The Golf Club 2

RustyTom

Assistant Pro
Visit site
First impressions are good.

First round on an easy course off the front tees with an easy swing was -13... I have a feeling things will be a lot tougher when I balance out the settings.

Course design has the features I though were missing. I am already polishing off an imported course that I did for the first game.

Then on to designing a new one.

Science boy, what's an "easy swing"? I've tried all different speeds of pulling back and pushing thru the stick and I always get bad or very bad or slow or very slow.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Science boy, what's an "easy swing"? I've tried all different speeds of pulling back and pushing thru the stick and I always get bad or very bad or slow or very slow.

On the main screen you can select on of 3 swig difficulties. Standard, Player and Tour I think. I missed one fairway and still made birdie. Only had one bogey and that was due to not having the feel for chip and pitch shots sorted.

I play with a steam controller and left stick swing, no idea why but I prefer that...

I would also like to master mouse swinging but I don't have a good mouse mat at the moment so it always gets kicked offline.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Using a controller is so much easier than the mouse, an Xbox 360 controller is perfect.

Now to the swing issue it is all about tempo. You cannot stop at the top of the swing it needs to be 1 fluid motion, all the way back and all the way forward. You also need to do it at the correct pace, not too fast and not too slow just sure and steady but as mentioned in 1 fluid motion. Think of it like a pendulum. The old way and the Tiger Woods games let you do whatever you wanted like pull it up 3/4 and stop and then bring it down. TGC2 will not allow this or rather it will mean fast or slow. Fast shots go left and slow shots go right.

There are 3 types of golf clubs you can select.

Standard - Beginner clubs, very forgiving even out side the cone and stay pretty straightish however distance is between 240 and 260 with a driver and little spin control on the irons.

Players - Longer clubs, more spin and control but less forgiving on poor shots however distance increase is big driver is 270-300. A good example is the Pitching wedge is 120 with Players and 109 with Standard. Also with using loft it is possible to get more back spin or spin control compared to standard.

Tour Clubs - max distance, control and spin but very little room for error, no forgiveness at all, be prepared to hunt the ball in the woods.

I find Players is good for me for now, best is -5 with them.

However putting is tough. Once you hit the harder courses with fast sloped greens it is really hard work. You have to take the approach like real golf with getting it close and not going past the hole and down the slope off the green. The touch and feel is hard to get at times.

I have a handicap of 3.7 but I am sure you could get it lower by playing 5 rounds on the simplest course. I suggest playing it on 5 difficult courses to get a more reasonable HC. I did 2 rounds on the easiest and 3 on hard ones for mine.

Look me up on steam if you want to play user Reemul or want any advice or help not that I am that great but I can do the tempo and straight part just putting that is killing me.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any idea if you can play cross format between Xbox One and windows. Thinking of picking it up on my xbox and would be great to get a round in with some of you PC lot.

RustyTom

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I found out what my issue was this morning... I was using tour clubs!! No wonder I was struggling to even make a par, let alone break par.

First round with the standard clubs was -7, played a few more rounds but on harder courses and have yet to beat it.

Handicap is 4.8 I think, but 2 rounds were played with tour clubs.

I have now switched to player irons but not played with them yet.

Anyone on the ps4 add me Rusty_Spanner. Il be up for a game whenever I'm on.

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Got this game last month (i think) at 15.99 in Argos, only played about 10 rounds.

Really enjoying it, but my god the Handicap system is hard to work out!! As is the "society" stuff.
At the moment, just playing the handicap courses to lower it!

Played the obligatory Augusta and a few other famous ones

just starting to get used to the swing and putting stroke.
(X-box one - tag Fak3Snake feel free to add me if you want)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I keep meaning to get back into course design but I’m either too tired to concentrate on it or don’t have the time. Before my tot I used to sit down to 8 hour sessions and build half a course. Could knock out a decent play tested course in a few weeks. Now I can’t finish a hole.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No, I'm waiting for the new Everybody's Golf at the end of August. It's been a long wait though.

Having done basically everything there is to do in Everybody's Golf now, I saw that Golf Club 2 was reduced to £13 to download from PS Store, so I downloaded it last night. Haven't had a chance to try it yet. Does it have real life courses and players on it or not?

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It has user designed courses, of which there are a whole bunch of real courses, some designed better than others.

If there are a few people on this forum playing, I will set up a society.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It has user designed courses, of which there are a whole bunch of real courses, some designed better than others.

If there are a few people on this forum playing, I will set up a society.
Dunno what that means since I haven't even fired it up yet, but count me in. Haha.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well I played it last night - absolutely awful. Had potential as a decent game but as soon as you get to the green it goes to pot. Judging putt length is utterly impossible, you just guess and hit and hope. Lost count of how many four-putts I did last night, even did a five putt at one point. Completely ruins the game. £13 down the pan!

