• Jack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tiger

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DCB

Visit site
Seems like a good idea.

It would also be a good way of finding out who's in your own area as well as it would be better to meet up and share travel costs etc.

N W area seems like a good option for most people I would think.

DB

Lloydy84

Assistant Pro
Visit site
WOW! looks like i've missed a lot in the last few days. Would love to meet you all and always up for a round of golf. but i cannot drive!, no i don't mean i haven't hit a fairway this decade, lol. i mean i'm only 14 yrs old so count me out for now.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have just got my wife to sign my pink slip letting me away for the weekend in the spring and she says I am a sad B'stard playing golf with 30 guys whom I have never clapped my eyes on.

Hmph !!!!!!!!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surprisingly I have my pink ticket signed as well. OK, had to take my wife for a few drinks first but after that full permission was granted (though admitedly she may not remember tomorrow)

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Go on Lloydy 84! its a forum meet for all members, regardless of age etc. Get you father involved also, father and son on this forum could prove interesting.

I have also been called a sad man by the Mrs for wanting to spend a weekend away with a group of randoms. They just dont understand do they!

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've just caught up with this thread and I sounds very interesting. I'm certainly up for it and since I live in Llangollen, North Wales, the favoured venues mentioned would suit me fine, although for a good weekend of golf I would be willing to travel many many miles.

It seems that some co-ordination on car sharing would be advantageous. If we were going to somewhere around Liverpool or Mancheter area, I could certainly meet up with Cosworth from South wales, and Foreleft at Chester for example. I'm sure the guys from the South and Scotland could also get together over this.

Add me to the list please. the only date restriction is that it must be anytime from January to December.

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My goodness lads. I didnt think we'd get as much interest in a day out.

Bunker are you still going to arrange this and be our 1st Captain? North of England would suit me, unfortunately I'd have to bring my caddy as she also is my wife. Who else would clean my balls for me?
I hope brendy from CO Down would be comming aswell he and I could travel together. Brendy r u still living?

Any chance of an update of the list? Bunker?

GM are very quiet this weather maybe it's to cold for them!!!!

BunkerMentality123

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Chaps,

Hope you all had a great w/e and some good golf was played by all. I personally has a great day on Saturday, took my Better half and our little lad out (10yrs old) for a round on our local par 3 course and managed to shoot a very handsome 2 over, which was a nice boost to my short game. Terrible weather on Sunday, so decided no golf as staying indoors just seemed more appealing.

Any how back to the matter in hand.

Looking at the numbers we now have interest from 28 forum members

10 from various parts of England, could be boosted by 2 more if Lloydy84 can persuade his father!

9 from Scotland - Apologies to the belgie 24 (didn't spot yr location in yr profile)

2 from Ireland

2 from Wales

Also interest from Wicket94 and realgolfuk (but not sure where they are from

The is a poll up on this page (page 6) so if you could indicate availability that would help. To date dates seem pretty even, but we can get a firmer idea later on.

Regarding a course I'm liking the look of Hillside (Merseyside) at the moment, but any other suggestions would be welcome.

Things to consider are:

Can they accomodate a society of this size, and would they let us on at the weekend?

Hotel availability in that area.

Travel arrangements (I could travel with MedwayJon, anyone else in the Kent area please let me know and we can see how we go).

As for actually arranging the day, not sure how people want to play this, do we do a block booking for accomodation, if so I will need to collect some money up front (if they want a deposit!!!)

Not sure this would be the case with the golf, but we need to investigate.

Any ideas and suggestions of how we are going to sort this out would be welcome bearing in mind that none of us have ever met, and collecting money etc may cause a few logitical problems.

One suggestion would be to set up a central bank account, where people can tfr money in by their computer and then this can be drawn out to pay anything as it becomes due.

My only difficulty in arranging this fully is time, as I would not have time to consistently chase people due to job commitments etc.

If you really want to come please consider these few little hurdles and I would be happy to take up the mantle of organising and being Honorary Captain for the day if that's what everyone wants.

If anybody would like to put themselves forward to help out, particularly if you know the area that would be especially helpful.

I have also sent an email to GM and currently await a response.

Cheers. :cool:

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Block booking for hotel and golf course = These problems could be overcome by having a refernce number or word when booking with the hotel. This would identify ouselves as one large group, less stress for you having to book for everybody. And you dont have to deal with random peoples money.
As for the golf? could we each send a cheque or pay over the phone for our round?
With regard to the location, will these courses alow visiters with no handicap certificate?
Travel arrangements, any body living near Surrey?

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
welcome back bunker,
Hopefully GM will get back to you and maybe we could get them to take the payments. Or if you can get intouch with the hotels and course and say that people will be ringing up to book themselves. Early April would be best for me. Looking forward to hearing more about this venture

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
The hotels I use when staying over with work usually NEVER ask for advanced payment and they also allow cancelations to be made as late as 24 hours before the stay.

The problem I can see is that if we all start booking individually the hotel gets a whiff of how busy it will be they may up the anti and charge more as it starts to fill up.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Hi all

sorry for the slow response but I have been out of the office for a few days

I think this is a great idea and have emailed bunkermentality to say we'd like to get invloved and help organise a day - format could either be a ryder cup style Forum vs GM staff or one big individual comp - and then perhaps even run a review piece in the mag

regarding venues I think somewhere like a marriott type course in the NW or midlands (rather than a private members club) most likely in terms of being able to swing a deal/get a big group booking

In terms of timing I agree the thoughts on post easter/Masters when the weather should be better

I'll have a think on and put out some feelers re venues etc

cheers
MikeH (GM Editor)