 is the only new and remotely decent golf game on the Xbox at the minute. £24.99 at GAME at the minute which honestly is not a bad deal. I wouldn't have paid full price for this as the licensing is so bare but for that price it's a decent golf game. Loads of custom courses made by the community, some of which are incredible, the community made version of the Old Course I played was superb. Well worth a look.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Picked up TGC 2019 with the PGA Tour license last week for £20. Not really much licensing to shout about, just a few TPC courses and some tournament names. No real player names, no majors, just the rights to a few PGA Tour tournaments and rights to use the Fed Ex Cup. Game itself is a big improvement on the first one though gameplay wise, but boy is it tough. I'm playing the PGA Tour career on Hard and making top 10s is hard let alone winning. I've got it set to 1 round tournaments to make it a bit more challenging and having to chase down regular scores of -6 and -7 on some of these courses with the equipment I've got is brutally tough. Currently playing a 7,284 yard HB Official course where I'm struggling to reach some of the par 4s in two, it's brutal.

Putting is pretty hit and miss. When I'm concentrating on playing I can be pretty spot on and make plenty but turn the concentration off and it all goes wrong very quickly. Got on a par 5 in two earlier and walked away making a 7 footer for bogey :LOL: I like it though, it's nice to play a golf game that's actually hard and feels like I'm not going to be shooting -15 under every round once I've played it a bit longer like with the Rory game.

Also spent a good hour going through the list of PGA Tour players and changing all the names to real Tour Pro names and still only got about half way through the list. I got as far down the OWGR list as Patrick Rodgers before deciding to give up, there are so many players it's mental. My leaderboards are still full of random names as well. Current tournament has 4 out of the top 10 being random players, bit annoying, going to take forever to update them all.
Cheers for the review, but based on that I don't think I'll go for it. Sounds like putting is just as frustrating as it was on TGC2, on which I found it completely game-breaking.

We really are crying out for a new Tiger Woods / Rory game. Why did they stop making them?? Seems odd that they just pulled the plug.

I still play Everybody's Golf from time to time, can't beat it for a bit of arcade golf fun. (y)

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers for the review, but based on that I don't think I'll go for it. Sounds like putting is just as frustrating as it was on TGC2, on which I found it completely game-breaking.

We really are crying out for a new Tiger Woods / Rory game. Why did they stop making them?? Seems odd that they just pulled the plug.

I still play Everybody's Golf from time to time, can't beat it for a bit of arcade golf fun. (y)

Putting really isn't that gamebreaking, it's definitely better than it was on TGC1 (not played 2), and if you concentrate and take your time it's really not that hard at all. Long putting is definitely improved as well, my lag putting is so much more consistent that it ever was on TGC.

I'm guessing Rory PGA tanked so EA just let the license expire which allowed TGC to pick it up. EA were supposedly going to Rory it as a bi-annual release and keep the game up to date in the 2 years it was in cycle but that just never happened. They did 1 update to the major venues and then let it die. I'd like to see EA get back into golf, but don't see it happening anytime soon. I just hope TGC 2020 makes better use of the licensing, we get more official courses, player likenesses/names which will help build a proper career mode.

The one golf game I'm praying for this year is a new Mario Golf game on the Switch. I've got the N64 one on my Mac and it's so damn fun, a new version of that which you can play on the go on the Switch would be so good.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Putting really isn't that gamebreaking, it's definitely better than it was on TGC1 (not played 2), and if you concentrate and take your time it's really not that hard at all. Long putting is definitely improved as well, my lag putting is so much more consistent that it ever was on TGC.

I'm guessing Rory PGA tanked so EA just let the license expire which allowed TGC to pick it up. EA were supposedly going to Rory it as a bi-annual release and keep the game up to date in the 2 years it was in cycle but that just never happened. They did 1 update to the major venues and then let it die. I'd like to see EA get back into golf, but don't see it happening anytime soon. I just hope TGC 2020 makes better use of the licensing, we get more official courses, player likenesses/names which will help build a proper career mode.

The one golf game I'm praying for this year is a new Mario Golf game on the Switch. I've got the N64 one on my Mac and it's so damn fun, a new version of that which you can play on the go on the Switch would be so good.
Yeah, if they're going to bother acquiring the license then you want to see it chock full of famous players and courses really. Like Tiger Woods games always were.

When I say game-breaking I mean it literally ruined the game for me. I was 5 and 6 putting, it was just stupid. I'm all for challenging but not impossible. Maybe TGC3 is better than 2 in that regard, but I'm probably not going to throw money at it. If there was a new Tiger/Rory game out I probably would buy it to be fair. Last one of those I had was Tiger Woods 11 I think, donkey's year ago, but I felt that was a pretty good game, they had the balance of challenging and playable about right.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thing with last Rory game it was just a shell of a game, no real campaign or challenges as such and the pro tour season thing was poor. I bought it last year when it was on offer for about 3 quid and I barely play it. Those old TW games were awesome, I must have lost most of the 90s and early 2000s to those 😂

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
The TW Masters game was the one. Not only had the usual career mode but the historical Augusta-based challenges were incredible. Loved that game.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I bought TGC 2019 a while back. In my opinion, it's basically the same game as TGC2, with a few new courses and a slightly better single-player mode. The only reason it is really worth buying is if you loved playing TGC2 online, and need to move to the latest version to have online servers available.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
The TW Masters game was the one. Not only had the usual career mode but the historical Augusta-based challenges were incredible. Loved that game.

What's annoying from an xbox point of view is they don't seem to be adding TW games to the backwards compatibility list. Same with the John Madden games, none on the list the last time I looked.