• Friday 16th August 2019

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Thursday 15th August 2019

Votes: 35 87.5%

• Total voters

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Cracking day, I played rubbish as per usual (apart from a glorious 5 iron approach to the 8th) but had a really good day and great to catch up with everyone.

Well done Robin and helpers.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hope all went well mate, unfortunately I am away enjoying beer and food with kids for a few days. Hopefully make next year.

Midnight...

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Great day once again, thanks to Bill Elliott (GM) and Mark (Bigfoot) for their company,

Robin, both my guests really enjoyed the day and no doubt will return for the next one

Thanks Rob.

It was an excellent day in yours and Bill's company. The stories were fascinating from both. The course, weather and food superb.

Well done Robin.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Top day , well done Robin, great organisation (y)

Many thanks to my playing partners Mike Harris (GM Top man ) and Rob Stokes ( Coventry Club Captain) , we seemed to chat all the way round, hit some good shots and some duffers but had a laugh and a thoroughly enjoyable day , I'm sure Rick would approve :D:D

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fantastic day out today thoroughly enjoyed it.
Thanks to my chauffeur for the day Twire great company both ways.
Well done to Robin and all involved in laying on a great day.
Thanks to all at Coventry golf course in making us so welcome.
Thanks to my playing partners Stu and Dave for the laughs and fistings(Kraxx new offerings such a pleasure to play with you guys.
Thought it could be my day after 6 pars and an eagle for the first 7 holes,unfortunately couldn’t see it through.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Great day and well organised Robin.

Thanks to my playing partners Michael (Treeseeker) and Stan for an enjoyable time on the course. After a slow start and living up to his forum name, Treeseeker strung together a number of pars and turned what may been been an average round into a very good one. You've got great distance and I've never seen anyone stand over putts and hit the ball so quickly before whilst being accurate. Congratulations on winning today, none of us expected, least of all you, that 35 points would be enough, but it was a long course off of the whites with a fairly stiff breeze. Your face, when announced the winner, was one of genuine surprise. It shouldn't be long before you break 20 and get somewhat lower than that.

I drove the ball really well today, as I have done for some time, but the rest of the game was very hit and miss. I even got to write my name on a long drive marker for the first time ever. Probably helped that we were the first group on that hole and no doubt it was beaten by someone in the second group.

Full Throttle, would be good to get Stan to join another forum meet, as you say I believe he seemed to enjoy the day.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
To echo, well done Robin and assistants. Great day and enjoyed the course. Hopefully will return and score a little better. Cheers to Dufferman (well done on those birdies) and our other guest for the game.

Kraxx68

Head Pro
Visit site
Total of 442.5 miles to play a game of golf, but What an incredible day Robin Hopkins put on one hellava event on today for our long lost but never to be forgotten friend ‘Rick Garg' - thanks to my playing partners today Tony Reed & Dave Spratt well played guys ⛳️🏌🏻‍♂️👌🏻 & thanks Tony for dads whiskey 🥃❤️

Coventry GC should be well applauded for the course conditions today, was in amazing condition considering the weather we had recently, and was so nice of the sun to show itself for the day, the greens & course were immaculate... quite remarkable, well done Greens keepers team... The Team at CGC put on a great spread, so one well fed Geordie...

Thanks Robin, so glad we could make it this year, and rota permitting, I'll defo be back with wor kid, Dave 'Khamelion' Spratt next year. (y)

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Great playing with Mike and Stan absolutely unforgettable day, with a painful start (4 points after 5 holes...). The course was a fantastic challenge giving nothing away, really impressed at the condition, 5 stars on the food.

As GG26 suggest I made my name loud and clear, on a quick countback I managed to hit a remarkable 13 trees during the round, lucky for some? Anyone who watched me take on the putting challenge would not have assumed it, but my putting was the real scoring point today holing quite a few from long range to keep my putts well below 2 per hole.

Already looking forward to defending next year, although hopefully with a lower handicap, and hitting less trees.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
After reading some great comments, it's made all the tiredness from organizing this day for over a year right up to saying goodbye to everyone after yesterday so worth while, thank you.

Thank you to everyone who came from far & wide to celebrate the life of and play a round of golf to remember our good friend Rick Garg.

It's testament to how far some traveled that Rick was held in such high regard by so many, and those that didn't know of him personally, almost wish they did after hearing all the stories told and great comments about him.

Huge thanks to our main sponsors Stewart Golf, Lamkin Grips, Galvin Green & RMH Same Day Couriers.

Also thanks to everyone off the Golf Monthly Forum who sponsored holes & challenges.

The prize table swelled so much I had to add an extra table to the end, so again thanks to everyone who brought something along.

Thanks to my helpers on the day, without you I'd have been even more stressed, but you took the pressure off me and allowed me to enjoy the day also.