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well I played it last night - absolutely awful. Had potential as a decent game but as soon as you get to the green it goes to pot. Judging putt length is utterly impossible, you just guess and hit and hope. Lost count of how many four-putts I did last night, even did a five putt at one point. Completely ruins the game. £13 down the pan!

I had the first one and it was rock hard, best bit was playing the crazy courses people had made so maybe try that, there's also some very picturesque if you search hard enough. Short game is nigh on impossible to get good at, driving is also twitchy with barely any forgiveness. I didn't bother with the second one but paid 3 or 4 quid for Rory golf the other month, much better IMO.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had the first one and it was rock hard, best bit was playing the crazy courses people had made so maybe try that, there's also some very picturesque if you search hard enough. Short game is nigh on impossible to get good at, driving is also twitchy with barely any forgiveness. I didn't bother with the second one but paid 3 or 4 quid for Rory golf the other month, much better IMO.
The last Rory game from a couple of years ago got shocking reviews. I'm sure when it was Tiger Woods PGA they used to release one every year, wonder why they've slowed it down so much? Golf Club 2 got better reviews but honestly, the putting is so stupid. It tells you length of putt in feet, but you're expected to completely guess how much power that means you need to put on, i.e. how far back you swing the putter. I've had putts roll off the green and other putts that only went 6 inches. It's an utterly daft system. Everything else I actually liked - even chipping onto the green, which was very challenging but not impossible at least. The putting system is just game-breaking though.

Guess I'll be going back to Everybody's Golf. I love EG, I only got TGC because of the more variety of courses you can play.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
EA said when they released Rory it wouldn't be an annual title but there has been no news on an updated version for a long time. It's not the best - limited number of courses, no playoffs if you tie the lead on Sunday in career mode which is so dumb and it gets dull quickly once you've unlocked everything but it's not a terrible game. It's no Tiger 2012 Masters though, that game was awesome, wish it was backwards compatible.

I played TGC 1 via xbox game pass and didn't find it too bad, only took me a few rounds to get used to the short game, was shooting some good scores pretty quickly.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
EA said when they released Rory it wouldn't be an annual title but there has been no news on an updated version for a long time. It's not the best - limited number of courses, no playoffs if you tie the lead on Sunday in career mode which is so dumb and it gets dull quickly once you've unlocked everything but it's not a terrible game. It's no Tiger 2012 Masters though, that game was awesome, wish it was backwards compatible.

I played TGC 1 via xbox game pass and didn't find it too bad, only took me a few rounds to get used to the short game, was shooting some good scores pretty quickly.
The last Tiger Woods game I had was 11 on PS3. I thought it was a decent game. Got it when it was already a couple of years old and in the bargain bin, so it was a decent investment at the time. I still have my PS3 in the lounge so can go back to it very occasionally.

My first game on TGC2 last night, maybe walking before I could run but with the Masters fever I searched for Augusta National and played that. Went round in 98. :confused: I five-putted a par 3 for a 7 at one point. Complete joke. I wish there was a good Tiger/Rory PGA game coming out. As I said earlier, Everybody's Golf is a brilliant game, but every now and then you want to the real life courses.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have The Golf Club 2 on PC and don't find it that bad. I did have to slow my mouse speed right down as my swing kept getting too fast and kept hooking everything. It always takes me a few holes to get the speed and rhythm back though.

I don't find putting and short game that bad at all. I normally putt pretty well on it. Think my best round is about 5 or 6 under.

It is a really difficult game and look at it as more of a simulator rather than an arcade style game. It is a completely different type of game than Tiger Woods and you have to concentrate a lot while playing it. Not like Tiger Woods where you can spin the ball in the air!

Stick with it and practice, slow everything down and focus on rhythm, it is good fun when you get a bit better and can shoot some low rounds.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have The Golf Club 2 on PC and don't find it that bad. I did have to slow my mouse speed right down as my swing kept getting too fast and kept hooking everything. It always takes me a few holes to get the speed and rhythm back though.

I don't find putting and short game that bad at all. I normally putt pretty well on it. Think my best round is about 5 or 6 under.

It is a really difficult game and look at it as more of a simulator rather than an arcade style game. It is a completely different type of game than Tiger Woods and you have to concentrate a lot while playing it. Not like Tiger Woods where you can spin the ball in the air!

Stick with it and practice, slow everything down and focus on rhythm, it is good fun when you get a bit better and can shoot some low rounds.
I didn't have much problem with the general shots, I actually liked that part of it, getting the timing right and even using the draw and fade was fun. I usually got on or near the green in the requisite number of shots, but the putting just totally ruined it. Much too difficult to judge the distance and pace needed. It gives you no assistance at all. e.g. when playing an approach shot it tells you the flag is 45 yards away and your club distance is 55, so you know to add loft slightly to get nearer the pin, but when you're on the green it tells you the distance and you're expected to randomly guess how much putter swing that translates to.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed some of it, if my approach shot was really good I was making a few birdies, but then another four putt was always just round the corner, destroying the round.