Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tiger

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BunkerMentality123

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Guys,

Picking up on a suggestion from Tpred (under the thread "Was my post removed")

What would you all reckon on a Forum Users Golf Day?

I think this could be a nice way to put names to faces and would provide some useful page filling potential for the magazine (much like the "PARROT" article in November's issue).

What does everyone think, and what would be on your wish list of great courses to play?

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are a few of us on here who reside in one of the British colonies (Scotland) and I think it would only be fair to host the event at 'The Home of Golf'(St Andrews).

But being realistic, lets split the difference and have it half way. Somewhere like Lytham St Annes or Hoylake. That is about a 4 hour drive for me and I could squeeze another 3 players and clubs into my company Yaris too.

BunkerMentality123

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If there is enough interest then maybe we could get GM on board.

What about somewhere like the Belfry. If we were to make a weekend of it it would need to be somewhere with Hotel facilities etc!!

More further afield and we could go to Celtic Manor or even the K Club!

We need a comment from someone involved in the magazine..... now where's that moderator when you need him?

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was at the Belfry 3 weeks ago and they wanted £300+ for a room. Not a chance.

I think we should be mindful of a coule of things here;

I doesn't have to be an all singing all dancing affair. A simple round of golf with a meal afterwards would sufice.

There are guys on here who will have to travel from far and wide and by the time it gets set up will at the earliest be 4 weeks before Christmas.

GM are not Nike or Callaway and we will be lucky if they can provide a GM t-shirt and a sleeve of balls. So they are not going to be a cash cow to fund this. This will be at our own expense.

BunkerMentality123

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I was suggesting that GM get involved what I actually meant was that they maybe able to pull a few strings to get us all onto a nice course, rather than them funding it, especially if there was an article written about it in the magazine giving coverage etc.

I would fully expect to pay for myself, just wasn't sure how accessible some of the "bigger" courses were to joe public!

I've never been involved in trying to book Society Golf any where so I'm guessing it will take some organising!

Does anyone have any suggestions based on previous good experiences.

On a more personal/selfish note, I am out of action for December as am getting married and off on honeymoon, so was thinking post Christmas (which is also an expensive time for most). Also would be nice to do something in the spring when the weather gets better.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I think that if we are going to do it we should make arrangements for a time when we are not dangerously gambling with weather ruining proceedings.

Maybee a spring meet would be the way forward here as for some it would be a git to drive 4 hours and then find a closed course due to mother nature thrwing a hissy-fit!

What does everybody else reckon?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Certainly would interest me. Spring would be ideal as would have a new holiday allowance to use at work (this years is all gone)

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Count me in!

What format will we play?

Could have a second day of play in a ryder cup style,
forum vs GM??

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would love to have a wee Forumers Golf Day to put some faces to names.

As Madandra says, us guys from "the colonies", especially our many newbies from Norn Irn are a little far flung from such delights as the Belfry and our English and Welsh guys are a little distant from St Andrews. His suggestion of somewhere around Liverpool (ferries?) seems a cracking idea and one I'd be up for.

There are amazing courses around that area such as Hillside and Formby, both of which I've played and would be willing to travel to again. Either that or we organise our own events in our own wee parts of these islands. But it would be better to mix, I think.

As far as dates are concerned would it not be logical to wait until March/April to allow everyone to plan (and save a little if necessary).

I've organised a few golf trips with mates and you can often get deals if you have numbers. And if GM were able to contribute an introduction rather than cash then I'm sure we'd all have a great and affordable day.

There. Hope it works out.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm up for it. Not sure where everyone is situated in relation to me (Bracknell/Reading in sunny Berkshire). It seems most of the users are from northern or Scottish ilk so I'd like my deep wussy southern shandy drinking location taken into account when venues are agreed.

I can't help agreeing that GM will only be able to facilitate using a decent course and we should not be looking for some sponsored freebie jolly.

Anyway better get on with work now (boss on the horizon!)

Happy golfing

Homer

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
This could either be great fun or highly embarrassing - but what the hell!

I bet by now we all have images of each other - how few will be right I wonder?