Thank you to eCaddy for the use of your Trike, I will liaise with those that used it and tried it and report back and write a review.

Huge thanks to my club Coventry Golf Club and my Captain & Pro who both played in the day.

Thanks to my greens staff, the comments of the course were excellent, they braved the elements and were out early for me raking all the bunkers, pushing the standing water off the greens to cut them so we could play in the best conditions possible, the course is a credit to you all.

Thanks to Mike Harris and the Golf Monthly staffers who all came along and played, all your support is so appreciated.

Last but far from least, thank you to Karen (Rick's wife) for attending with her twin sister (Tracy) in support, it was great that you came and that we shared a few stories together, I hope to see you both again in the near future as Rick's legacy of the Help for Heroes charity lives on and this day in his name will be something else to look forward to each year to remember someone who had such a positive impact on all our lives.

We have raised £2,265.00 for the British Heart Foundation (#BHF) which is a great achievement in only it's 2nd year, I couldn't have done this without everyone's support, so I thank you all very much.

I apologize if I have forgotten anyone, I fell asleep as soon as I got home and have now, as usual, woke up at silly o'clock.

Well done to all the winners, I'll post separately a list of those who came in the frame, no runaway scores this year and a lot of count-back scores going right to the wire.

Here's looking to next year...

IMG_6250.JPG
IMG_6251.JPG
IMG_6252.JPG
IMG_6253.jpg
IMG_6255.JPG
IMG_6254.JPG
IMG_6258.JPG
IMG_6259.JPG
IMG_6260.JPG
IMG_6263.JPG

Last edited:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Winners & Riders.

Nearest the pin 5th: Dufferman
Nearest the pin 7th: Phil Harbord
Nearest the pin 15th: Dave Roddis
Nearest the pin 17th Martin Sutliff

Nearest the pin in 2: Fish :cool:
Nearest the pin in 3: Andy Thomas

Longest Drive 6th: Jason Smith
Longest Drive 16th: Joel Tadman

Longest Put competition: Upsidedown

Rickg Trophy:

3rd: Damien Darby
2nd: Joel Tadman
1st (Guest) Jason Smith

1st prize and our new holder and recipient of the Rickg Memorial Trophy, on his first meet with 35 points.

Treeseeker (y)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Winners & Riders.

Nearest the pin 5th: Dufferman
Nearest the pin 7th: Phil Harbord
Nearest the pin 15th: Dave Roddis
Nearest the pin 17th Martin Sutliff

Nearest the pin in 2: Fish :cool:
Nearest the pin in 3: Andy Thomas

Longest Drive 6th: Jason Smith
Longest Drive 16th: Joel Tadman

Longest Put competition: Upsidedown

Rickg Trophy:

3rd: Damien Darby
2nd: Joel Tadman
1st (Guest) Jason Smith

1st prize and our new holder and recipient of the Rickg Memorial Trophy, on his first meet with 35 points.

Treeseeker(y)
Congrats on a great day. Glad the weather played ball and you got the reward for the immense effort and time you put in. Hopefully I'll be free next year to come up and play. Well done once again and take some time to chill and enjoy your own golf now

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I can only echo what everyone else has said Robin, cracking day, well organised. Thanks to all concerned, and a big thanks to Robin for all your hard work.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tony, I knew that Dave & Stu were great guys, but that really is going above and beyond :eek:

Lol yes mate when me and Dave heard the word fistings first time we were quite worried,actually it was the American fist pumping after every good par or birdie or eagle.
Stus actual words were “ I can see me giving you lots of fistings “ of course you had to be there at the time but it made us laugh:)

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Great day and great course. Martin the pro and Joel from golf monthly were superb company and all the banter made up for my crap golf on the day, looking for to come back next year

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can only echo what has already been said. Great day out just a shame my golf game decided to stay at home. Big thanks to P1ng and to Nick ( GM staffer) for being perfect playing partners .unfortunately for P1ng his game turned up an hour or so late as his back nine was proper golf as opposed to his front nine which was as bad as his back nine was good. I had great fun using the e-caddy trike which is a seriously mean bit of kit.more of which I will write about later when I do a proper review of it.

Back to the day and Robin obviously worked extremely hard in making it an absolute pleasure for all that attended ,he has already got irons in the fire for next year's event. I don't think we can thank him enough for all his hard work. Thank you Robin.
The day raised well in excess of 2k and that is all down to all of those that contributed to the cause. So a big pat on the back must go to each and every one. A big thanks must go to the GM staff and of course to Coventry golf club without who's very generous courtesy of the course we wouldn't have raised anywhere near the monies raised.
I'm looking forward to doing this again next year as the course was in great condition and the food was excellent .once again many thanks Robin for a very well presented day and for all your hard work

Last edited: