Irons

Dan_Nicol

Visit site
Morning .All

I need some advise, im brand new to golf (started in lock down only been on a course once) go to the range as much as kids allow but im wanting to really start
making improvements and getting lessons etc. in lockdown i bought a Wilson Ultra XD complete set from AG. its not great at all.

So im wanting to get a decent set of irons to begin with that are for beginners, ive read some stuff online but not really sure what im looking at also looked on golf bidder again not 100%
on what im looking for.

read TaylorMade Sim2 Max are good for starters.

anyone any advise or links to buy anything or selling would be amazing

thank you

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You mentioned Golfbidder - I think they still have an indicator as to what handicap range each club is suitable for? So obviously look at the ones with maximum rating. You don't need the latest and greatest if you're just starting out, anything last ten or even fifteen years with plenty of forgiveness will be fine.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
It all depends on budget really.

Any of the following are great starter sets of irons IMO -

Wilson Staff D9/ Dynapower - cheaper and wont break your heart if you replace a few years down the line for a "more premium" brand
Ping G series - currently on G430 but G425 or G410 aint going to do you wrong.
Taylormade SIM or Stealth irons
Callaway Big Bertha

There's also far options more than those.. You just want something well made with Cavity backs.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agree with post 2 & 3.

Also, the default answer is a set from the Ping G range, G25, G30 will be fine. I'm still using G25 irons and they are very forgiving, hold their value as well.

Don't spend big, you may change your mind soon, as you get more into golf, and you don't want to be losing too much money.

Dan_Nicol

Visit site
Agree with post 2 & 3.

Also, the default answer is a set from the Ping G range, G25, G30 will be fine. I'm still using G25 irons and they are very forgiving, hold their value as well.

Don't spend big, you may change your mind soon, as you get more into golf, and you don't want to be losing too much money.

i was looking at these but again im not sure if that pricey for 6/10 condition.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

That's Ping irons for you! A used set of Wilson Staffs will be far less - which is why I mentioned them.

I used D9's from Beginner down to 12 handicap and only upgraded because Mizunos are just beautiful - they don't make me a better golfer :ROFLMAO:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I'd agree. They are also graphite shafts and they may not suit.

Patience is the key to this, take your time and look around all of the options.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Wilson D9s are great irons if you can find some for a good price. Golfclubs4cash also worth a look.
Also, I wouldn't necessarily rush to buy a driver. Start with irons and try a hybrid and 5 wood or similar at a range somewhere. See which you prefer and get one or both if you can hit both.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I was just looking at GBidder to see what else they had, lots to choose from for the OP... but jeez its all gone a bit expensive for 2nd hand gear. My 7yr old cobra irons in well used condition, are being sold for more now than I paid when I bought them brand new!

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I was just looking at GBidder to see what else they had, lots to choose from for the OP... but jeez its all gone a bit expensive for 2nd hand gear. My own 7yr old cobra irons in well used condition, are being sold for more now than I paid when I bought them brand new!
That began during Covid when all the OEMs had massive supply issues
Prices are slow to settle because new gear is eye wateringly expensive

Bobthesock

Visit site
There will be nothing wrong with the ones you have got unless you think you can break 100 pretty consistently. When I first started I told the pro my cheap clubs were no good, he hit 5 7 irons in a row straight at the 150 marker and said there is nothing wrong with them

D

Deleted member 1740

Golf bidder always rate there stuff lower than it actually is, so dont be put off. Also you get a 7day free returns with them too.